2 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 45
 Post subject: Rate the 2017 Chinese GP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Compared to Melbourne this was a good race (probably 9), but I expected much more, so a 7 it is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:46 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

6, good at the start, fizzled out by the end

If Max hadn't locked up and FUBAR'd his tyres, they probably all would've tried to eek out 1 set for the whole race and it would've been a lot worse.

Good racing because of the wet, not the revolution of the new era it'll probably be hailed as

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
8 - finally some big balls passing, drivers having to work their way to get more points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BIG FUCKING 10!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year had 147 overtakes? I DONT FUCKING CARE. They could have 1000 overtakes last year and I WOULDNT FUCKING CARE.

One overtake on this race puts any of that faking crap DRS shit to pieces. About time F1 that you started to show mens from boys again. And some track racing. Not just several solo praised time-trials.

Edit: Not any overtake that I'm talking about, but that fight between Vettel and Ricciardo, that's what I was desperately missing. But most of the other ones also were very good stuff.

Last edited by Soul Reaver on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great opening laps but far from classic. Not bad end though, so I gave 7.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:14 am 

Very generous 7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very good overtakings without DRS. 7/10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 am 

LucasWheldon, Soul Reaver :yes:

This race probably had more genuine passing and entertainment than all of the last 2 seasons combined.

I gave it a 7. I thought it was good all along, always intriguing, never dull. A few amazing moments with awesome skills like Vettel's overtake on Ric.

It had some dumb moments too like a couple of DRS fly-bys, Giovinazzi's amateurish crash but, all in all, it was a solid 7.

Bahrain will be good too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

6, it did fizzle out at the end. Neither good nor bad, it's not going to remembered much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 pm 
Eddie Jordan

First few laps in the damp awesome. Once it dried out, kinda dull.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:19 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Soul Reaver wrote:

Last year had 147 overtakes? I DONT FUCKING CARE. They could have 1000 overtakes last year and I WOULDNT FUCKING CARE.

One overtake on this race puts any of that faking crap DRS shit to pieces. About time F1 that you started to show mens from boys again. And some track racing. Not just several solo praised time-trials.

Edit: Not any overtake that I'm talking about, but that fight between Vettel and Ricciardo, that's what I was desperately missing. But most of the other ones also were very good stuff.

Jesus Christ you people, we've had passing like that in that corner pretty much every year. It was a brilliant move, no doubt, but nothing we haven't seen before. Indeed, Lewis took the lead from Vettel there in 2011

One boring race in Melbourne was "too early to tell" but one wet/dry race after that is a definite article that F1 is saved?

Ok.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Artur Craft wrote:
This race probably had more genuine passing and entertainment than all of the last 2 seasons combined.

we just need more of that on the fight for the lead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:

Jesus Christ you people, we've had passing like that in that corner pretty much every year. It was a brilliant move, no doubt, but nothing we haven't seen before. Indeed, Lewis took the lead from Vettel there in 2011

One boring race in Melbourne was "too early to tell" but one wet/dry race after that is a definite article that F1 is saved?

Ok.

No, F1 isn't saved, but is finally much less the pile of shit that was the last 3 years. At least now we have a challenge presented to the drivers show why they are who they are on overtakes. Much better, and that has my 10. And Jesus Christ you haters, last race was awesome seing Hamilton getting behind Verstappen and finally losing on normal conditions to another team.

Ah, 2011 you say? That year was the best. Because the drivers still tried to defend their positions like before DRS. You see, DRS isn't the problem. It may well be the solution, but it has only to enable the drivers to FIGHT for position. Not go the other way entirely and also disable any FIGHT for position.

F1 isn't saved, but now is so much better already. We have 2 teams battling for the win, we have good fights for position, the car sound better, it looks better and is so much faster, which is a huge plus. Then Liberty media putting all those things on Youtube. Then the paintings - McLaren, Toro Rosso, Force India, Sauber, Haas and Mercedes have a much better paint scheme.

Before this year, the cars were slow, most overtakes were dull, the sound was a farting pile of shit, the schemes were as boring as the races, the "fight" for the title was one crazy careless man against a grandma that only finished second most of the time with no fucking personality, just one bitter look like he's hating it all.

