TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 3281 Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:20 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

Well, ther currently IS a FIA grade 1 circuit in the Netherlands. However MotoGP probably wouldn't be too happy if Liberty was trying to go there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 am 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

I have little hope for passing at Zandvoort. It's basically a mix of Catalunya & post-1994 Imola. This would be a snoozer of a Grand Prix IMO but like mentioned above, FIA will go lenghts to cash in on the Verstappen fanbase.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Never been a fan of the new Zandvoort track. I can't remember seeing a decent race there, and I hated the track in computer games. The chicane is terrible. The last corner is fun, but I think the following straight is too short for F1.

If they go to Zandvoort, it proves once again that F1 goes to where they can find the most money, not where the best races can be held.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:

If they go to Zandvoort, it proves once again that F1 goes to where they can find the most money, not where the best races can be held.

and are you at all surprised???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
Omega wrote:

and are you at all surprised???

ofcourse not. Still a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I'm still up for races in Europe where they cannot pass instead of tracks in the middle of nowhere because some rich country doesn't have where to spend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Instead, we go to races in the middle of nowhere where they cannot pass.

Zandvoort will have its first race in May 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:00 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

You can't pass the Dutchie on the left hand side?

Ok then...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Srs tho

Zaandvort is a nice track now....

What the hell is F1 going to do to it to make it "safe" do you think?

I can imagine the Dumbreck barrier is going to be moved back for a start, and of course all gravel will be banished from the area, that's just standard.

RIP Zaandvort or Zaandvort rises??

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
thebest story about Zandvoort is told by Mario Andretti, when he tried to pass Hunt in the outside on Tarzan and Hunt played him off the track. Lately he went to Hunt to seek explanation to what the brit just replied "here you don't pass by the outside"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Anyone able to share that Autosport Plus "what ifs" article? Based on the sub-heading, it sounds like they pinched some of my ideas :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
Anyone able to share that Autosport Plus "what ifs" article? Based on the sub-heading, it sounds like they pinched some of my ideas :lol:

Quote:
he 1000-race history of the world championship has been the stage for some of the most legendary battles ever seen in motorsport - but history turns on some key events and decisions, so what might have happened had the coin-toss of history come down as tails instead of heads on some of those occasions?

As part of our celebration of the landmark Chinese Grand Prix, we've picked out five times when history forked in one direction, but had it gone the other things could have been very different.

Moss versus Clark
The Stirling Moss-Jim Clark battle is one of the great motorsport fights that never happened. Clark was just about to get into his stride when Moss, then the undisputed best in the world, suffered his career-ending crash at Goodwood in 1962. But what if he had walked away from that accident on April 23?

Moss had been set to drive a Rob Walker-run Ferrari that season, Enzo's cars having only been defeated in 1961 world championship races by two mighty Moss drives. But events would soon prove that the 156 was no longer a match for the latest British contenders, notably Clark's Lotus 25 and Graham Hill's BRM P57. Moss might have been able to steal the odd podium or win, but the title would surely still have gone to Hill.

Ferrari's revival began in 1963 with John Surtees, but with Moss on its books would it have signed the ex-motorcycle ace? It's difficult to know if a Moss-led Ferrari would have improved in the same way as it did with Surtees, but it seems likely. He was willing to test and could see Ferrari's potential. That means Moss could have finally taken that elusive title in '64, following Clark's first crown the year before.

Surtees's real-life title defence was hamstrung by reliability problems, so Clark and Lotus would still have swept to the 1965 championships. However, had Moss still been at Ferrari in '66 and not fallen out with management, there is little doubt he would have won the title with the 312. Surtees surely would have done so had he not walked out on the team at Le Mans.

It's not out of the question Moss would have stuck with Ferrari machinery - his time at Mercedes and Vanwall had only been ended by the withdrawals of those teams - and, had Walker's terms with Ferrari remained favourable, there would have been little reason to change. And would Lotus boss Colin Chapman really have supplied the privateer team with equal equipment once Team Lotus and Clark was ready to win?

Nevertheless, Ferrari was outclassed in 1967 and '69, and was too unreliable in '68, so Denny Hulme, Jackie Stewart and Hill would probably still have taken their titles.

