TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 182 83 84 85 86113 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Neil wrote:
Would it be the worst thing in the world if the manufacturers left and we got some like Judd, Hart, Cosworth etc?

it'd be the best thing, specially with a cost effective operation and less dependence on aerodynamics or electric engines

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:37 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Neil wrote:
Would it be the worst thing in the world if the manufacturers left and we got some like Judd, Hart, Cosworth etc?

Yes. The whole of the sport is built around some form of manufacturer or large corporate presence. If it was just left to small teams, there's no way they would be able to sustain themselves with that level of capital investment - and that's not just a case of paying for drivers but all the staff as well, on top of maintaining facilities and being able to design and build cars. And it's not like they can all just scale down to Manor size and be fine - the sport is built in such a way that expects high standards, particularly in terms of safety

Added to that, most of the top drivers would probably leave, and it would probably lead to a much bigger field spread - you'd most likely end up with one or two teams (perhaps rump manufacturer teams/Red Bull) with a much bigger budget than the rest, and they would be miles ahead. I imagine it being similar to what happened in the WRC when the manufacturers pulled out en masse, leaving semi-works Citroen, Ford, a reduced Subaru and a load of privateers. It was really awful to watch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Neil wrote:

F1 would die if it lost the big names. It would lose it's relate-ability among the masses, the casual watchers, the people who only attend one race a year, the people who only catch highlights.

What would save F1 is a cost cap so the Judds, Hart's and Cosworths of the world could at least go up against them and be competitive. They can't hold a candle to them with 1/10th the budget. Especially with the environment we are now in with complicated hybrid systems teams have had 5 year perfecting

The FIA staked the future of F1 on this. It has come to bite them back on the bum, as firstly the heinous costs involved in getting one of these engines up and running is one major stumbling block for new entrants and secondly as you have just mentioned. We have seen what just a couple of years late development has done to Honda, and how unless you are ontop of your game you will struggle even with 6 plus years of development like Renault.

There are reasons why no one knew wants to committ. The cost involved, the henious complexity of the engines and a sporting body who has and will change the ground rules in which you are to participate thus nullifying your investment.

I know how much of a dinosaur I am for wanting v10s back but just imagine how insane those engines would be if they had even a fraction of the development put into them what these engines have had.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:39 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I've said this before.

What prevents F1 to go back to non-hybrids and start using bio-fuels, if environmental values matter so much?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

back in the 70's F1 had almost none manufacturers and was well. manufacturers at the time were busy trying to win endurance and touring car races while F1 had the top notch cars. Bernie that dug the hole we now today and put everyone there, now they rather drown in that hole than see that there's more outside

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
I've said this before.

What prevents F1 to go back to non-hybrids and start using bio-fuels, if environmental values matter so much?

Pride, and the enviromentalist morons who don't understand just how little of an impact F1 has on the environment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:40 pm 

Onto other matters - who would we like to see in the, as yet unconfirmed, remaining seats for next year? I'd like Kvyat and Vandoorne at STR, Ocon and Kubica at Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I've said this before.

Pride, and the enviromentalist morons who don't understand just how little of an impact F1 has on the environment.

I thought they'd moved their focus onto plastic straws now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Planet cant be saved, even if right now all ships, planes, cars stop forever.
Its too much damage already and from year to year its getting a bit hotter.
The one to blame is the human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I've said this before.

It's time to finally understand f1 is never going back to that era.
You have your classic races, you have your goodwoods and your Boss GPs, but F1 needs to go forwards, not stare back into its past

If F1 wants a chance of attracting any kind of manufacturer interest, it has to go completely renewable energy and sooner rather than later
Make it a technical exercise, free up the rule book completly to something along the lines of "As long as you don't pollute, you can do what you want" so we can watch different philosophies go up against each other (Bio-ethanol vs electric power vs whatever else can be thought of)
Use the sport as a test bed for the next generation of emission less racing and you might attract manufacturer interest again

We can debate the effect F1 has on both global warming and the road car industry until the cows come home, but some manufacturers will be tempted for the PR alone even if they never crack the next big idea.
Hell, that's the reason most of them are in Formula E

Obviously they're the people behind the scenes and we're just the monkeys debating on an internet forum so there's probably good reasons why they're not doing this (vested interests, mainly), but I am pretty sure myself we're watching the slow decline of F1 and the rise of Formula E
Or in a few years time the FIA will have the bright idea of running F1 and FE on the same bill, then eventually quietly badge Formula E as being the new Formula 1 in a decade or so when the technology has come along far enough.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:18 pm 
Eddie Jordan

thestig88 wrote:
Onto other matters - who would we like to see in the, as yet unconfirmed, remaining seats for next year? I'd like Kvyat and Vandoorne at STR, Ocon and Kubica at Williams.

