TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1497 posts ]  Go to page Previous 166 67 68 69 7075 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm 
God Complex Ahoy!
God Complex Ahoy!

StanV wrote:
Man, imagine there was a TBK after Suzuka 1990.

Prost left a gap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jonny wrote:
StanV wrote:
Man, imagine there was a TBK after Suzuka 1990.

Prost left a gap.

1 - 10 place grid drop for Prost in Australia for turning into competitor
2 - 10 place grid for Berger in Australia for spinning under yellow flags on lap 2
3 - Benetton DSQ for illegal use of team orders on Roberto Moreno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:44 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

kals wrote:
It is not a killer instict. It is a ruthless streak that typically only the very best have. See Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Piquet, etc...

Ruthless is a much better way of saying it than I managed.

Philthy82 wrote:
Fucking hell I'm tired of hearing this moronic point of view. IT'S NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU LIKE TEAM ORDERS. The point is if one driver is told to slow by the team and the other ignores those orders, it's neither respectful to your team nor particularly hard to beat your teammate who's been told to slow up. That's about as ballsy, gritty and "killer instinct" as bringing a gun to a knife fight.

I'm going to argue that it was a ballsy move. He took a chance on his team going "oh well, don't do it again" or them actually punishing him. He also knows that fighting Webber wheel-to-wheel can be a bit risky (á la Turkey 2010). Granted, it wasn't the riskiest thing he could have done, but going wheel-to-wheel with your team mate despite team orders is definitely a little bit ballsy.

I'm not arguing that what Vettel did was particularly fair either as it wasn't. But Webber has tried the same on Vettel before, just with less success. Does the fact that Webber wasn't successful in his attempt at Silverstone '11 make it more respectful? The intent was the same, yet I don't recall half the amount of vitriol that this has caused. Is it just because people dislike Vettel because he's been very successful and Webber is "the underdog"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I fail to recall wether Webber, at Silverstone, took advantage of an eventual slower pace of Vettel - as it happened on Sepang - or not. Btw, couldn't the team warn Webber this time that Vettel wasn't following the orders and getting closer? That's quite a significant thing too.

Anyway, I don't blame Vettel for doing that. He knows what he's able to do, and also, he knows the reward for breaking the rules for him are a good ground for breaking them. This race is going to be pretty emblematic one decade later if we consider what either Vettel and Rosberg will achieve from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

nea wrote:
I'm not arguing that what Vettel did was particularly fair either as it wasn't. But Webber has tried the same on Vettel before, just with less success. Does the fact that Webber wasn't successful in his attempt at Silverstone '11 make it more respectful? The intent was the same, yet I don't recall half the amount of vitriol that this has caused. Is it just because people dislike Vettel because he's been very successful and Webber is "the underdog"?

I'll let you guess who is supposed to depict who in this scene.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

How would people have felt if we were talking about Massa doing this to Alonso?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Philthy82 wrote:
That's about as ballsy, gritty and "killer instinct" as bringing a gun to a knife fight.

EsbenT wrote:

I don't think you did that on purpose but I laughed at this coincidence :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

I'm half-English. Nothing about my sense of humour is a coincidence :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
IT'S NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU LIKE TEAM ORDERS. The point is if one driver is told to slow by the team and the other ignores those orders, it's neither respectful to your team nor particularly hard to beat your teammate who's been told to slow up. That's about as ballsy, gritty and "killer instinct" as bringing a gun to a knife fight.

Agreed. If Vettel had told his team, 'No, I won't follow this order' and Webber was aware of that, I could somewhat respect Vettel for this so called killer instinct that his fanboys are chanting on about. But to pounce on Webber when he was under the impression that they were holding position basically makes it pure back stabbing and hardly something to be commended for.

Last edited by SBan83 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

nea wrote:
How would people have felt if we were talking about Massa doing this to Alonso?

