TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 167 68 69 70 71141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:51 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

BMW set the goal to fight for the championship in 2009, after a good season in 2008. I was quite angry when they announced they would leave the sport, I thought it was a weak move just because they weren't competitive. Of course their lack of competitiveness was one of the reasons but I didn't really took the financial crisis into account. Same thing for Toyota, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:44 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

McLaren has reportedly set a deadline for Honda. At the Belgian GP, they want to be able to make it to Q3 and finish close behind the top three (teams) in the points. If not, they will restart talks with Mercedes.

Don't know how much of this is true, not much probably since they don't have the possibility anymore to change their engine supplier for 2018 (I believe), but if true then it's the first time McLaren has set a hard deadline for Honda.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I heard this before that the deadline for switching engine manufacturers has passed but is this a new thing? I pretty sure RBR was pretty late with confirming Renault a few years back. Also, never heard of this deadline before.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I was ok with 2009 spec after watching Australian GP that year, hoping all races could be like that

I was so naive either

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
McLaren has reportedly set a deadline for Honda. At the Belgian GP, they want to be able to make it to Q3 and finish close behind the top three (teams) in the points. If not, they will restart talks with Mercedes.

Don't know how much of this is true, not much probably since they don't have the possibility anymore to change their engine supplier for 2018 (I believe), but if true then it's the first time McLaren has set a hard deadline for Honda.

On that note, Alonso said that he'll stay at McLaren if they're in a position to win by September.

So, he's basically saying he'll leave after this season, or does he know about a promising update coming after the summer break?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
Mika Kimi wrote:

On that note, Alonso said that he'll stay at McLaren if they're in a position to win by September.

So, he's basically saying he'll leave after this season, or does he know about a promising update coming after the summer break?

Seems like a very clear statement of intent. I don't think any team has ever come from that far back to start winning races in the same season, right? Certainly not since the days of full-time test teams.

The thing is, he seems very committed to F1 even now - makes you wonder who has been sending him nice emails. Ferrari seems most likely, but I'm not sure he would want to have Seb as a team mate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The silly season this year has the potential to be quite a good one.

Some of my predictions (which lets face it will all probably be wrong!)

I've got the feeling that Ricciardo will go. He seems quite bummed out about the car and engine this year. Ferrari would be the best bet.

Ferrari are demented if they keep Kimi. His Monaco weekend aside, he hasn't even looked like doing anything in the 4 years since he came back to them. I can't see Seb leaving them

Sainz will either get the call up to Red Bull, but if Red Bull stays the same I can't see him staying in the Red Bull fold.

Who will go to Williams? Possibly Perez. He would be in a good space to lead that team.

Bottas will most likely stay for another year at Merc.

The second Renault seat will be quite interesting. Who will be tempted into that? Alonso, Ocon, Sainz?

Who would want to jump into the frying pan that is McLaren if Alonso goes?

It could be quite a doozy this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be too shocked if the current grid stays basically the same. I can see Alonso heading off to Renault. Someone who just isn't it filling his seat at McLaren. Whoever got cash going to Sauber and the rest basically staying put.

Bottas will be good enough to justify one more year. Ferrari prefers happy Vettel over a angry Vettel so no strong teammate for him so Kimi can stay. Verstappen and Ricciardo have no better option (and it might be wise to stay)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hulkenberg to Ferrari, Alonso to Red Bull

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Perhaps in an alternative universe. :roll:

I agree with micha and wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes at the top teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id/19 ... tner-honda

Would it work that McLaren use a Mercedes engine for 2018 (possibly the 2017 engine), let Honda go away and completely rebuild for a year and then resume with Honda for 2019 onwards?

After all they would be instantly more competitive with a year old engine than another crap box of a Honda designed during a race season. A full year away from a racing season might be all the difference Honda needs. A 2017 spec Mercedes engine might be the only way they could get one for just a year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id/19570781/mclaren-reaching-fork-road-lost-partner-honda

Would it work that McLaren use a Mercedes engine for 2018 (possibly the 2017 engine), let Honda go away and completely rebuild for a year and then resume with Honda for 2019 onwards?

After all they would be instantly more competitive with a year old engine than another crap box of a Honda designed during a race season. A full year away from a racing season might be all the difference Honda needs. A 2017 spec Mercedes engine might be the only way they could get one for just a year.

Honda already has a deal with Sauber so they can't take a full year off anymore.

I really doubt it would make a difference. There is something structural wrong within the Honda team and that needs to be fixed.
Its still unbelievable that a company as Honda can fuck up so bad several years in a row. Yes Renault also keeps fucking up but is still close enough to the rest. Honda is just way off each time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess is time to quit the hybrid crap and put twin turbos for sheer power

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
webbsy wrote:
http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id/19570781/mclaren-reaching-fork-road-lost-partner-honda

Honda already has a deal with Sauber so they can't take a full year off anymore.

I really doubt it would make a difference. There is something structural wrong within the Honda team and that needs to be fixed.
Its still unbelievable that a company as Honda can fuck up so bad several years in a row. Yes Renault also keeps fucking up but is still close enough to the rest. Honda is just way off each time.

Oh shit I totally gapped that! Well forget that then lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:06 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Sorry, just trying to lighten it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Liberty have uploaded footage of the Monaco drivers meeting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so about the 25 races per season, they are going for the traditional tracks or look for new tilkedromes in unusual places?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

LucasWheldon wrote:
so about the 25 races per season, they are going for the traditional tracks or look for new tilkedromes in unusual places?

Considering the latest rumours surround the Algarve circuit in Portugal wanting a slot on the calender, I guess the answer to your question has to be....both? :p

I do like that Portugese track though, good tast.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Algarve is a great track for touring cars though, in the slow bends you can lean on the others to pass

I guess they'll make a street race in Las Vegas strip and another one in Times Square

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
Liberty have uploaded footage of the Monaco drivers meeting

Needs more Jean-Marie "The best decision is my decision" Balestre. Charlie will remove all kerbs as soon as Verstappen starts complaining.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 167 68 69 70 71141 Next