TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1137 138 139 140 141302 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IT WAS JIMMIE JAWWWSON DID IT!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 pm 

kals wrote:
There were two holes in Ayton's helmet, one which was a small narrow cut which is where the suspension penetrated and the other was an air vent (which most for a very long time believed was the hole the suspension created). So gkmotorsport is correct.

Didn't say he was wrong. I just said that there was an additional hole in it where the suspensions went through, to dismiss that silly conspiracy theory of him being shot.

The point was not really at gkmotorsport but to confirm that there was an extra hole but nothing controversial about it to sustain conspiracy theories ;)
ellis wrote:
Odd really though. Anyone who has driven it in a game (like Assetto Corsa) would not identify it as an accident spot. It just doesn't appear dangerous at all.

It's not even a proper corner. It's a very smooth bend, even easier than Curva Grande at Monza

PS: I have never even played any PS Codemasters F1 games. The bumps on it might make it harder to drive than what looking from the outside gives the impression of, but the corner profile, itself, would suggest it to be extremely easy to ride through.

PS2: Of course Berger is gonna say it's a tricky corner, afterall, he was one of the very few who managed to crash there few years before Senna's fatal accident. How else can you not look bad if you don't make the corner appear tricky?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
yesterday there was another special feature about Senna in SporTV, depicting his final weekend at Imola, the thing was heavy, specially when they showed his concerns over what happened, Frank Williams asking his friends to know if he was really going to race (to which was replied with "he's not only going to race, but to win aswell") and then him and Sid Watkins conversation in which Senna displayed a will to improve safety, too bad there was a race before

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
PS2: Of course Berger is gonna say it's a tricky corner, afterall, he was one of the very few who managed to crash there few years before Senna's fatal accident. How else can you not look bad if you don't make the corner appear tricky?

Ok this HAS to be a joke, you can't be serious, lol.

Also, it's not easier than Curva Grande. Compare the radiuses, the smaller the radius, the more difficult the curve, it's simple geometry. Moreover, the Tamburello curve actually closed in at the end, while Curva Grande opens up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:48 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Curva Grande was tighter in 1994, though. Not that that makes much difference, or that I disagree with Coldtyre. But today Tamburello would probably be quite easy, though that shouldn't be confused with being easy in 1994

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm pretty sure Imola is cursed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Built on an Indian burial ground like Talladega?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:59 am 

coldtyre wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:

I have never heard Berger claim Tamburello to be a tricky corner. And he obviously didn't make a mistake to crash there, he had a technical failure and that's the only reason somebody would crash in such an easy bend, as Berger said on the Sky interview.

Piquet, briefly after the accident, also said that only a car failure could explain a crash in Tamburello because "There is no way a person can make a mistake in that corner", to quote him.

As I said earlier, only some heavy bumps could induce some kind of "error" or trouble there.
coldtyre wrote:
Also, it's not easier than Curva Grande. Compare the radiuses, the smaller the radius, the more difficult the curve, it's simple geometry. Moreover, the Tamburello curve actually closed in at the end, while Curva Grande opens up.

Really? Smaller radii turns means they more difficult?! I always thought it was the other way around, ie, a bigger radius corner would mean a more difficult corner to ride through :roll:

Curva Grande of now, is fairly similar to Tamburello of 1989(and 1994), for instance

As JamesB said, Curva Grande was tighter in early 90's and definitely more difficult than Tamburello.

Look how Schumacher barely steers in Tamburello (and how bumpy the black parts of the tarmac actually were)

If you have trouble realizing, how tighter than Tamburello, Curva Grande was, just by looking, pay attention how it requires more steering

But this is all digression. What I said was that Tamburello's profile makes it a very easy corner and that only heavy bumps could have unsettled Senna's car, but that still is not very feasible and a car failure is the more likely cause IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:33 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Curva Grande is also an acceleration zone rather than a corner reached at an already high speed. Were the chicane not before Curva Grande, it's profile as a corner would be considerably different.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:41 am 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

As flogged as these dead horses have become, I have to say that this is the most enjoyable version of these discussions I've ever come across. Mostly mature and factual posts make all the difference :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

At around 32 minutes, Damon Hill and David Brabham discusses the corners in question. But watch the whole thing to put it all in context.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUZuMBPq9o[/youtubeidiot]

coldtyre wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:

AC's comment is among the worst things that have ever been said on this forum. And then his next post, feat. a " :roll: ". Stay classy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:14 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

That whole section of track all the way to Tosa saw many violent accidents, not just in Formula 1. There was a big crash there in Italian Touring Cars in 1993.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes Tamara Vidali. Plus Nannini had a crash there during a practice session in 1990 after being pushed. Then there's Gilles Villeneuve's crash in 1980.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A few others as well.

It always amazed me how fragile the cars were in 1990. Huge damage for what was a moderate looking impact. You had Martini's tub snap in half in practice, Donnelly's car coming to pieces at Jerez, and Nannini's Benetton being ripped to shreds at Montreal. Death traps really.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks I'd forgotten about Patrese's crash there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm 

One of the places where the slightest fault, human or mechanical, would result in a massive accident. As Hill and Brabham say, it was a very exciting corner when the car was right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:13 pm 

De Cesaris fan wrote:

As an aside, I love how terrible the TV directing is here - cutting away while the Lotus was just spinning to see Capelli parked on the side of the road. One of those things that I guess would be so frustrating at the time but looks comical now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, I was watching a classic race on Sky last night (USA 1987). Fabi goes flying down the inside in a battle for 4th or 5th place, and then the camera cuts to Mansell who's running by himself. The camera eventually cuts back to a Benetton nose cone in the middle of the track.

We can argue about our favourite eras but there's no doubt that the coverage is so much better now (although I still get frustrated by seeing 500 different replays of the start at a time when things are happening :p ).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, would be much better if they'd put the start replays in while the race had quietened down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I guess they got used to see Vettel jumping in front of everyone

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1137 138 139 140 141302 Next