Massa doing this to Alonso would bring on hilarity of epic proportions I imagine purely because no one would ever see it comig. Place would explode for sure and I imagine the drama within the team would surpass even that at Red Bull right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

StanV wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
That's about as ballsy, gritty and "killer instinct" as bringing a gun to a knife fight.

EsbenT wrote:

I don't think you did that on purpose but I laughed at this coincidence :lol:

How the fuck did I miss that?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hotdogger wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
IT'S NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU LIKE TEAM ORDERS. The point is if one driver is told to slow by the team and the other ignores those orders, it's neither respectful to your team nor particularly hard to beat your teammate who's been told to slow up. That's about as ballsy, gritty and "killer instinct" as bringing a gun to a knife fight.

Agreed. If Vettel had told his team, 'No, I won't follow this order' and Webber was aware of that, I could somewhat respect Vettel for this so called killer instinct that his fanboys are chanting on about. But to pounce on Webber when he was under the impression that they were holding position basically makes it pure back stabbing and hardly something to be commended for.

Wasn't it quite similiar to the McLaren's at Turkey 2010? Both drivers had been asked to hold station but Jenson was harassing Lewis to the point where Lewis even said on the radio, what's going on here guys? Is Jenson going to try to pass me? And then of course as we all remember, without warning, Jenson decided to attack Lewis and did infact passing him just like Seb did. Although in that case of course Lewis fought and took the position & win back...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Karan wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

Wasn't it quite similiar to the McLaren's at Turkey 2010? Both drivers had been asked to hold station but Jenson was harassing Lewis to the point where Lewis even said on the radio, what's going on here guys? Is Jenson going to try to pass me? And then of course as we all remember, without warning, Jenson decided to attack Lewis and did infact passing him just like Seb did. Although in that case of course Lewis fought and took the position & win back...

I have the same view on that too. If Button kept his team and Lewis under the impression that he was holding position and then suddenly decided to pounce, it's a chicken shit move just like Vettel's was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Karan wrote:
Massa doing this to Alonso would bring on hilarity of epic proportions I imagine purely because no one would ever see it comig. Place would explode for sure and I imagine the drama within the team would surpass even that at Red Bull right now.

I think the in-team drama would only be so massive because Ferrari have been a definite number 1 and number 2 driver team for longer than Red Bull have been a team at all (since 1996 when Schuey joined).

Would people regard it as a dick move a vilify Massa for doing so? Or would people congratulate him on doing it because people dislike Alonso for being ruthless (let's not forget, he has form for equally ruthless behaviour)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:

Not quite. Lewis had been told by the team to conserve fuel, back off, etc... and that Jenson had been given the same instruction and would not attack. Except no such instruction had been issued to Jenson. A mistake by Lewis' engineer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

So...does everybody think that Webber turned his engine down, and was completely unable to fight Seb, then continued with his engine down? If he didn't put his all into fighting back then he's an idiot who doesn't deserve the win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
ellis wrote:
So...does everybody think that Webber turned his engine down, and was completely unable to fight Seb, then continued with his engine down? If he didn't put his all into fighting back then he's an idiot who doesn't deserve the win.

perhaps he's more into securing his job than going for victory

but maybe he is starting to have second thoughts about it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Horner seemed surprisingly meek with Seb in his radio message. I expected something a lot more stern than just "silly". Maybe something along the lines of Brawn's firmness. But I imagine that's cause it's Seb...

Although I'm guessing Mark must've gotten quite a firm radio call instructing him to back off and not fight Seb, which is why maybe he suddenly stopped attacking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:15 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Karan wrote:
Horner seemed surprisingly meek with Seb in his radio message. I expected something a lot more stern than just "silly". Maybe something along the lines of Brawn's firmness. But I imagine that's cause it's Seb...

Was that not Rocky on the radio?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Karan wrote:

Was that not Rocky on the radio?

The Sky commentators said it was Horner.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1497 posts ]  Go to page Previous 166 67 68 69 7075 Next