TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1150 151 152 153 154302 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
oh yes, I forgot about the gifts he received from Ferrari, not sure he also have a FXX or he just drove those in exhibitions

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:52 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
Straight out of the pits and straight into a drive through penalty :lol:

The old Fiat 500 is a phenomenal car...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 pm 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

Yo Sup

Italian = Awesome

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:01 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What will bring the interest back? A Senna, Prost style rivalry with 2 evenly matched teams. If Ferrari can just get their shit together they already have half of the package in Alonso (people either love him or hate him). Alonso against Hamilton in different but equal machines would be epic! We all know how intense part 1 was.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 am 

Hotdogger wrote:
Ok, this is flat wrong, esp if you think the old days were less about that than today. Back then, equipment was so much more unreliable across the board, they did more 'saving' than they even do today, I bet. I'm not talking just in terms of tyres like today but the whole car was brittle back then. You had to 'save' in every way. Revs, shifts, brakes and of course tyres. It was always about straddling that line between taking care of your equipment and going flat-out within those constraints and doing it better than the rest of the guys. Now everything's just gotten so damn reliable that you require things like ice-cream tyres and all to maintain that element of management.

The old days are not the F1 I grew up watching, though.

They surely did save the machinery during the 80's(don't know before that) but I started watching in the early 90s and all I can remember is tyres that could be pushed all the way through and mostly flat out races.

Probably the ultimate example of that is Schumacher's 2004 win in Magny Cours. He did solely qualifying laps separated by 4 pitstops

nice to see you back, phil :D I thought you were fed up with us moaning about F1 when people like you, Stef, Kals and some others are enjoying it

Tbf to me :p , I don't keep bashing it while during the events, I watch it for what it is, or have become.

The 6h of Spa suffered from some bad luck because the unreliability of the P1s denied many fights. Audi simply is uncompetitive with Toyota and Porsche, and the later couldn't fight with the Japaneses because they still have technical problems during the races.

But when you see them close to each other and racing, they provide the kind of battles I enjoy more.

To wrap up my view on the WECxF1 debate, the first hour of the 6h of Silverstone were 10 times more entertaining than the Bahrain GP of this year, imho. After that, reliability and crashed also denied the continuation of those incredible battles, unfortunately

But yeah, it's a matter of taste. F1 is currently the series I least enjoy. I've also been following TUSC, IndyCar, Euro F3, WSBR, GP2/GP3 and DTM this year and, to me, they are all more entertaining than F1 , bar GP3 which was horrible in Barcelona but let's wait because they had only 1 event.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ha, yeah, I was in Spain, so a little busy.

A few Italian sources say that the gravel at Parabolica is being replaced by tarmac run-off :(

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh FFS

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:25 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Another great corner neutered.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:

A few Italian sources say that the gravel at Parabolica is being replaced by tarmac run-off :(

That'll work better than gravel when a car has a brake failure into that corner :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:50 am 
Permabanned

LucasWheldon wrote:
oh yes, I forgot about the gifts he received from Ferrari, not sure he also have a FXX or he just drove those in exhibitions

He had his own Ferrari FXX
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11306255925 ... zo-and-fxx

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FIA seriously wants to eliminate all sense of risk and things that could provide unpredictability. I already see 5-10 cars going wide there in support classes without anyone losing time.

I ask FIA: about which things in F1 I should feel excited? Answer: Nothing, but please buy our live timing app.
[/grumpyoldman]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The lack of risk at many corners now is part of the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The thread title got me thinking about things to be positive about regarding current F1. Here's one for me;

Quote:
1. Lewis Hamilton 100 points
8. Jenson Button 23 points
9. Kevin Magnussen 20 points

Still brings a smile to my face.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:53 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

JJ wrote:
I ask FIA: about which things in F1 I should feel excited? Answer: Nothing, but please buy our live timing app.
[/grumpyoldman]

I think this is kind of the point here

I was reluctant to get involved in this because I switched the last race off after a few laps, and only switched it back on with a few to go. I just didn't feel like there was any need. But that's still more than I saw of China - I just didn't bother at all, and haven't even watched the highlights. And yet this comes after Bahrain, theoretically one of the most exciting races I can remember. I was excited at the start of the season too. But I'm already back to feeling the same way I have for the last couple of years

I've been left wondering "why should I bother watching?" There's nothing. I'm not going to blame Mercedes here, and the lack of diversity of winners - the problem runs deeper than that. There's nothing captivating about F1 any more. Where's the drama? I'm done with DRS - it might add another 1 to your overtaking figures but it's completely cold and functional and you can see any moves coming a mile off, even if they actually matter. It was never about the overtaking itself - it was about the tension of whether or not the move could be completed. We've gone from one extreme where it was impossible to pass to another where it's too easy, and there's no tension there at all

What else? Strategy is pretty much dead, and even in the vaguely interesting strategic races, it's all down to tyres that have been made deliberately mediocre. The return of unreliability never appeared - the cars are just as reliable as they were last year - and there's no way anyone's going to crash any more in the vast majority of circuits. We're left with occasional pit stop cock-ups as our only legitimate excitement

The other major problem is F1 is obsessed with its past. It has seemingly lost interest in trying to create new history - it just wants to recreate the good times. That's not helping to progress the sport. And it also wants to do this an entirely superficial manner. There's no depth to F1 any more. Once you see beyond the shiny artifice, there's just a cold, dark void. Watching F1 is totally unsatisfying at the moment. And I'm not sure people within F1 understand this, which is why they're messing around with daft proposals which will just leave people feel even more disconnected

Criticise Hindhaugh all you want but he's on the right track - I can imagine endurance racing feeling a lot more satisfying and authentic than F1, because the number of Things Happening doesn't determine how good a race is. If that's the basis people in F1 are working on, trying to cram as much shit onto the screen in one go like Michael Bay or George Lucas, they'll end up creating something that only 8-year-olds with ADHD will enjoy watching. The more F1 pisses about with megaphones for engines and active suspension to create sparks, the less authentic it becomes

It's the equivalent of asking yourself "why do I watch F1?" A while back I realised that the only reason I was watching was because I always do. Not watching made me realise that I wasn't missing out

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:23 pm 

RtN wrote:
The thread title got me thinking about things to be positive about regarding current F1. Here's one for me;

Quote:

Yep, best career decision Lewis has ever made.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:

Quote:

Yeah his was my reaction when the news came out he was moving to Mclaren.

Fish88 wrote:
YES, Hamilton out of f#cking Mclaren!!!

Sure Hamilton won't be doing better at Mercedes, but have annoyed how Mclaren fucked up opportunity after opportunity the last phew years.

So yeah after last year and this year it feels even more sweet.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But Hamilton only left for the money.

Hamilton is stupid to leave McLaren, he'll never win a race at Mercedes and McLaren will win the title in 2013.

Oh how wrong people were. And some of those are the same people bitching about F1 2014... TBK-Light sponsored by Glass Half Empty Thinking

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:40 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:

Because of all those terrible series of sidewinding snap rolls that happen every time anyone races there. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. What a joke.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Parabollocks

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1150 151 152 153 154302 Next