Moss believed he would have continued racing as slicks and wings arrived - after Clark's death in a Hockenheim F2 crash - and his old rival, Jack Brabham, showed it was possible to remain competitive by winning the 1970 South African GP shortly before his 44th birthday.

Moss, three years younger than Brabham, could therefore have still been quick enough in a Ferrari to benefit from Jochen Rindt's death at Monza in 1970, as Jacky Ickx nearly did. That was also the last year a privateer (Ken Tyrrell's March 701, driven by Stewart) was able to win a world championship race and Walker closed his team at the end of 1970. With Walker leaving - and cars such as the powerful Porsche 917 proving faster than the F1 machines of the day - Moss could well have retired from F1 at that point.

He could have done so with three world titles - 1964, '66 and '70 - to his name. That's one more than Clark but, given the changing competitive fortunes of Lotus and Ferrari during the period, it's quite possible the two greats would not have had much in the way of battles on a level playing field. Motorsport enthusiasts might still have been frustrated.

What if Clark had lived on
When it comes to F1 duels that never quite happened, one of the most appealing is that of Scottish legends and friends Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. Clark was busy putting in arguably his greatest season - winning the world championship and the Indianapolis 500 - when Stewart arrived in F1 with BRM in 1965. In one of the finest rookie campaigns, Stewart was often Clark's closest rival, and won the Italian GP and finished third in the world championship, behind Clark and BRM team leader Graham Hill. Clark was still king of the hill, but Stewart was learning fast.

BRM became less competitive after 1965, leaving Stewart with such poor machinery as the H16-engined P83. But a move to Ken Tyrrell's eponymous team and Matra chassis for '68 was the start of one of the great F1 partnerships.

By now, the revolutionary Cosworth DFV-engined Lotus 49 was reliable and Clark waltzed to victory in the season-opening South African GP. Stewart got ahead of the second Lotus of Hill before retiring, but a third world title looked likely for Clark.

He had two options for the weekend of April 6-7: the BOAC 500 world sportscar race at Brands Hatch and the European F2 season-opener at Hockenheim. Had he chosen Brands he would have avoided the fatal accident that befell him in Germany and arrived at the Spanish GP in May as favourite.

He would also have done so without Stewart, who had suffered his own F2 accident at Jarama. He missed the subsequent Monaco GP too. In real life, those JYS absences helped Hill secure the title. Clark was clearly Lotus number one and would surely have been world champion instead. His relationship with team boss Colin Chapman was becoming more strained by 1967 but another world title would perhaps have kept them together.

The on-track story would have got more interesting in 1969. Lotus and Matra were evenly matched and, in reality, Jochen Rindt often gave Stewart cause for concern. But the Lotus was too unreliable, so Stewart would probably have taken the crown with his favourite F1 car, the MS80, even if Clark had still been around.

Post-1969 Alternative 1

Would the frailty of the Lotus have finally encouraged Clark to look elsewhere for 1970? Or retirement?

Perhaps March founders Max Mosley, Alan Rees, Graham Coaker and Robin Herd would have found a way to get Clark into one of the many 701s on the grid. That would have given Clark the same machinery as Stewart, in a Tyrrell-run example, and Chris Amon. A direct comparison would have been great for fans - and motorsport historians - but all three would have found the March not worthy of their abilities as Rindt and the Lotus 72 dominated prior to the Austrian's fatal crash at Monza.

With Rindt gone and Clark disenchanted with the March, it's easy to see a reconciliation with Chapman - it happened between Lotus and Ronnie Peterson in 1978. Chapman would probably have placed Clark alongside Emerson Fittipaldi at Reine Wisell's expense, setting up a tussle between the established great and the rising star.

After a difficult year with the 72, faced with the young Brazilian charger and thrashed by Stewart's Tyrrell 003, Clark might then have decided to call it a day, having racked up the same trio of titles that JYS managed before his retirement at the end of 1973.

Post-1969 Alternative 2

With Stewart hamstrung by the March 701, Clark would have been able to make good use of the 72 in 1970, had he remained at Lotus. He might also have been more willing to use crotch straps, and thus survived the Monza crash that killed Rindt. Given Rindt's five wins before the Italian GP, Clark could well have broken his own 1963 record of seven victories.