F1 is saved oh fucking yes. It's not perfect yet, it will be once DRS and tyres makes drivers able to FIGHT for the win, but that my man, is the only thing missing. 2017 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2016, 15, 14 all the way, hands down.
:flag:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

There was DRS in 2011....

It's all a matter of perspective. In some ways F1 is a lot better this year (mainly promotion, looks of the cars, social media and lack of Bernie) in some ways worse (downforce levels/dirty air)

But if you take a wider view, we had largely the same amount of action in that chinese gp as we've always had.
Only this time last year people were talking it down because the product wasn't to their taste, this year they're talking it up because it is.

It's not rocket science to predict the new downforce rules won't have as much of a detrimental effect at tracks with huge long straights and are going to ruin races at places like Spain, Hungary etc.

But hey, it might rain :)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haters gonna hate, once we had one era where everything was perfect then we get bitter at all things that aren't like it used to be. Seems like you had yours. Now you sound like a TBK member. Welcome aboard. :thumbsup: :lol:

Anyway, this picture sums it up what I think when I see a fly-by versus what I saw and felt today when Vettel passed Ricciardo, and later Verstappen had that rare mistake with the crowd going wild on the back. And to some extent when Grosjean passed Massa and when Verstappen passed Ricciardo.

Spoiler:

I started watching F1 when Schumacher moved to Ferrari, and boy, what a challenge was for him to finally win the drivers title with them. I just got addicted to a high challenge with a high reward. It's not only F1 that I hate when it's easy. Indy 500 was boring for me with the stock aero pack on the DW 12, then was perfect that next year that Montoya won, showing why he is the great driver that he is by making those daring moves for the win.

For now, I'm just in the hopes that they actually increase DRS, or give and extra Kers that can only be activated when you also can use DRS, or fix the tyres. But I'll take this kind of battles even though they were not for the win than those we had in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Soul Reaver wrote:
Haters gonna hate, once we had one era where everything was perfect then we get bitter at all things that aren't like it used to be. Seems like you had yours. Now you sound like a TBK member. Welcome aboard. :thumbsup: :lol:

Anyway, this picture sums it up what I think when I see a fly-by versus what I saw and felt today when Vettel passed Ricciardo, and later Verstappen had that rare mistake with the crowd going wild on the back. And to some extent when Grosjean passed Massa and when Verstappen passed Ricciardo.

Spoiler:

I started watching F1 when Schumacher moved to Ferrari, and boy, what a challenge was for him to finally win the drivers title with them. I just got addicted to a high challenge with a high reward. It's not only F1 that I hate when it's easy. Indy 500 was boring for me with the stock aero pack on the DW 12, then was perfect that next year that Montoya won, showing why he is the great driver that he is by making those daring moves for the win.

For now, I'm just in the hopes that they actually increase DRS, or give and extra Kers that can only be activated when you also can use DRS, or fix the tyres. But I'll take this kind of battles even though they were not for the win than those we had in the past.

KERS used to be the perfect DRS defense as I've said before. DRS only became OTT in 2014 when the drivers lost the ability to deploy it manually.

In the 2000s era passing was waaaay too hard bordering on impossible, I guess you weren't around the internet then when people were (rightfully) saying refueling strategy/pitlane passing and high aerodynamics weren't F1.

Just because it was that way when you were younger and watching the sport uncritically, doesn't mean that's the way F1 should be.
F1 took a huge step up in 2009 and again over the next few years banning refueling and bringing in Pirelli etc

Again, it's all about perspective.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Better than Australia. Not terrible, but not exactly good either. There were some nice passes, so 5.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think Bahrain will be even better Of course, Hamilton versus Vettel is likely Hopefully Verstappen can be in the mix again as well

I gave this one a 5 though There were some nice hard-earned non-DRS passes by quite a few drivers But, it was slightly too dry at the start and the fight for the win wasn't much of a fight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:36 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

A solid 7. Enough to keep one excited with the Kimi radio rage adding an extra point.