TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

The WTCC, Formula 3, Motorcycle will be at Macau this weekend -> Schedule

And I just saw on the tv news that one rider has passed away during the Qualifying Session in Motorcyle. :( Only the aftermath was shown, was horrible to see it.

The Macau Grand Prix Committee regrets to announce that Luis Filipe de Sousa Carreira, competitor no. 33, from Portugal, in the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix – 46th edition, has succumbed to injuries sustained in a racing accident during the qualifying session this afternoon.

No other rider was involved in the incident, which occurred at Fisherman’s Bend at 15.58. The qualifying session was immediately red flagged.

The medical services, a fast intervention vehicle, fully equipped, and an ambulance with two doctors in attendance, which were located at the side of the accident immediately went to the rider’s aid, and as a result of the doctors’ diagnosis, Mr. Carreira was immediately evacuated by ambulance to the Hospital, where he was admitted at 16.08.

Continuous CPR was performed, however he succumbed to his injuries at 16.28.

The Macau Grand Prix Committee has contacted the family and the members of the team, and the Committee expresses its sincere condolences.

The qualifying session was abandoned at 16.30.

http://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/gp/59 ... 84&lang=en

Here's the video of the aftermath *WARNING FATAL*
[spoiler][youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYxTzx-W5no[/youtubeidiot][/spoiler]

Plus couple of other crashes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:59 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Awful start for this traditional race. My condolences to the family. :(

It has been said for years tha this isn't a safe race for motorcycles. But then again so is the Isle of Mann and riders still love the challenge in both events.

Let's hope the weekend will get brighter from this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I can only assume it was a mechanical failure, because he was taking part in his 7th Macau race and it was on an easy part of the track. Shame it happened, not just because it was in Macau, but because he is Portuguese.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Awful start for this traditional race. My condolences to the family. :(

It has been said for years tha this isn't a safe race for motorcycles. But then again so is the Isle of Mann and riders still love the challenge in both events.

Let's hope the weekend will get brighter from this.

Exactly, they know how high the risks are, but they take those risks and love this challenge, this is beautiful and sad at the same time, everytime a fatal crash happens, the feeling I have is "its just too unfair". The worst thing about Macau is that there's isn't too much to be done to improve safety for the bikes, its just too dangerous for them, every year its the same, either someone gets badly hurt or dies there. It's scary!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:20 am 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

Is there a stream for the action?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Neil Hudson on Twitter:
''Sad to announce Phillip Yau was killed in a crash earlier in the #CTMMacauCup qualifying, driving for Look Fong Racing #MacauGP #WTCC''

R.I.P, sad weekend so far..

Video of the crash at 0:28 http://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/video ... 04_56k.mp4 Fatal!

Last edited by racefan on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am 

R.I.P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 am 

Two fatalities already? Jesus Christ. Horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

All the portuguese riders have withdrawn from the race, and it's likely that the rest will wear black armbands.

It looked like a rather light impact, compared to what we've seen in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 pm 

That accident reminds me of Ashley Coopers fatal crash at Adelaide in 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Youtube version: *FATAL* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZz76aMPGA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Extremely sad news :( Those accidents suck.
But hopefully they won't affect the race tradition there. Today's trend is that if something happens, long traditions can be scrapped hastily. If some year in the future we have 2 fatalities in Monaco, it doesn't mean the track is anywhere more dangerous than before when accidents didn't happen.
Let's hope better weekend from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd never compete in Macau on a bike. Then I'm not a pro racer or rider.

Cars bit different but the fast right hander is dangerous in anything that travels faster then a bicycle.

I also don't think fatalities should be taken for granted as in 'we always raced here, lets not stop because of a death'. If it's a track related accident or as if could have been avoided with better run-offs then I think it's enough basis not to race there again until it has been improved.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:12 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

amq55 wrote:
It looked like a rather light impact, compared to what we've seen in the past.

Light impact my ass, that was brutal.

He drove a "flimsy" S2000 car, right? Those aren't really used to such high speeds, since they mostly race on go-kart like circuits, and with huge run-offs. Maybe the FIA should take a close look on the safety of these cars. Very sad that this had to happen. Rest in peace.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The hit as such was very similar to the one of Ashely Cooper in the V8 Development Series at Adelaide a couple of years ago. Just very very hard and basically nothing you can do. Maybe Macau should consider to place some SAFER barriers there as we have seen so many big crashes there in the past as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It was a fairly heavy hit, but the fact that he sort of slid in perfectly flat with the wall was the bad part. All the force directly in one impact.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Was that driver's side impact? Remember ashley cooper's was passenger side, sure there must be a way of securing the drivers head to protect against the lateral impact forces.

Wouldn't call s2000 cars flimsy, they've withstood some big impacts. Is this the first fatality in s2000 touring cars?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm 

Echti wrote:
The hit as such was very similar to the one of Ashely Cooper in the V8 Development Series at Adelaide a couple of years ago. Just very very hard and basically nothing you can do. Maybe Macau should consider to place some SAFER barriers there as we have seen so many big crashes there in the past as well.

Normally I don't mind safety improvements but I guess I take a harsher stance on this one. Sure SAFER could be a good idea. I think they have some white blocks now in front of the armco, but it looks like they might be concrete instead of energy absorbing barriers. But first they introduce SAFER, then they will increase runoff on the inside, after that they will put up a chicane before it and last but not least they will ditch that part of the track altogether.

With F1 racing on giant car parks these days you really start longing for those ballsy tracks of back in the day and Macau is certainly one of those. Mandrin bend has been the same turn for ages, the drivers know what to expect and certainly know what will happen if they mess up. The touring car driver made a mistake and paid a price. The question is whether that price was too high. All the drivers and riders know what they sign up for. If I was a professional racing driver I would not race at Macau. But they chose to enter and I admire them for it. You can also ask if it's reasonable to race on a track where you can't afford mistakes. But the same goes for Isle Of Man or the North West 200. Its that racers mentatality. I guess if you could ask a lot of drivers from back in the day, who sadly crashed and died, if they could do it all over again the same way. I think a lot of them would say yes, without even thinking about it.

In my opinion they should just keep the track as it is and continue historic events like the Macau F3 Grand Prix and the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix. It's the ultimate test for your skills and reactions, it's fun, it's fast and it's dangerous. If you win Macau you become a legend in the history books. Can people say the same of someone who wins at India or for that matter Austin. I hate what happened to those two and I hope the weekend will continue without serious accidents, but Macau needs to stay as it is.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I do agree with you Echti. Putting some SAFER barriers up there would definitely help with some of the accidents we see at Mandrin. I just think that in this age of safety people will take it too far and then I have to turn on my VCR again and watch some DTM from Avus or Singen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gd49 wrote:
Was that driver's side impact?

If it was a left hooker then yes.
I would say more but I think you guys know my views on this by now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Really sad news. Wasn't there a huge wreck at that kink last year? I don't see why they couldn't install safer barriers at some of the faster sections.