Would Clark have continued? Opinions, even of those close to him, have always been split on whether or not he was on the verge of giving it all up. But such an impressive campaign and a fourth world title would have been one hell of a way to retire at 34, the same age Stewart was when he retired after his finest season in 1973.

Stewart at Ferrari
Between 1968 and 1973 Jackie Stewart won 25 world championship races and three drivers' titles. Ferrari won just eight points-paying grands prix during that time, but things could have been different if plans for 1968 had gone the way Enzo Ferrari intended.

During his unsuccessful 1967 campaign with BRM, Stewart made what was supposed to be a secret visit to Maranello to talk about a possible deal. "It was like Star Wars in comparison to any F1 operation everywhere else," recalls Stewart. "I was impressed, but I didn't know what to do, so I said I'd think about it.

"He wanted me to drive F2 as well as F1 and I said, 'I drive for Ken Tyrrell'. He said he'd give us the engines then if I wanted to drive the Matra, but he needed it red. I said it's blue, and we agreed it would be blue at the bottom and red on the top. That was a big deal."

Before anything was signed, Stewart travelled to Enna-Pergusa for a European F2 round with his Matra team-mate Jacky Ickx: "He asked if I was going to take the Ferrari drive. I said, 'How do you know about that?' He said, 'They told me, they've offered me the drive'. I said, 'Well in that case you should take the drive because I'm not going to take it'.

"I was already frightened about Ferrari. I knew of their reputation and history with drivers. Shell wanted me to do it and it was good money, but it was an instantaneous thing.

"I phoned Franco Gozzi and told him the deal was off. He said, 'But you shook Il Commendatore's hand'. And I said, 'Yes, and he shook mine, but now Jacky Ickx tells me that he's been offered my drive'. He said, 'There must be some mistake'. I said, 'Well, it's a mistake that tells me I shouldn't be driving for Ferrari'."

Ickx did indeed go to Ferrari, while Stewart, Matra and Tyrrell joined forces, narrowly missing out on the 1968 F1 crown before dominating the following year. By the time Ferrari won its next title, Stewart had won two more championships with Tyrrell and retired, but what if he had signed?

Firstly, it's quite possible that, without Stewart, Ken Tyrrell would never have founded his eponymous team, meaning one of F1's great marques, not to mention cars such as the P34 six-wheeler, might not have existed.

Stewart's career might have been more tricky too. Rising star Ickx won the French GP in 1968 and team-mate Chris Amon led more laps than anyone other than Stewart and Graham Hill that season, but poor luck prevented a title challenge and 1969 was a poor one for Ferrari.

The 1970 312B was a better proposition than the March 701 Stewart was saddled with and might have been enough for him to snatch the crown from Jochen Rindt after the Lotus driver was killed at Monza, but Ickx's time at Ferrari after that was largely frustrating. Could Stewart have been a galvanising force in the way that Niki Lauda was after Stewart retired? It's impossible to say, but this is probably one of motorsport's what-ifs in which the driver made the right call. Ferrari certainly struggled more without Stewart than Stewart did without Ferrari.

Villeneuve at McLaren
Gilles Villenueve famously made his Formula 1 debut in a McLaren M23 in the 1977 British Grand Prix prior to his move to Ferrari for the following season. But when Villeneuve lost his life in qualifying for the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix a return to McLaren was looking very likely.

In 1981, there had been some tentative negotiations between Villeneuve and Ferrari, involving some figures-on-a-pitboard antics in the Montreal pitlane that baffled observers, but Villeneuve stayed on for the ill-fated '82 season but was free to leave at the end of that year. The move to McLaren was still very much in the pipeline for 1983 and he was set to move to the team, something that would have been made even more likely by the acrimony within Ferrari that arose after Dider Pironi won the infamous 1982 San Marino Grand Prix after, in Villenueve's eyes, breaking a team agreement not to pass him.

That would mean Villeneuve, on a long-term deal, lining up alongside Niki Lauda at McLaren in 1983. It would have likely left Ferrari with the same line-up for '83 as in reality, with Rene Arnoux signed from Renault after falling out with the team following the French Grand Prix and stand-in Patrick Tambay signed on a permanent deal. The driver who loses out in all this is John Watson, although it would have been logical for Renault to sign him to take Arnoux's place rather than Eddie Cheever.

