TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1158 159 160 161 162261 Next

were you born before or after SPA 1991? (MSC F1 Debut)
Before 86%  86%  [ 190 ]
After 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Total votes: 220
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
I keep reading that he shouldn't be rallying. So...why? His F1 career is done. He enjoys driving. Why shouldn't it be rally?

If his F1 career wasn't definately over, it'd be fair to argue he should focussing on that rather than risking getting injured again. But if its been decided he's not going back to single seaters fair enough, though as Phil mentions, for a long term career I don't think rallying is the best for him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that some people believe that Kubica may return to F1...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
cookie wrote:
Indycar? If he can't get a seat in F1 that seems like a good alternative, if he can cope with it physically.

I think the main issue is the dexterity of hid hands and of his elbow. It's the narrowness of the F1 cockpit that presents the problem, so it'd be the same with IndyCar.

I don't know this about the DW12, but the previous car used by Indycar didn't even have hydraulic direction, what makes driving on road courses and short ovals even harder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that some people believe that Kubica may return to F1...

It's not that impossible to believe. He is still only 27, but if it doesn't happen in 2014, it won't happen at all.

I live in the slim home that it'll happen, but I know deep down it won't. It's a real shame.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Considering the amount of damage that was done to his arm, he's not coming back to F1 in race driving capacity. If you believe there is a chance that arm will heal to withstand the stresses and strains of racing in F1, well I'm sorry but you're dreaming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

It doesn't even matter what state his hand is in. When you've been out of the F1 loop like he has, that's it, you're old news. Raikkonen gets a free pass back in because he was a world champion. Schumacher gets a free pass back in for being Michael Schumacher. Kubica? He had potential, and was showing signs of being a proper star, but potential is only potential, and that potential was now a long time ago (in F1 terms), and pre-injury. So even if his hand got back to 100%, it's too late - he's out of the F1 memory and younger drivers are coming in and filling those seats fast. His hand isn't going to be back to 100%, but that's not even the biggest problem he has.

As for rallying, I really don't see why he shouldn't be doing it. If that's what he wants to do, then why shouldn't he be doing it? He might be better in sportscars, but that's an acquired taste, and driving 3 hour stints at Le Mans and Sebring possibly isn't the best for his hand either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

His hand wouldn't stop him from racing in F1 or any single-seater. The problem is the elbow. He may have one more operation to try and increase the mobility, but if that doesn't work then it won't be possible.

Sportscars is not much good because it would require his co-drivers to adapt to a car for his needs, which very few drivers would accept.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There might've been, I'm not sure.

But I don't think Kubica would be interested in racing with a couple of guys in GT2 or something because no-one else would be willing to compromise.

Of course, if there are drivers who are willing to compromise it would be a great opportunity.

He might even want to consider NASCAR.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It would seem that if Felipe can sustain his current form for a few races, he's staying for another year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

I don't want it to happen, but I can see it happening...

here's hoping he will crash in each and every race, if necessary taking Fernando with him :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seems like the best move at this point. Perez needs a few more years, Bianchi has no experience, and Hamilton won't be going to Ferrari. Massa has improved a lot this season and if his consistency improves, then he it's fair to say he's fulfilling his role as number 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I still can't believe he still has his seat after last year, so I'm not going to be surprised again if Ferrari keeps him for 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 am 

highgroove wrote:
Seems like the best move at this point. Perez needs a few more years, Bianchi has no experience, and Hamilton won't be going to Ferrari. Massa has improved a lot this season and if his consistency improves, then he it's fair to say he's fulfilling his role as number 2.

this 'Perez is too unexperienced' crap must stop at once. That's one of those di Montezemolo quotes meaning he's afraid Perez might actually be able to challenge Alonso. Perez is ready right now as he has shown on numerous occaissions.

Massa has improved 'a lot'? How? Being consistently slower than his teammate, even in his best race to date this season. He started 3rd while Alonso came from 10th. And still Massa finished 10 seconds behind the Spaniard.