Williams: Ocon and Rowland

STR: Vandoorne and Markelov

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if there's no way back is better to end everything and do something new with garage enthusiasts instead of corporate suits wanting to advertise their crapwagons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 pm 

It doesn't really matter that F1 has very little direct impact on the environment - I mean it also doesn't have very little direct impact on building road cars, even though the whole point of F1 for manufacturers is showcasing their skills in developing car technology. The long and short of it is that F1 is symbolic of the wider automotive industry and therefore has to be seen to be moving with the times. The hybrid engines were meant to be that, and I get the idea behind it - it just hasn't worked because they're too complex and expensive

There's a lot of doom and gloom around at the moment, but a lot of it is unfounded. We have 6 cars entering each race weekend with a chance of winning, which is remarkably competitive in the context of F1 history! And while I appreciate things have been tough financially for a few teams, I don't think there's ever been a time in F1 history where a certain percentage of the grid is on the verge of going under or being withdrawn - in any team sport, you're going to have teams that fail to meet their targets, because no one targets finishing last

But having only four manufacturers in F1 is an issue, because it leaves you at the mercy of each of those four. If Mercedes announced tomorrow they were pulling out at the end of the year (as manufacturers occasionally do), that would affect three teams out of ten, which is a lot, and you're not going to find a replacement overnight - the only option would be to go full Mecachrome with those remaining engines for a few years. They need some kind of buy-in from other manufacturers for the future, and the fact that they're not getting it is a really bad sign, as it suggests their vision for the sport is at odds with that of BMW, Toyota, VW etc - probably because it's both too restrictive and too expensive. That's much more of a threat to the sport than Alonso taking his ball elsewhere because McLaren aren't very good at building racing cars any more

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^That would be nice. If and when that happens, I will not be surprised at all. Maybe then they will return to a primarily European selection of circuits as well, instead of going to shitholes like Bahrain, India, Miami, Azerbaijan, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I've said this before.

Its those environmentalist morons who put pressure on the manufacturers who then put pressure on the sporting body.

F1 needs a breakaway. A series more interested bringing loud fast cars to people. No politics, no confusing technology. KISS principle stuff.

F1 fans at their core don't care about the technological elements. They're heading down a rabbit hole.

Yup, totally agree, the same environmental morons are also those who managed to lobby numerous governments into believing diesel was a better fuel than petrol some 30 years ago, and we all know how well that's worked out.

Maybe they should focus their pressure on industries that have absolutely no regulations when it comes to environmental pollutants, such as airlines, or rockets launches - SpaceX, Blue Origin, NASA, Virgin Galactic - nobody complains about them yet they are completely unregulated and there is no research done as to how much damage they do, cows produce more pollutants than F1 did even at the height of the V8 era so why even bother - oh yeah oh course silly me, F1 is a global brand scared of it's own shadow that'll bend to the whim of anybody who complains about them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whatever environmental gains F1 makes in it's engines gets ruined by the fly away races.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exactly. I'm not going to argue whether F1 needs to be more or less environmentally friendly, but you can't really argue that it has little affect when there is so much air travel involved.

I would guess that the cars themselves are far less polluting over a race distance, than the amount of planes and trucks used to transport everyone and everything to the circuit in the first place. So yeah, V10s would be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I would guess that the cars themselves are far less polluting over a race distance, than the amount of planes and trucks used to transport everyone and everything to the circuit in the first place. So yeah, V10s would be fine.

Erm, that was my point, pick on F1 cars but completely ignore the planes they fly them around in, that's tree hugger logic for you there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah, I misunderstood. Guess we're in complete agreement then!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:12 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

F1 has a position as the motorsport with the spotlight on it to send a message about the future.

The more I read about some cities going completely emission free in their city centres and having clean air zones etc, the more you realise F1 should be leading this charge rather than being left behind

ATM it's pissing off the hardcore fans because of its hybrid engines and pissing off the environmentalists who view hybrid engines as not even a drop in the ocean of what could be done, green wide

At least it's fair, I guess, everyone thinks F1 could be better no matter what perspective you view it from

I think the nostalgia ship has sailed. Put in a v8/v12 engine and boast about the noise and it's not going to put the fans that have turned away back in the stands, not any more
Time to go hard and push the new frontier and see what the ingenious minds in the engineering departments can come up with
Don't follow the trends, make new ones.
I want the Brabham fan car/6 wheel tyrell/ground effect Lotus of sustainable energy.
Free up the regulations, no more ham fisted bullshit that's no good to either purists or greens.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 182 83 84 85 86113 Next