The first key question is would Villeneuve have won the '82 championship had he survived qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder? The answer is, probably. The Ferrari 126C2 was the strongest all-round package of the season, and with Pironi injured at Hockenheim the way will have been clear for Villeneuve to prevail. Provided, of course, he'd been able to put the Imola controversy, still raw when he got to Zolder, behind him and focus on doing the job.

If so, Villeneuve would take the number one to McLaren. In 1983, McLaren was very much on the rise as the changes made early in the Ron Dennis era started to take effect, but it was still stuck with a normally-aspirated Cosworth engine in an era where the turbo was king. Villeneuve's qualifying speed would surely have given him an advantage over Lauda, and surely he would have won the famous Long Beach Grand Prix that year, when Watson and Lauda finished first and second from 22nd and 23rd on the grid respectively.

This means Villeneuve would have a shot at the '84 title in the all-conquering TAG Porsche-engined McLaren MP4/2. It would come down to a battle between Lauda's experience and savvy and Villeneuve's speed, a battle that Villeneuve would surely have won unless his season was as beset by mechanical problems as Prost's was in the real world that year.

There would be plenty of knock-on effects. Prost, after falling out with Renault, would not have joined McLaren in 1984 and would therefore likely have ended up either at Lotus or Ferrari that season. Prost was a driver who appealed to McLaren, and there's every chance he would have ended up there, perhaps as team-mate to Villeneuve in '86 after Lauda's retirement.

As for Villenueve, he could conceivably have remained at McLaren for some time. He would have had a clear run at the '85 crown, although it's difficult to see him reproducing the Prost-style season that stole the '86 title from under the nose of Williams.

So had he lived, Villeneuve might well have thrived to become a triple world champion in the more calming environment of McLaren, which would surely have allowed him to round off his sensational speed with the all-round attributes needed to be a great champion. And the career of Alain Prost, as a result, might have been sent in a different direction.

Senna races on
Had Ayrton Senna climbed out of the wreckage of his Williams-Renault FW16 on 1 May 1994, would he have won the 1994 world championship? Given the form of Williams improved dramatically once the French Grand Prix sidepod package was introduced and the problems caused by switching from active ride to passive had been solved, the easy answer is yes. After all, Damon Hill came within a point of doing so.

But Senna would have been 30 points behind Michael Schumacher - and seven behind Hill - after Imola. He would surely have won the Spanish Grand Prix that followed and perhaps at Monaco as well, to kick-start his title challenge. Assuming the rest of the season progressed as it did in reality, with Schumacher disqualified from the British Grand Prix and subsequently banned for two races - and then excluded at Spa - and Senna was able to perform at a higher level than Hill then a fourth world title was possible.

Ferrari's then-president, Luca di Montezemolo, has claimed there was contact with Senna before Imola about a possible move to Ferrari - perhaps even as early as 1995. But if Senna and Williams had hit their stride, it's likely he would have stayed on.

Then it becomes a question of how many titles? Williams underachieved in 1995 but had a quick car - whether it was quick enough for Senna to have won the title rather than Benetton driver Schumacher is a moot point. But the Benetton B195 remains an underrated car, and this would surely have been a spectacular battle.

Senna would surely have won the '96 and '97 titles in a Williams, so it becomes a question of how long he would have raced on for - and whether the lure of Ferrari would have led to a move there. Had Ferrari opted to sign Senna and build the team around him rather than Schumacher, history would have been very different, although the appeal of the younger star would perhaps have ensured things didn't change so much - especially if Schumacher had beaten Senna to the title in '95.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:52 am 

Thank you. Didn't know Moss was going to get a Rob Walker Ferrari - not sure I entirely agree with that alternative history for that one but makes for interesting theories

The only one of those I've done an article on as part of a series I did for my blog is Villeneuve at McLaren. I've got him staying at (and winning the title at) Ferrari for 83 after winning the title in 82, before going to McLaren for 84 and ending up with 4 titles in a row (narrowly missing on 86 because Prost would have ended up at Williams)

Fwiw my favourite scenario that I've come up with is what if Schumacher had retired after 9/11?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:46 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I've never really understood these kinds of articles because once you change one thing, you change everything

