TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 183 84 85 86 87113 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:25 pm 

kals wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I've said this before.

What prevents F1 to go back to non-hybrids and start using bio-fuels, if environmental values matter so much?

Pride, and the enviromentalist morons who don't understand just how little of an impact F1 has on the environment.

I thought they'd moved their focus onto plastic straws now?

Go on and talk about bio-fuels to someone who actually has a degree in environmental/natural sciences.

Also, plastic straws are bigger problem than F1, as are thousands of other things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
The more I read about some cities going completely emission free in their city centres and having clean air zones etc, the more you realise F1 should be leading this charge rather than being left behind

London has had a low emission zone for years and it's done absolutely fuck all for emissions, so will these 'no cars allowed' zones they are going to introduce, because cars are not the whole problem, but that's the elephant in the room nobody wants to address. F1 is an easy target, you don't see NASCAR or Indycar being targetted for not leading the charge, that is what Formula E is for (and anybody who believes that is emission free is deluded and needs to look up how carbon credits work).

But this is getting way off topic so let's just agree the hybrid engine formula has done nothing to reduce costs and sucks ass and I'm pretty sure none of us want to watch a Grand Prix of Effecientcy bug would rather watch the drivers driving flat out the entire race instead of doing a fuel economy run.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
The more I read about some cities going completely emission free in their city centres and having clean air zones etc, the more you realise F1 should be leading this charge rather than being left behind

London has had a low emission zone for years and it's done absolutely fuck all for emissions, so will these 'no cars allowed' zones they are going to introduce, because cars are not the whole problem, but that's the elephant in the room nobody wants to address. F1 is an easy target, you don't see NASCAR or Indycar being targetted for not leading the charge, that is what Formula E is for (and anybody who believes that is emission free is deluded and needs to look up how carbon credits work).

But this is getting way off topic so let's just agree the hybrid engine formula has done nothing to reduce costs and sucks ass and I'm pretty sure none of us want to watch a Grand Prix of Effecientcy bug would rather watch the drivers driving flat out the entire race instead of doing a fuel economy run.

I dunno what you want to say man, we gotta do something to make progress, these might all be baby steps, but it's better than still sitting around burning all the fuel we want until we're underwater

Some people won't be happy until global warming actually happens, but by then they'll be long dead so they see it as not their problem.

There's that old Ancient Greek saying "Great men make plans for planting trees under whose shade they'll know they'll never sit"
ATM on global warming its more like "Men will argue over how much money they'll spent on seeds while trying to spread information that trees shade isn't a good thing in the first place"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:57 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gaara wrote:
Whatever environmental gains F1 makes in it's engines gets ruined by the fly away races.

Exactly this!

One overseas flight makes more pollution than what the whole series makes all together! Yet no one cares about that! The current engine rules are stupid and please no one, make the engines cheap again! Here's a wild idea. Just give them the fuel they have to use and the amount that they can use. Let's see how insane engines they can build. Because let's face it, the batteries are very unfriendly to the environment and can't hold as much power as good liquid biofuel can. Give 'em biofuel and see who get's the best out of it. Maybe, just maybe it will be turned into some appliance thatcan be used on road cars, you know. And besides, Formula E holds the rights for electric formulas for the next twenty years. So go do something better, all right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

I dunno what you want to say man, we gotta do something to make progress, these might all be baby steps, but it's better than still sitting around burning all the fuel we want until we're underwater

Some people won't be happy until global warming actually happens, but by then they'll be long dead so they see it as not their problem.

There's that old Ancient Greek saying "Great men make plans for planting trees under whose shade they'll know they'll never sit"
ATM on global warming its more like "Men will argue over how much money they'll spent on seeds while trying to spread information that trees shade isn't a good thing in the first place"

As others have said why should F1 be "making the progress" when just transporting all the equipment to a single race does more to polute the atmosphere than all the F1 cars do collectively over an entire decade. Leave the pandering to the environuts to Formula E and crap series like that and let F1 be the pinnacle of the sport like it's supposed to be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or they could just stop going to those flyaway places where no one cares for F1 and so they race in front of empty grandstands or have people 'forced' to show up.

The pinnacle of the sport should also have the pinnacle of technology, not outdated engine tech. Leave that to historic racing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But F1 isn't the pinnacle of technology though, the systems are so complicated they will never make it to productions models, could you imagine Joe Bloogs when he reads his owners manual, "passengers must disimbark the vehicle by jumping clear and must not touch the vehicle and ground at the same time as death may result." They're gonna go what the fuck?

