TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There was a big roll in the Formula Ford race on Saturday so expect the cameras to have missed that. :p The weather played a big part so a couple of the F3 races were actually quite good. Worth checking out whenever Motors shows it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:53 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

British F3 live on MotorsTV, the saturday race from Spa will get live coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Great news. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

This happened at Paul Ricard yesterday.

One of the weirdest starts I've seen, I dunno what's going on, if the start was called off or something because it looks like a lot of the field back off almost immediately after the green causing a shunt to happen:

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhGV0dnmAXU[/youtubeidiot]

Guess we'll have to wait for the external views...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Quote:
The action began on the grid, with an aborted start throwing proceedings into chaos. Several drivers left the grid slowly as part of the aborted start procedure, while others seemed to make full race starts and crashed into the cars in front. Several cars were instantly out of the race, while others received contact, such as Carlin’s Nasr when Menasheh Idafar ran over the top of his rear right tyre.

http://www.carlin.co.uk/news/Svendsen-C ... acetwo.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

tick-tock wrote:
Quote:
The action began on the grid, with an aborted start throwing proceedings into chaos. Several drivers left the grid slowly as part of the aborted start procedure, while others seemed to make full race starts and crashed into the cars in front. Several cars were instantly out of the race, while others received contact, such as Carlin’s Nasr when Menasheh Idafar ran over the top of his rear right tyre.

http://www.carlin.co.uk/news/Svendsen-C ... acetwo.htm

Heh, thanks for the info, it's their youtube feed too so you can't deny they're eager to share as much info as possible! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A better description, shows why it was aborted.

Autosport.com wrote:
The race was run over just six laps after a botched initial start that caused a multi-car pile up on the grid and led to the first red flag of the season.

Sino Vision's Hywel Lloyd stalled while the red lights were on and the start gantry proceeded to flash from red to yellow to green in quick succession.

In the confusion, it appeared several drivers were unsure whether the race had started, or the start had been aborted, with some accelerating towards the first chicane and others backing off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Some more info from British F3 official site:

Quote:
The first start was an abortive affair with the lights flashing amber after the reds were extinguished; some drivers took this is a cue to start, others were more hesitant. Inevitably there was contact in the pack, with the two Double R cars of Pipo Derani and Scott Pye in collision and Bart Hylkema’s T-Sport machine striking the rear of a slower starter. The race was abandoned and a six-lap restart ordered; none of the three damaged Dallaras was able to go.

And of course it wasn't the first dangerously botched start at Paul Ricard this year...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like the rounds at Spa and Monza but I really wish they'd ditch Nurburgring and Paul Ricard. It would be so much better to see them at Thruxton, Croft or Knockhill. Maybe it's me wanting to be able to go to more races. :p

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah, it is supposed to be British F3 not Euro F3. Spa however has always been a part of the calender for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And F3 at Monza is 3 wide fun and madness, and pretty much 100% chance of cars flying at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

All the start shit at races this year, coupled with the tarmac runoff crap and uninspiring races (maybe the uber-long Mistral straight and high speed corner after it was the only remarkable thing about this track in any incarnation?) is turning Paul Ricard into one of my least like tracks in all of motorsports.

As curious as I was to see racing there when it was a testing only venue, now I kinda wish they hadn't bothered... :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I like the rounds at Spa and Monza but I really wish they'd ditch Nurburgring and Paul Ricard. It would be so much better to see them at Thruxton, Croft or Knockhill. Maybe it's me wanting to be able to go to more races. :p

Couldn't agree more. Learning Ricard has no relevance for drivers aspiring for GP2/F1, other than for testing, so I don't understand the point of going there. I also detest anywhere with acres of tarmac runoff. Nurburgring at least has the appeal of being a current GP circuit, but it's pretty dull. Definitely keep Spa and Monza - Spa is pretty much traditional now and Monza an equally fantastic overseas addition.