I don't buy this I'm sorry. A good number two should finish closely behind his teammate but should also show signs of challenging and on occaissions beating the number 1 driver. Barrichello was to me a good number 2, or Eddie Irvine. But Massa. How?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:15 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

He's improved by going from being nowhere during the flyaway races to where the car probably should be now. Alonso is outdriving the car, there is no debate on this. If Ferrari want a number two that can challenge him, well, I'm sure they have Lewis' phone number and a sponsor willing to pay his salary.

And Irvine was a crap number two. Nowhere in '96, nowhere in '97, 4th in '98 by dint of being in a car far superior to those behind it. His only good year was '99.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Massa's been acceptable since Monaco, it was only during the early part of the season when he was utterly shit (when the car was worse, so there's a link there).

I personally believe Perez would be an improvement, but if they're going to keep Massa for another season, that to me suggests they've already signed Vettel for 2014... Unless Lord Luca really does rule all and he somehow believes that Massa is better for the future than Perez.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tobias wrote:
highgroove wrote:

this 'Perez is too unexperienced' crap must stop at once. That's one of those di Montezemolo quotes meaning he's afraid Perez might actually be able to challenge Alonso. Perez is ready right now as he has shown on numerous occaissions.

Massa has improved 'a lot'? How? Being consistently slower than his teammate, even in his best race to date this season. He started 3rd while Alonso came from 10th. And still Massa finished 10 seconds behind the Spaniard.

I don't buy this I'm sorry. A good number two should finish closely behind his teammate but should also show signs of challenging and on occaissions beating the number 1 driver. Barrichello was to me a good number 2, or Eddie Irvine. But Massa. How?

First of all, you've mis-understood me. He's had 2 seasons in F1. TWO! Anyone that jumps straight into a Ferrari seat, never does too well, he's still learning.
The first time he found himself in posistion to win a race, under pressure, he buckled and made a mistake. Ferrari don't look for, and hire medicore drivers (Massa was decent when they hired him). Secondly, there is more to a Ferrari drive, than just the seat, ask any Ferrari driver, or any F1 driver for that matter. I doubt Perez outshining Alonso is a real concern, or a possibility. He's not experienced enough in the sense that, most Ferrari drivers are proven multiple race winners, and work hard to get into the seat, not after a few podiums, in a season that's leveled the playing field for the most part, for the first time in a while.

Massa has improved quite a lot, his form last year, and the start of this year was truely awful, struggled to get into the point's (plenty of 8th-10th finishes) and was often outshone by the mid-pack. (Williams, Mercedes, Force India, Sauber) Since the summer he's found some form, and is now back to being a regualr point's scorer. You have to consider that this season, has been the most competitive in decades, the F2012 is not a great car, and that Massa almost died. I think he's doing enough now, and if he continues, to keep the #6 seat warn for 2014.

He's had a bad start to the season, and been slated for it, which is more than fair, when you are a Ferrari driver, you expect better. He played the number two role well, supporting Kimi and Alonso when needed.

Last edited by highgroove on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:51 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I also think that Perez could do with the media training. I mean, at Silverstone it was only me waiting to speak to him in the very relaxed Sauber area. It won't be like that at Ferrari. But I think he's capable...

I also see that our old friend Joe is saying that Mercedes should keep Michael as he is a better development driver than Lewis. Is it just me that doesn't really get this? I mean, if Schumacher was really such a good developer, then why is the W03 just as shit as the W02 and W01?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:01 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Because the technical staff at Mercedes is mediocre.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm 

Mercedes is BAR (Honda, Brawn). They have proved to be mediocre throughout all years they contested and managed to build a great car only due to an unclairty in regulations for 2009. And even then they almost managed to screw it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Because the technical staff at Mercedes / Honda / BAR is mediocre.

:thumbsup:

Mercedes are pretty much in the same position performance wise as they were as Honda and BAR before that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1158 159 160 161 162261 Next