TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1116 117 118 119 120141 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
he said years ago he fancied trying rallycross, but I guess nobody invited him

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So after Austin Hartley might stay in the car and Gasly taking over from Kvyat again.
So thats another win for Verstappen in Mexico. Kvyat out of F1 and Verstappen WDC in 2018 :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Imagine being on an oval against Tony Kanaan, can you really blame him for thinking that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Always makes me chuckle when someone says they won't do something because 'people die doing that' but are quiet happy to do something else that had statically an almost identical fatality rate for the same period, just because a person died six months after an accident doesn't cancel it out.

This is usually a fair point, but in Button's case he did lose two of his childhood friends in the space of 4 years in the same series. I think it's pretty much the only thing he has ruled out for fear reasons. At least he's honest about his reasons; not all drivers would be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Implying that any F1 driver is a pussy (even Grosjean) is pretty silly really, but especially someone with a reputation for going faster than anyone else in the rain like Button. Different drivers have fear for different things; some of them would probably say you'll never get them in a closed cockpit racecar. I'd say fear of constantly going 300kph with wall and catchfence inches to your right is a pretty rational fear.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:43 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jenson should then correct himself and say that racing Indy Car on ovals is what scares him (I know that we all know that that is what he means) as opposed to Indy Cars scares him. And in regards to loosing 2 of his mates...so did the guys racing Indy Cars, but how many of them called it quits or left the series because of it?

You know, I kinda actually blame Jenson and Nico Rosberg for helping accelerate the Halo in F1 for basically publicly forcing the FIA to act on it as soon as they did, before the FIA actually locked it down. The Halo was always going to come in, but Jenson and Nico's public statements about the need for it I feel, forced the FIA into a position where they had to act, and as a result have forced through a design and system that isn't the optimal solution and still has many questions surrounding it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Jenson should then correct himself and say that racing Indy Car on ovals is what scares him (I know that we all know that that is what he means) as opposed to Indy Cars scares him. And in regards to loosing 2 of his mates...so did the guys racing Indy Cars, but how many of them called it quits or left the series because of it?

Why does he need to correct himself? It was pretty clear what he meant. I think you're the first person I've read questioning which aspect of IndyCar scares him. There's a fairly big difference between quitting a series and choosing not to join it...

webbsy wrote:
You know, I kinda actually blame Jenson and Nico Rosberg for helping accelerate the Halo in F1 for basically publicly forcing the FIA to act on it as soon as they did, before the FIA actually locked it down. The Halo was always going to come in, but Jenson and Nico's public statements about the need for it I feel, forced the FIA into a position where they had to act, and as a result have forced through a design and system that isn't the optimal solution and still has many questions surrounding it.

So Halo was always going to come in, but Jenson and Nico forced the FIA to make it happen? It was inevitable, but a driver who is apparently some kind of coward suddenly became powerful enough that the FIA had to listen to him against its own wishes (which apparently were the same anyway)? None of this makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It was the fact that both he and Nico publicly came out and were the most vocal in continuously calling for it , essentially forcing the FIA's hand. How inept and stupid would the FIA have looked if didn't try do something quickly when you had 2 of the sports biggest stars continuously publicly saying that F1 HAD to have it for safety reasons and then citing deaths of other drivers?

I am saying that i feel their public shaming of the FIA accelerated the implementation of it (a compulsory safety feature which still isn't set in stone by the way) before it was ready and better solutions were available. Hence we wouldn't have had the very public trial runs of Red Bulls Aero shield last year or Ferrari's shield this year and the FIA saying that maybe it might be a different system in 2019. In short, the system and idea isn't ready and the FIA not wanting to look like idiots or be sued have pushed it through.

I know that it wasn't solely down to Nico and Jenson, but they sure have contributed.

Actually I think its more of these "artists" interpretations of modern F1 that gave the FIA a lot of their ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nobody said he was a pussy, what we said was, given the safety records of the two series, it was ironic he was using that to justify not racing in one, while happily racing in the other which had the same fatality count over the same period.

Maybe if he'd said, 'Ovals isn't my cup of tea' and didn't bother specifically citing the fatality record of said series, then we wouldn't have said what we said.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As for the halo, that was all on the FIA. The drivers comments didn't sway it other then perhaps the farce with the shield that was dropped after one lap because Vettel was 'dizzy'. The FIA backed themselves into a corner in regards to deciding they had to have some kind of head protection for '18 and went with the easy option.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In some weird video on Facebook, McLaren seem to have announced that Alonso will stay with them in 2018.

Edit: now confirmed on Autosport and other sites.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gaara wrote:
As for the halo, that was all on the FIA. The drivers comments didn't sway it other then perhaps the farce with the shield that was dropped after one lap because Vettel was 'dizzy'. The FIA backed themselves into a corner in regards to deciding they had to have some kind of head protection for '18 and went with the easy option.

Vettel felt "dizzy". Ferrari was the only team voting for the halo. Coincidence?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Ferrari was the only team voting for the halo. Coincidence?

No. Because that's incorrect. As has been stated multiple times, the halo was a concept suggested and promoted by Mercedes. Ferrari had nothing to do with it's development or adoption. They merely tested it on behalf of the FIA a couple of times. The aeroscreen was a Red Bull concept.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the halo was approved a bit before they came with the shield

something like "the cars can look a lot better with shield but it won't be safe enough, so we're going with this one"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:27 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

kals wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

No. Because that's incorrect. As has been stated multiple times, the halo was a concept suggested and promoted by Mercedes. Ferrari had nothing to do with it's development or adoption. They merely tested it on behalf of the FIA a couple of times. The aeroscreen was a Red Bull concept.

No, you got it all wrong. Teams voted against halo for 2018, except Ferrari.

https://www.thisisf1.com/2017/07/21/mercedes-red-bull-slam-2018-f1-halo-decision/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
kals wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

No, you got it all wrong. Teams voted against halo for 2018, except Ferrari.

https://www.thisisf1.com/2017/07/21/mercedes-red-bull-slam-2018-f1-halo-decision/

I see what you mean. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Zak Brown has said Alonso could do Daytona this year if he ends up with a spare seat in his cars. They are also still looking at Le Mans for him.

Gotta say, I'm really impressed with Brown's "Sure, give it a go" attitude towards other series.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SiriusXM Radio becomes official radio broadcaster for Formula 1 in the United States
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/145141-f1- ... -agreement

-

as far as Halo vs. Aeroscreen goes

Anyone else think that Ferrari tried to rush their version to have "flaws" so they could have the Halo instead?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I honestly think Ferrari knew that the Halo was the way to go, way before other teams. And probably they have been working the 2018 car with that in mind, a lot earlier than the rest.

I just don't think of any other reason for a team to highly support a certain device, even when the rest of the grid has been pretty outspoken about how they hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Indycar are about to *start* testing a windscreen device with the aim of implementing it for next season.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/ ... ion-device

Imagine what F1 could have done with its 3-month head start.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1116 117 118 119 120141 Next