I've been to quite a few rounds at Thruxton up to last year and it's a tragedy that our top national series doesn't go there again this season. Same goes for Castle Combe, but I know there were other issues there. Those are my closest circuits... and I don't even have any good enough excuse to visit them anymore. Everywhere else is at least about twice the distance away. The only round I find worth visiting each year is Oulton Park; I'd only ever travel to Silverstone, Donington, Rockingham as a last resort as the spectator experience and photography opportunities are both lacking... and for me Snetterton is just too far. I'd go to Brands Hatch but I'd assume the main infield paddock is off-limits, and I like to get things signed too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I went to Brands this year and the infield paddock was indeed out of bounds, but that was only for the GT field. The F3 guys were in the outer paddock and that was easilly accessible. I almost walked into Jack Harvey, and Nasr was in the garage with another driver I didn't recognise. So if it's F3 autographs you're after then Brands isn't a bad shout. Snetterton was better in that respect because they have the pit lane walk about and all the cars on show, but Brands is the better circuit. It feels like another world out on the GP loop. Few people had bothered to walk round that far and there are no catchfences in the way of photos.

Thruxton is probably 2 and a half - 3 hours from me but F3/GT would definitely be a good excuse to make my first trip. What's it like for spectating? I assume the back section is very much out of bounds?

Rockingham isn't actually too bad. You can't take many decent photographs from the stand, but you can see pretty much the entire track. You can spectate from the roof of the pit garages and get photos from up there, and also another spot on the infield where there aren't any high fences in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:

Thruxton is probably 2 and a half - 3 hours from me but F3/GT would definitely be a good excuse to make my first trip. What's it like for spectating? I assume the back section is very much out of bounds?

Back section is completely out of bounds, though about half of it can be seen from the bank on the outside of the complex (if you take binoculars!). Spectating at Thruxton is pretty good tho, as most of the racing action happens at the complex and the chicane, both of which are easily accessible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I went to Brands this year and the infield paddock was indeed out of bounds, but that was only for the GT field. The F3 guys were in the outer paddock and that was easilly accessible. I almost walked into Jack Harvey, and Nasr was in the garage with another driver I didn't recognise. So if it's F3 autographs you're after then Brands isn't a bad shout. Snetterton was better in that respect because they have the pit lane walk about and all the cars on show, but Brands is the better circuit. It feels like another world out on the GP loop. Few people had bothered to walk round that far and there are no catchfences in the way of photos.

I love Brands and have been there more than any other circuit. I know what you mean about the GP loop... it's such an atmospheric place to spectate, without the PA/commentary or any facilities... it feels like you're going back in time, as it's barely changed over the years. I usually spend a lot of time on the outside of Hawthorn Bend. I haven't been to Brands since that sad weekend in 2009, when I got my programme signed by Henry and John Surtees, so I'll have mixed feelings when I next walk the GP loop.

In fact the first time I visited Brands now I think of it was for the British F3 finale in 2004, though I think they were in the infield paddock then. Even if that's changed, there's also usually some GT drivers worth meeting so the off-limits infield paddock is a bit off-putting to me. That's why I've gone to Oulton each year since 2007, as it's got decent viewing and a completely open paddock (plus a free pitwalk, though that tends to be too hectic to rely on for signings).

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Rockingham isn't actually too bad. You can't take many decent photographs from the stand, but you can see pretty much the entire track. You can spectate from the roof of the pit garages and get photos from up there, and also another spot on the infield where there aren't any high fences in the way.

I didn't realise there was infield viewing there, assumed it was just the stands. I only ever went there for the 2002 CART race, which even though it was no classic was an awesome experience, something I doubt we'll ever get to see in the UK again :( Never had any motivation to go there since, with so many other 'proper' circuits being about the same distance away or closer for me.

De Cesaris fan wrote:

As gd49 says, the back section is out of bounds, but spectating's quite good at the Club chicane (can get packed!), the start/finish straight and the complex... the spectator banking ends between Segrave and Noble. They've actually extended the banking further on from there over recent years, but it was still being grassed in and out of bounds when I was there last August.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cunha set for points deduction.

http://www.motorstv.com/car/single-seat ... -dediction

And he'd be on minus points, ouch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Definitely interested in making the trip to Oulton Park next year. Thruxton I'll have to wait and see what series are of interest. I'll probably head to Rockingham on September 4th, although that does clash with an afternoon in front of the TV watching BTCC at Knockhill... Damn. :p

As for Cunha, I'm surprised I'd never heard of that rule before. I thought it would have happened more often with several drivers swapping between different championships in the season. Are the Euro F3 cars pretty much the same?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe the rules concerning cars and engines are exactly the same so they can move cars between the championships.

But knowing me I'm probably wrong :p

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next