If you want to show off how little fuel you use while lapping the track you have the WEC for that. If you want to con people in to believing your batteries are saving the planet while your cars pound around the city centre and you secretly buy up carbon credits so you can claim to be carbon nuteral, you've got Formula E for that, Formula One is the pinnacle of the sport, a sport where the idea is to get to the finish line in the fastest way possible, and probably the noisiest way possible, not the most economical most complicated way to save a cup of fuel slowest way you can.

If Motorsport was banned today worldwide, it would make absolutely no difference to how polluted the world is, Formula One should stick to what it does best, be the noisiest fastest sport it can be. People did not start turning off until this stupid hybrid era started, surely that must tell you something?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not wanting to join the discussion about the environment and all, but the electricity for Formula E is coming from big stinking diesel generators behind the paddock.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I don't give a shit about being the major racing series, I just want racing like it was (and Mercedes out)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The discussion about mass transportation of sports equipment / sports fans is pointless - even much more popular, zero-emission sports like tennis, football, etc... transport a much higher mass of people/cargo around the world. I'm pretty sure the total mass of a football (heck, rugby) team, with all accompanying staff and all, is the same as a whole F1 team with its cars/equipment, so it probably evens out to haul that shit worldwide. That should not be factored into environmental impact of motorsports, unless we are putting in question the very concept of having worldwide series and entertainment.

It's the philosophy behind F1 that is problematic, not the actual numbers. You're burning fossil fuels to accelerate a mass to unnecessary speeds, just so you can brake and waste that energy into heat by braking in the next turn. Like most of human activities, it's increasingly pointless and wasteful in the current state of the planet and the impending climate change issue, and whether we like it or not its popularity and priority over other activities will only decrease from now on. At least, Formula-E and any electric/hybrid series will appear less wasteful to the general public, it will help politics defend and fund the events, and hence allow us to keep seeing cars racing on track, which is what we ultimately want.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But yeah, while the world is becoming unlivable quicker than we think, let's sit around pissing and moaning about how wanting to do something about it has made F1 slightly worse. I'm sure future generations will respect our priorities.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You sound like all the deluded people who think little old England can alone fix the worlds plastic, air and all other problems when we cannot even ensure the air in our capital city is clean, we are too tiny to make a difference to the world overall and so is Formula One, hence my comment about banning motorsport completely would make no difference to how polluted the air is. Future generations will be too busy being glued to their phones watching pewdepie on Youtube to care about the air they breath.

When the world collectively agrees to do something about it, yeah, let's do it, but all the time the rest of us gives a free pass to the likes of China and India on pollution, why even bother? Whatever saving we make is vastly outweighed by the shit pumped into the air by everybody else.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So the idea is to not bother? Imagine if everyone decided not to bother. You sound just like Trump's EPA.

And China is actually doing something about pollution contrary to popular belief about it not giving a shit.
https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... -pollution

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No, my point is it needs everybody to work together, not to not bother at all, banning the trading of carbon credits would br a good start.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And until the world's population joins hands and agrees as a planet to do something about it, everything else is just environuts? After all, it's not like most previous major cultural changes were started by a minority of persistent agitators.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No, you're following a typical environuts POV and reading what you want to see, rather than what is actually written.

If youre not going to read what I wrote properly I'm not going to bother trying to reason with you anymore, at no point did I say not to bother, but I'm going to go and watch the MotoGP and the British Superbikes, two series who are as popular as ever and constantly expanding, all without trying to fix the environment or pander to vocal minority fuckwits that have ruined F1 over the last few years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I still believe that a chaotic event will wipe away civilization as we know it in less than 50 years so I think we don't have to worry with enviroment

I once heard that the best thing to do for nature and so is to not have children and to die soon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I still believe that a chaotic event will wipe away civilization as we know it

The FIA get their shit together, listen to fans and create a sustainable and awesome F1 that causes everyones minds to expolde in its awesomness??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

not only FIA but every single sport governing body, that will make every single sport appealing to its fans leading to a whole new era of entertainment and people don't giving a shit to anything else (meltdowns everywhere)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I still believe that a chaotic event will wipe away civilization as we know it in less than 50 years so I think we don't have to worry with enviroment

I once heard that the best thing to do for nature and so is to not have children and to die soon
The sad thing is, most people believe that or something similar that justifies them not worrying about anything beyond their expected lifetime.

But enough off topic, we should get back onto the subject of Making F1 Great Again.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 183 84 85 86 87113 Next