TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3606 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1127 128 129 130 131181 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not a huge follower of 2 wheel racing, but the first I saw Simoncelli was actually just the other week in the pressroom after his podium at Phillip Island - between the hair and the accent I thought he was a pretty cool dude.

Very shocking accent to see, and especially as someone who doesn't follow the sport regularly, it certainly reminds you how incredibly dangerous bike racing at these speeds is, and how incredibly brave these guys are to go back out every time and do it.

RIP Marco.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As expected, Toby Moody has written a wonderful piece for Autosport regarding yesterday.

I believe it's free - if not I will copy and paste. Last line sums it up beautifully:

I cannot believe I've had to do this, especially for Marco Simoncelli.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:25 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

MaTT wrote:
As expected, Toby Moody has written a wonderful piece for Autosport regarding yesterday.

I believe it's free - if not I will copy and paste. Last line sums it up beautifully:

I cannot believe I've had to do this, especially for Marco Simoncelli.

thank you i really appreciated that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

the rescue video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbQCjh2 ... r_embedded

it's sad cause you can also see his father there

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm 

cambridge wrote:
the rescue video

Incredible that someone want race in this place where none know what's mean "rescue".

The father must help rescue people....

Not possible !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cambridge wrote:
the rescue video

That is sickening beyond words. Can you just imagine his father's state of mind? After already seeing what happened in the accident, to then see those idiots drop him like that? They need to stop hiring volunteer marshalls if that's what they do and maintain a professional team of traveling medical experts like CART used to do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 pm 

This is so sad... There was a huge potential in Simoncelli, I was sure he's going to be MotoGP-champion in the following years. So wrong and tragic way to leave... :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm 

Didn't they drop Tomizawa from the stretcher last year... Why does Dorna not do anything serious about this ? Aren't the track marshals urged not to touch an injured rider before the doctor arives ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Loved Toby Moody's piece. Great journalism.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Goddammit! I really hoped I was wrong yesterday when I posted that picture were it looked like they let Marco fall.
Fuck, unbelievable. And his father being there to watch it.

This REALLY should NOT have happened! :x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:55 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

this is madness. i hope motogp will see this and act. drivers cant race if marshalls are so inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:02 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Seeing his father helping...absolutely heartbreaking..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

cambridge wrote:
the rescue video

Jesus Christ, completely unacceptable. Surely it is time for MotoGP to install a dedicated, permanent, on-track medical support team like all other major racing series. I don't really blame the marshalls because that can happen when you are told to rush a rider away to the ambulance as soon as possible, but for the set up to remain the same after both Kato and Tomizawa is scandalous.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm 

Toby Moody's article sums it up perfectly. Really excellent.

For me Sic was the only reason that I restarted watching MotoGP this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm 

Toby Moody's article sums it up perfectly. Really excellent.

For me Sic was the only reason that I restarted watching MotoGP this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:18 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

From early 2003 I been watching most 125cc, 250 and 500 races up and till 2009 somewhere when they lost their broadcasting rights (British carried on), but throughout these years I've seen lots of races with Marco. What comes to mind is him preforming really well in the wet conditions. He was a bit of a daredevil with retirements and wins that could have been, but overall had all the things that makes a champion (2008).

I'll always remember his forceful move on Biaggi in Imola, balls.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndw06lQmQc4[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:39 pm 

I just find it so shocking that such a young person, vibrant and full of life has been taken from this life in such a violent and horrible manner.
In 250cc he was a crazy cannon coming out of nowhere taking out competitors as though they were bowling pins and occasionally actually making it through his wild ride passes. And he had the most insane hair ever. He was someone who would make me shake my head and facepalm, but also laugh my heart out for because despite everything, his balls to the walls racing had its appeal and he had lots and lots of talent and charisma.

He was honing his talent and in MotoGP he was finally funnelling his talent into the right place and going places and now he is gone. I can't imagine how hard this is for his family, friends, team to have to deal with such a tragic loss, nevertheless having to deal with it not just in public, but on camera and my heart goes out to them. Rest in peace Super Sic, you will be missed. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

on the subject of Marshalls, you only have to recall Tetsuya Ota's firey Ferrari crash at Mt Fuji and the way the marshalls pulled him out of the car and dropped him on the ground.. It seems that Marshalling in the "east" is far far below the standards of anything in the "west" . we have Marshalls here and a lot of my friends aremarshalls and the amount of training is they have to go through is incredible before they are let loose.. and then its usually under the eyes of an experienced guy.
Over there it seems they give them an Orange jacket and a brush and off you go!

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm 

cambridge wrote:
the rescue video

This is absolutely unacceptable!!! In this present time with such high proffessionalism in multiple sports organisations! When a goalkeeper in soccer goes out on the pitch, or NFL player, or in Indycar or NASCAR it takes ages to get hurt competitors stable and to the hospital just out of caution and care for the medical complications. As long as this keeps happening in any FIM/DORNA related competion I wont consider them as a professional organisation. Safety should be priority No. 1 and that also includes taking care of protocols and schooling of your marshalls! You can't just blame this on the local track organisation. You are organising this championship and the teams/competitors have contracts with you.

I have medical degrees in nursing/management so that's why I'm so incredibly mad about this!!

And seeing his father in this video is just heartbraking. Also the reaction of the crowd when they drop poor Marco is awefull.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

some funny quotes from Marco, just to make clear what a character he was.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Motomondiale/Mot ... 4178.shtml

some are simply untranslatable, i'll try my best with the rest:

"a few days ago i went to have some training on a cross track. At the entrance the guard realizes who i am, smile at me and starts asking question: "are you Simoncelli? the famous driver? the one who drives in motogp?" and i reply, proud of myself : "of course i am" and he sais: "the entrance fee is 30 euro"

"and for this year too i've renewed my contract with my girlfriend Kate!"

"there is this legend that all the drivers keep hooking up with the umbrella girls. Sadly this has never happend to me. That's because they come in the early morning while me, damn it, im under a great pressure waiting for the race, so i've no time to think about pussy. Then, when the race is over, and you have done a good race and you are in a great mood and want to have some fun......they are already at home, and you stand there alone like an idiot"

"i feel like the turkey on thanksgiving date"

"i was having some training on a track riding a cross bike. Than a guy comes to me all excited, keeps asking question, introduces me his son, and then, just before he leaves, turns to me and sais: "anyway i must tell Dovizioso is faster than you"

"spanish drivers should play card games a little more, that would help them relaxing. But i guess they'll be upset to lose playing cards too"

"by the things you are saying i can tell you've read my book. I've not even read it that much myself"

"so i've chosen to obtain the bike licence because i wanted to drive bigger bikes than 125. I was soo much happy with my new licence. Two days later a policeman confiscated it"

"even today, at home if i wake up too early in the morning, due to jet lag, i move myself in my parents bed with them, i like it a lot"

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3606 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1127 128 129 130 131181 Next