TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2746 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Makes sense

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:14 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

codename_47 wrote:
EAS wrote:
Vassago wrote:
The main problem is the cars are bulletproof these days so the only way to jeopardise the results are some accidents and it's impossible for Verstappen to drop the ball when he's all on his own after a handful of laps. Outside of the first two races in 2022 Red Bull has been immune to mechanical failures (which was also the case for Mercedes during their dominant stretch).

And the crazy thing is that reliability used to be a factor when parts didn't have to last more than a race.

Today cars are bulletproof even with parts that have to last several races. That's a part that improved in dramatic fashion.

I was listening to an old engineer on the Motorsport magazine podcast (forget who it was) who came up with the theory that maybe there wasn't so much unreliability in the past because they were on the cutting edge of technology, maybe some of it was "finger trouble", it's all well and good assembling these beasts of machines in the factory but disassemble it and reassemble it three or more times over the course of the weekend and you're bound to mess something up....

Take that out, allow them to build the cars at leisure without time pressure and some of the stupid errors we've all read about like races being lost due to tiny 50p washers or whatever else doesn't happen as much or if at all

But it was just a theory, no-one has studied this lol
Not a mechanic, just a repairman and I endorse that theory 100%

If I'm overwhelmed with work I've made some silly mistakes in my day. Some quick and easy to fix, some I've had to rip stuff apart again and once or twice I've had to eat a part or two because it was fried.

I'm just Joe Bloke trying to make deadlines so I can only imagine what those guys and gals were facing under those circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Add in lack of sleep/jet lag on top of that

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:46 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

gkmotorsport wrote:
Huh. Leclerc has gone fastest of all. He shaded Perez by a few tenths, then Max switched in and predictably went quite a bit faster. What I didn't expect is for Leclerc to then put another four tenths on Max.

Red Bull probably still have the best car, but I get the impression the gap back to Ferrari might not be as big as it started out as last year. Alonso has also been making confident noises which aren't currently backed up on the timesheets.

There's a glimmer of hope :8: :8:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:41 am 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

EAS wrote:
ZeroX wrote:
So is it widely accepted now that Horner is guilty despite there being no available details?

I don't think this is a matter of guilty x not guilty. This looks like a power struggle in which the inappropriate behavior is just a tool to justify a decision that wouldn't be justifiable otherwise.
Amusing is the wrong word, but it's somewhat amusing to make note of Toto's comments when asked about the situation: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... igation-f1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Red Bull will provide the same transparency that FIA did when issuing Ferrari a penalty in 2020

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Huh. Leclerc has gone fastest of all. He shaded Perez by a few tenths, then Max switched in and predictably went quite a bit faster. What I didn't expect is for Leclerc to then put another four tenths on Max.

Red Bull probably still have the best car, but I get the impression the gap back to Ferrari might not be as big as it started out as last year. Alonso has also been making confident noises which aren't currently backed up on the timesheets.

Apparently, Sainz's long run pace on Thursday evening was pretty good and basically had zero deg on the C3 tyre, so if nothing else they have banished some of the wear problems. If they were running similar fuel levels to Red Bull for this run, they might not be far behind at all. Of course, Red Bull could be sandbagging like Mercedes always did...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

Apparently, Sainz's long run pace on Thursday evening was pretty good and basically had zero deg on the C3 tyre, so if nothing else they have banished some of the wear problems. If they were running similar fuel levels to Red Bull for this run, they might not be far behind at all. Of course, Red Bull could be sandbagging like Mercedes always did...

Analysis posted on Reddit from a "team insider" said that the Red Bull showed characteristics of being on full fuel for all of its running in testing and they paired down the boost to the bare minimum....

I'm just going into the season assuming it's 24/24 for Max and anything else will be a bonus.

And still people will argue the mercedes era was worse, for some reason... :slaphead:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I'm a bit biased to say something because I like Verstappen, he reminds me a bit of Schumacher, but playing less dirty and displaying a will not only to win but to thrash opposition

But again, he might win the championship, but it'll not be easy. After utter domination world champions always face some adversity despite some managing to win again (and some rule tweaks to help like in 2003 and 2013)

the only problem lies on the lack of unexpected, at least Toto and Brown are trying to de-stabilize Red Bull calling on the Horner case

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

Analysis posted on Reddit from a "team insider" said that the Red Bull showed characteristics of being on full fuel for all of its running in testing and they paired down the boost to the bare minimum....

