TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 155 56 57 58 59141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's a weird thing for him to be doing, actually. F1 is probably still out of the question unless he has magically regained dexterity in his hand, which - last time he spoke about it - wasn't happening.

That said, a whole day testing with a GP3 team isn't something you do because you fancy having a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Kubica was one of my favourite drivers before he had that awful accident, would be pretty cool to see him have another go at F1

Same. Kubica was shaping up to be one of the real stars, and F1 is worse for his absence.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, I really liked him too. F1 will probably never happen, but who knows if he can get an Indycar or Formula E seat at some point...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

gkmotorsport wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Kubica was one of my favourite drivers before he had that awful accident, would be pretty cool to see him have another go at F1

Same. Kubica was shaping up to be one of the real stars, and F1 is worse for his absence.

Totally agree with both of you. He was sympatic and seemed to be down to earth and calm outside the F1 car, but inside was a genuine speed demon, who one could never count out of podium fight. Let's hope he'll soon test an F1 car. Wasn't he doing some simulation testing for Ferrari some time ago?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I guess with the actual cars he can do only demonstration laps, downforce could be an issue with his arm

quite like what happened with Sandro Nannini, but not that extreme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Helmut Marko's annual 'Red Bull could quit' threat:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... after-2020

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I guess with the actual cars he can do only demonstration laps, downforce could be an issue with his arm

quite like what happened with Sandro Nannini, but not that extreme

From previous interviews the problem seems to be twofold:

1. Getting out of the car in the set time limit - he was just a bit too slow
2. Monaco. Specifically, the hairpin, which he said was impossible with the limits on his movement

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 pm 

Shaddix wrote:
Yeah, I really liked him too. F1 will probably never happen, but who knows if he can get an Indycar or Formula E seat at some point...

That wouldn't make sense at all as F1 is the smoothest car with the most gentle steering wheel of all cars(due to it's power steering and the handling of the cars)

Indycar's steering wheel is very tough as there is no power steering. FE is also a handful of a car. If Kubica could drive those cars(as apparently was able to do with a GP3), then F1 should be a piece of cake.

To me this news screams like : "Hey, look, I'm ready for F1 again".

Back in 2010 I thought only Alonso to maybe be a better driver than Kubica. With that said, I'm sure Kubica could do a better job than Palmer(sorry to his fans) even one-handed :p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

he could use the injured hand to cover the f-duct to go faster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Shaddix wrote:

That wouldn't make sense at all as F1 is the smoothest car with the most gentle steering wheel of all cars(due to it's power steering and the handling of the cars)

Indycar's steering wheel is very tough as there is no power steering. FE is also a handful of a car. If Kubica could drive those cars(as apparently was able to do with a GP3), then F1 should be a piece of cake.

To me this news screams like : "Hey, look, I'm ready for F1 again".

Back in 2010 I thought only Alonso to maybe be a better driver than Kubica. With that said, I'm sure Kubica could do a better job than Palmer(sorry to his fans) even one-handed :p

He has explained many times that the problem is not so much strength as dexterity and the range of movement possible in such a confined space.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:37 am 

gkmotorsport wrote:
He has explained many times that the problem is not so much strength as dexterity and the range of movement possible in such a confined space.

Yes, he had. But I'm assuming something must have changed because, back when he was making those claims, he was categorically ruling out running on formula cars and etc

He was already supposed to be driving a LMP1 car(even if one that is actually on the pace of a LMP2) but turned that down for whatever reason.

If he still has problems with the agility and dexterity of his injured hand, then why would he test a GP3 car? The italian track he tested is, apparently, very tight and demanding for a guy in his state. WEC's calendar also has some very tight corners on tracks like China, Fuji, Bahrain.

Idk, I just smell something with this news...... Not that I expect him to be back at F1 but it surely looks to me as if he's aiming at that, atm(maybe that's why he left ByKolles, afterall didn't he know already that they were a crap team?!).

On another news, Red Bull is planning to bring a massively revamped car to Barcelona and Renault has a planned engine upgrade for Canada. Milton Keynes squad could bounce back sooner than most think

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Palmer(sorry to his fans)

I think you're safe here buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Chase Carey wants a German Grand Prix. If it wasn't at Hockenheim or Nurburgring, where else might suit? http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36263.html

The ones that stand out in my mind would be Lausitzring, Oschersleben or Sachsenring. Wild card Norisring haha that'd be messy...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 pm 

So the Honda drove 70-80 laps trouble free ( 8O ) on day 2 of testing. Neither McLaren nor Honda has any idea how they managed that...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jan Larsen wrote:
So the Honda drove 70-80 laps trouble free ( 8O ) on day 2 of testing. Neither McLaren nor Honda has any idea how they managed that...

That last part almost makes it worse than if they would have had a breakdown every 10 laps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

IceMan wrote:
Chase Carey wants a German Grand Prix. If it wasn't at Hockenheim or Nurburgring, where else might suit? http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36263.html

The ones that stand out in my mind would be Lausitzring, Oschersleben or Sachsenring. Wild card Norisring haha that'd be messy...

Oschersleben would need to be upgraded and I think it's too short actually. The lap time would be ridiculous.

Lauitzing, eh... Oval/road course mess has little interest (to me anyway.)

Sachsenring would be fine but I think it's also probably too short (lap time wise) plus I like that track and I don't want to see F1 butcher it.)

I can't see Germany building another track just for F1 when they have to perfectly good ones in the Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Though I'd rather they ran the Nurburgring of the two.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They should run the Nordschleife with no changes, sort the men from the boys. #willneverhappen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IceMan wrote:

run a race at that airport track that they use for f-E at berlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

IceMan wrote:
They should run the Nordschleife with no changes, sort the men from the boys. #willneverhappen

Was thinking about that actually. The logistics of providing safety vehicles, medical helicopters, TV cameras, etc. would be enormous. How do they do it when the run the VLM cars? I mean, like how many rapid response medical assets do they have around the track? More than one medical helicopter location? There's places out there they can't land a helicopter. How many TV cameras and operators would you need to provide the proper coverage for F1?

I know it'll never happen but if it did I'm booking a trip to Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 pm 

The tracks bumpiness alone would rip the car in two.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 155 56 57 58 59141 Next