TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1137 138 139 140 141151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It would be fun to see him in an LMP1 seat but...seems like he's more interested in living a non-racing life (at least in the immediate future).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow, wasn't expecting that....just hope he doesn't pull an Alan Jones. AJ was pretty similar situation, only to realize that he still had the racing bug, after doing various F1 one offs.....ended his career driving a Beatrice. Never heard of Beatrice? Yeah....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/181 ... retirement

Hamilton

Quote:
"Of course it is a shame that he won't allow me to fight it to take it back, but that was his choice and I respect his decision -- go out on top while you can. I have a different viewpoint. I won the championship the last two years and I gave an opportunity each year to have another shot for someone.

"That is genuinely how I am and I consistently believe in my ability and what I can do each year. Even if I was to win again most likely I'd like to get another opportunity. I like being challenged by different competitors, but again we have been racing for 18 years so it's not the worst scenario."

He can't help but to take a petty pot shot at him. This is why on a personal level I think Hamilton is a petulant prick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:15 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's entirely on how you read it

If Schumacher or Senna had said those things everyone would be praising them for being 100% focused, taking racing to the extreme, eat, sleep, drink racing and all that sports psychology shite.

Because Hamilton says it, he's taking potshots.
Hell, Hamilton can't even love his dog without a huge wave of shitposting "OMG you LOVE your DOG? What a prick you are, how dare you love a dog, you're the only person in the world to love a dog so much they share posts about them on social media, fuck you prick, cats are way better!" etc

From the hints I've seen over social media you could argue that Nico has taken this decision because on top of all this family stuff he also wants to salvage this friendship with lewis hamilton that went back to when they were both 8 years old, something that fighting for the world title at the very top of the sport wouldn't let them be.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Senna chews out Prost's 1993 plans during the Portuguese GP of 1992, everyone lauds him
Hamilton says he's disappointed he can't fight to earn the title back off Nico, he's taking a potty shot

Talk about reading between the lines that are between the lines

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
webbsy wrote:
He can't help but to take a petty pot shot at him. This is why on a personal level I think Hamilton is a petulant prick.

Refer my previous post.

Did he need take a pot shot? Probably not. Is he right? Damn straight he is.

We have a saying here, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

The same can easily be said for the spoken word, he could easily had said "I wish him well in the future" but no, not Lewis, he just can't help himself.

Will be interesting to see if as kals says, Bottas goes to Merc and starts being a thorn in Lewis's side, see how he responds to that as Lewis seems to be very good at pissing off team mates.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Or a few of you anti-Lewis guys are just reading something that isn't there? You know, this is the same Lewis that publicly congratulated Nico through various social media platforms this week. Or are you just going to gloss over that because it doesn't help your narrative against Lewis?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kals that's a petty pot shot by anyones measure. As Ian said a simple good luck buddy is sufficient enough.

I agree that there is alot of stupid shit said about Hamilton and most of it just that stupid shit, but that is pretty low of him to take a parting shot at him like that. He has just called him a pussy and that he is better than him. Subjectively yes Hamilton is a better driver than him but don't be a dick about it and then not expect people to call you out for it.

I'm not anti Hamilton, I actually really really like him as a driver, I just think he is a dick lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:58 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I only care about them when they have the helmets on.
But the anti-hamilton hate has been some of the worst vitriol I've ever seen in F1, Schumacher kind of had the same thing from a minority of fans, (and he kind of did himself no favours it with his blatent low points such as Adelaide 94, Jerez 97, Monaco 06 et al) but there was a lot more either genuine MS/Ferrari fans or glory supporting casual fans that could shout them down and balance them out back then

Now it seems there's either "OMG LEWIS IS THE GREATEST, NICO WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE MERCEDES DRAW BEFORE THE START OF THE SEASON SO THEY SABOTAGED LEWIS' CAR ALL YEAR, LUCKY FUCK ROSBERG, TRUE CHAMPION LEWIS!!!" fanaticalism
Or "What a fucking arrogant shit driver Lewis is, it's totally the car, he was favoured by Mclaren, stormed out of that team when it wasn't going his way, then lucked into the best car on the grid and still he's not happy!"

Where's the genuine Motorsport fans who happen to be Lewis fans?
Keeping silent, I imagine, so they don't get lumped in with the fanatics.
At least I hope that's the case.

I admit Lewis gets up to stuff I couldn't give a shit about when he's outside of the car, but to be frank, I'm not in his demographic.
I don't like the same type of music he does, I don't hero worship the same idols he does, he doesn't ping my radar much at all with what he gets up to outside the car.
But those who don't like him yet seem to track him through his life, posting shit to social media about stuff he gets up to they don't approve of? God's sake, he's a driver, you like or hate him for what he does inside the car, outside of it, he's a free agent.
Otherwise all the other shit the drivers get up to will overload your bullshit meter too.