I'm just going into the season assuming it's 24/24 for Max and anything else will be a bonus.

And still people will argue the mercedes era was worse, for some reason... :slaphead:

If true (and I have no reason to doubt it), it reflects really badly on Perez before the season has even started 8O

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wonder if Perez will last the season. If the Red Bull is as dominant as last season, it almost doesn't matter, because Max's points alone will probably win them the constructors. If Ferrari/Mercedes/McLaren have closed the gap at all (we can only hope), then Perez could cost the team a lot more points. He did start 2023 OK, and does tend to go well at Saudi.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

The difference was/is that even a mediocre driver like Bottas was able to comfortably finish 2nd most races while Perez struggle to do that consistently.
And personally I rate Bottas and Perez around the same. So in that regards I feel the Mercedes era was more on the car and the Red Bull era more on Verstappen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:27 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

micha wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

The difference was/is that even a mediocre driver like Bottas was able to comfortably finish 2nd most races while Perez struggle to do that consistently.
And personally I rate Bottas and Perez around the same. So in that regards I feel the Mercedes era was more on the car and the Red Bull era more on Verstappen.

No

And at least Bottas was allowed to win on the occasions he was faster than Hamilton

And when Mercedes domination was at its zenith, they let Lewis and Nico race for the championship, something Red Bull would never allow even if Perez upped his game this season

Basically Perez has been the worst number 2 to a dominant Number 1 since Webber post 2010 (and even he wasn't that bad, just couldn't start for shit)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:29 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I wonder if Perez will last the season. If the Red Bull is as dominant as last season, it almost doesn't matter, because Max's points alone will probably win them the constructors. If Ferrari/Mercedes/McLaren have closed the gap at all (we can only hope), then Perez could cost the team a lot more points. He did start 2023 OK, and does tend to go well at Saudi.

Red Bull have a surplus of drivers, all of them will have to prove themselves so they don't shuffle things around to get Liam Lawson off the bench

Mainly Yuki and Sergio, but I guess Danny-ric is gonna need to perform too to prove his recent slump is just confidence levels in other teams and not something more fundamental...

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

No

And at least Bottas was allowed to win on the occasions he was faster than Hamilton

Perez won 2 of the first 4 races in 2023 and Max finished 2nd in both.

Quote:
And when Mercedes domination was at its zenith, they let Lewis and Nico race for the championship, something Red Bull would never allow even if Perez upped his game this season

we will never know unless Perez can actually up his game.

Quote:
Basically Perez has been the worst number 2 to a dominant Number 1 since Webber post 2010 (and even he wasn't that bad, just couldn't start for shit)

yeah but if people like Lando also long term commit themselves to other teams I don't see that change soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:03 pm 

But again, how much of it is down to Verstappen being that much better than Perez or how much of it is down to Red Bull running a 1 car team?

I wonder what people today would have said in 1994 when Schumacher was putting the Benetton on pole nearly a second ahead of the next car and his team mates were sometimes over four seconds slower in qualifying in the "same" car in the same qualifying session?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This take from Albon gives a good insight on how Max dominates his teammates and the one team car isn't exactly what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The report on Horner's behaviour has been completed and a decision on his future should be announced within the next couple of days.

Regardless of how that concludes, the potentially bigger long-term story is that there is now very much a split between the Thai and Austrian sides of the business; if Mintzlaff (with the support of Mateschitz) had his way, Horner would have been suspended. He was not suspended because the Thais are very supportive of him and, unlike Dietrich, Mark does not have the power to overrule the Thais in senior personnel decisions. There is no guarantee that even if the report damns Horner that he would be removed.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

codename_47 wrote:

Amazing
Merc era was still worse though

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Those cars from 2014 to 2016 can die in a fire that burns for the whole year.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2746 Next