It's not like Senna doesn't have his crash at Imola but things continue exactly the same.
Senna's still alive so Schumacher probably wouldn't be trying the outsyching game at Silverstone on the warm up lap he tried with Hill so probably isn't banned for 2 races.
But then, with Senna being senna and also being so certain that Bennetton were cheating, does the FIA investigate them even harder that year, do they actually get thrown out of the championship for their illegal traction control, fuel rig modifications and whatever else
Without Senna's death, the huge safety push of the FIA doesn't happen, but with those cars pushing those speeds as they were, it's only a matter of time before something else happens
Who dies? Or do we just have a very near miss later on in the year and the FIA push through smaller safety changes that result in a few more deaths in the following years
Maybe this time some spectators get taken out as collateral damage and the whole sport suffers such negative PR that sponsors pull out, there is a huge downturn and a few countries go all Switzerland on us

No, once you pull one thread, you unravel the whole weave.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:05 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Not bad, Scotty. That would have been epic era.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm 

I didn't bother doing an article on the Senna one when I wrote my series of What If articles because a) it's been done to death (to the point of one guy having written a book on it) and b) I think it would probably have ended up being a lot more boring than people think. Michael wasn't going to be beaten in 1994 and I don't think Senna would have made as much difference to the car as people think, especially in the way the races panned out. 1995 might have been slightly more interesting, 1996 and 1997 wouldn't have been

But even predicting some level of success for him after 94 is based on a lot of assumptions. Taking a guess as to when he'd have retired is basically pulling straws out of a hat - there's an argument to say he'd have walked away at the end of 94, or at the end of the 90s. He might have had trouble adapting to refuelling races or grooved tyres - he wasn't the flawless demi-god people today seem to think he was. He might have gone to Ferrari and burned bridges. He might have gone back to McLaren when Mercedes arrived

It's very open-ended, which is what makes it fun but also really difficult to predict. As long as you don't take these things too seriously, it's a nice aside from the dreariness of Mercedes 1-2s every other week

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:49 pm 

My idea always was Senna would have retired after 1997 once Williams lost the works Renault engines (that's assuming he never went to Ferrari after 1994/95 but with Schumacher being on their list I'm pretty sure he wouldn't). Senna would never put up with the Mecachrome impostor after the 1992/93 McLaren drama.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 pm 

Vassago wrote:
My idea always was Senna would have retired after 1997 once Williams lost the works Renault engines (that's assuming he never went to Ferrari after 1994/95 but with Schumacher being on their list I'm pretty sure he wouldn't). Senna would never put up with the Mecachrome impostor after the 1992/93 McLaren drama.

Hmm, I don't think Senna would have retired as champion - he was far too driven by winning, and if he was winning races and titles, he'd have wanted to keep winning. Assuming he wins 1996 and 1997 in your scenario at the very least, I think he'd want to give it another go in 1998. It just depends on if he'd have stood for "the Mecachrome impostor". I remember at the time there was great confidence around Williams that there would be no real change since Mecachrome were making the Renault engines anyway so it would just be a different badge. Obviously history tells us a different story now

There are a couple of other things to take into account, though. One is those grooved tyres and narrower cars for 1998. The other is the possibility of going back to McLaren - I think Senna finishing his career back there would have been far more likely than him finishing it at Ferrari in the end, especially if we're assuming Michael would have gone there anyway. I suppose we could assume a bizarro worst/best case scenario where Ayrton leaves Williams after winning 1995, 1996 and 1997 to rejoin McLaren and immediately win 1998, 1999 and maybe even 2000. But that's probably overestimating his abilities

It's amazing, though - the first of the articles I did has another alternative scenario, where McLaren pick Piquet over Senna for 1988 (which is what they wanted to do, until Prost persuaded them otherwise), which basically leads to a potential timeline where Senna never wins the title at all. There are fine margins and so much comes down to the choices drivers and teams make - or, when you're coming up with these scenarios, the decisions you think they'd have made

I've said for a long time that what we need is the equivalent of a revamped, fully licensed Motorsport Manager covering F1, F2 and F3 where you can start it at any point between 1968 and 2018. Let the computers decide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Biggest problem for Williams was loosing Newey rather then the engines they ended up with.

With Meccachrome, same engine builder but they'd lost Renault's support financially.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Zandvoort has had some great F1 battles. Maybe not possible in the current cars, but it's still a fun track.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 3281 Next