Saying that, I'm not the kind of Lewis fan to decy the achievements of Nico either.
While I believe Lewis is the better driver (and in the wet it's not even a question),
there's no point trying to belittle Nico's performances because for 3 years he's been the yardstick of which we've measured Lewis by.
If you say Nico is shit, then Lewis' relative skill level is reduced because he's barely beat him
Now the F1 world has woken up to Nico's skill, maybe they'll realise it wasn't all the car, Mercedes did a great job hiring 2 fantastic drivers and letting them actually RACE wheel to wheel for 3 years.

So for that I'll always be thankful for Nico, for 2 years he came as close as anyone has got to Lewis and the 3rd time out, he beat him
Without Nico, these last 3 years would've been a Schumacher/Barrichello, Alonso/Fishichella or Vettel Webber boring whitewash.
So thanks to Nico, thanks to Lewis and big thanks to Mercedes.

Sorry, that was a long post. It's been building for a while

TL;DR,
Tribalism is ruining F1 fandom. Lewis is good. Nico is Good. I'm glad I got to see them race these past 3 years.
(Next year obv we're back to red bull secretly favouring one driver over another while pretending they're not ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

webbsy wrote:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18187120/lewis-hamilton-not-surprised-nico-rosberg-shock-retirement

Hamilton

Quote:
"Of course it is a shame that he won't allow me to fight it to take it back, but that was his choice and I respect his decision -- go out on top while you can. I have a different viewpoint. I won the championship the last two years and I gave an opportunity each year to have another shot for someone.

"That is genuinely how I am and I consistently believe in my ability and what I can do each year. Even if I was to win again most likely I'd like to get another opportunity. I like being challenged by different competitors, but again we have been racing for 18 years so it's not the worst scenario."

Well what else were you expecting? It is Lewis after all...always has to be about him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not a "Lewis fan" but I don't see how what he said is wrong or offensive or a "pot shot" at Nico. They're different people so they obviously have different needs and desires.

And to be honest, I would've said the same thing as Lewis. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:51 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
funny thing is if they kept that numbering Ferrari would be still holding 27 and 28, after staying nearly a decade with Benetton/Renault and one year with McLaren

Not so sure of that, because I think they would have filled the gaps at some point. During the last season of that system, biggest number was 30 and the empty ones were 13 and 18. Larrousse entered but never participated which made 19 and 20 not used during the season either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:36 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Karan wrote:
webbsy wrote:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18187120/lewis-hamilton-not-surprised-nico-rosberg-shock-retirement

Hamilton

Quote:

Well what else were you expecting? It is Lewis after all...always has to be about him.

Yeah, let's just say that it's his nature that echoes his competitive nature and selfawareness. He just keeps going few clicks over the line from being a race driver to being a prick.

There would be less haters without the bandwagon of giant douches and if he could be on the good side of that line. Same can be said about Vettel and Schumacher too. It's not easy to be on the spotlight all the time and media just wants to sell stories, underlining the topicworthy phrases that the superstars are saying. Prost, Häkkinen and Nico doesn't make as much good stories on the other hand.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lewis always seemed like a likeable lad when he first came in to F1. He is a bit a prick nowadays but I don't really see that he's said anything that bad on this occasion. As Codename said he has been fairly gracious to Nico on various social media forms this week

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Bleu wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
funny thing is if they kept that numbering Ferrari would be still holding 27 and 28, after staying nearly a decade with Benetton/Renault and one year with McLaren

Not so sure of that, because I think they would have filled the gaps at some point. During the last season of that system, biggest number was 30 and the empty ones were 13 and 18. Larrousse entered but never participated which made 19 and 20 not used during the season either.

I want to believe they would keep the tradition alive

Imagine Schumacher using Gilles Villeneuve number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm definitely inclined to put Lewis' comments into the 'Schumacher or Senna would have said it' bin - he has always been one for mind games, even if he does sometimes lack the finesse.

That said, FFS Lewis get yer dad to put a tie on you next time...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He told his dad to fuck off years ago, something else happened around that time as well, can't quiet put my finger on it... oh yeah he turned into a douchbag properly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Lewis and Daniel look freakishly alike :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are the trophies for 2nd and 3rd place exactly the same? I can't notice any difference in that photo, not even in terms of size. That WDC trophy is a thing of beauty...what a classic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The problem I see about Hamilton is not his way of life but his lack of graciousness. He seems as a spoiled child when he loses and he's disrespectful. "I didn't find Nico's retirement surprising" & "this is the first time he's won in 18 years". [Nico won the 2005 GP2 championship :slaphead: ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1137 138 139 140 141151 Next