TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 169 70 71 72 73141 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why do think McLaren is pushing for Mercedes engines. If they score those Alonso might stay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
or not, judging by his luck :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... been-taken

Sky sports now also reporting McLaren and Honda are to split. I think there is at least some truth in the rumor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:48 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I can see Alonso signing a one-year deal if McLaren gets supplied by Mercedes, since he probably hasn't got any other option which can guarantee at least some short-term success.

But I'm quite interested in how McLaren will sort this out financially. Regarding the costs you've got Alonso's salary and the payment for Mercedes-engines, whilst they'll lose Honda's huge financial backing and whilst they still don't have any major sponsors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:28 pm 

Unless Fernando is prepared to take a massive salary cut in order to get a reasonably competitive drive?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If he's willing to take a paycut and McLaren sticks with Honda he should go to Force India. While I cannot see them fight for the win each weekend I can see him bring that little bit extra to get regular podiums and score a win if everything falls into place (or Spain 2016 situations).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What if Sauber flies next year with the Honda in its back, and McLaren have to admit that maybe their chassis wasn't that great after all, and several factors in its design caused the Hondas to be more vulnerable for flaws?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

now that Ron Dennis is gone, they can make an effort to get do like IndyCar teams do, using sponsors for one race only

what they did in Indy also could give more visibility to F1 in US, maybe picking more sponsor from there

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
What if Sauber flies next year with the Honda in its back, and McLaren have to admit that maybe their chassis wasn't that great after all, and several factors in its design caused the Hondas to be more vulnerable for flaws?

Would Honda take all the bashing like a little bitch if that was the case? If sauber flies next year it's because they finally fixed their own issues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Partypooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:

I think you've more chance of being struck by lightning whilst sat on your toilet than Sauber have of being competitive with this years Honda engine.

However, it would be sweet irony if Honda were to completely redesign their engine for next year, or perhaps revert to their rumoured big but working mk1 engine, and it actually last a race distance...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they should pick one of those 1.6 VTEC engines, put a huge Garret turbocharger and set boost at 4 bar and screw those hybrid crap

fuel mileage will be poor but it'll reach 18000rpm and pole positions all the way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just hope they can turn their luck around.

And for F1 to switch back to a more traditional engine formula soon, instead of that nonsense bullshit they have now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

webbsy wrote:
Alright I am starting to really crack the shits at Pirelli now. I have been defending them the whole time they have been in F1 but these tyres are an absolute joke. The softest tyre in the range can last more than half a race distance? Apart from changing tyre pressures they haven't developed these tyres at all.

Oh we don't have testing so can't experiment with the tyres...Bullshit. The reams and reams of data they have they can know what they can do. If they can't then they are incompetent. I've just had enough of them now.

Are you KIDDING?

You know the reason why they made rock hard tyres this year (and the racing quality decreased at a result!) is that fans cracked the shits at them for making tyres that degraded too quickly?
They were asked to make tyres that degraded to improve the show by FOM, they did that, fans bitched, drivers threw them under the bus, negative publicity, teams tried illegal tricks to fix it resulting in Silverstone 2013, they backed off a bit but still made degrading tyres, more driver and fan bitching, Pirelli said "ok, enough of all the negative publicity, you finally get what you want: harder tyres that the drivers can push on"

Races suddenly decrease in quality, fans bitch again.

They really can't win, I have no idea what they get out of the sport when they're met with just wall to wall negativity, and yet every time they're delivering perfectly what they've been asked to do by the powers that be.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm surprised Pirelli haven't already quit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
webbsy wrote:
Alright I am starting to really crack the shits at Pirelli now. I have been defending them the whole time they have been in F1 but these tyres are an absolute joke. The softest tyre in the range can last more than half a race distance? Apart from changing tyre pressures they haven't developed these tyres at all.

Oh we don't have testing so can't experiment with the tyres...Bullshit. The reams and reams of data they have they can know what they can do. If they can't then they are incompetent. I've just had enough of them now.

Are you KIDDING?

You know the reason why they made rock hard tyres this year (and the racing quality decreased at a result!) is that fans cracked the shits at them for making tyres that degraded too quickly?
They were asked to make tyres that degraded to improve the show by FOM, they did that, fans bitched, drivers threw them under the bus, negative publicity, teams tried illegal tricks to fix it resulting in Silverstone 2013, they backed off a bit but still made degrading tyres, more driver and fan bitching, Pirelli said "ok, enough of all the negative publicity, you finally get what you want: harder tyres that the drivers can push on"

Races suddenly decrease in quality, fans bitch again.

They really can't win, I have no idea what they get out of the sport when they're met with just wall to wall negativity, and yet every time they're delivering perfectly what they've been asked to do by the powers that be.

I know that, that's why I said I have been defending them until now. But their effort and apparent lack of any semblance of in season development this year has been pathetic and been my last straw with defending them.

I actually liked the degrading tyres (well not quite to the extreme that the early ones did. The early 2013 spec were good). This years tyres are as hard as they are because they basically said they were playing it cautious because of a lack of data. Well guess what, they now have mountains and mountains of data. So develop and change the compounds for the second half of the season. But they aren't/wont.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We need someone to challenge them. That's what they want as well. Hopefully the new owners agree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:42 pm 
Eddie Jordan

F1 was better with a tyre war, IMO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I hated the tyre war, was horrible seeing a team struggling because of something out of their control

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I think it was good for the sport, each tyre manufacturer had it's own strengths/weaknesses
(Michelin faster but took time to get heat into the tyres and went through an odd graining period that livened up races)

Wet races in particular brought that to the fore, some amazing races were generated because there were different windows of competittiveness between Michelin and Bridgestone.
Brazil 2003 being one, as the Ferarris were overtaken early on, then Rubens came back when his tyres came in leading to quite a lot of passing.

What the FIA are forcing Pirelli to do with the different tyre specs now is basically trying to ape the differences in performance brought by a tyre war.
Bridgestone didn't want to play that game, but Pirelli do.

The only thing the FIA would have to regulate is equal dispensation of teams between each different tyre manufacturer to prevent them making a tyre for 1 team and telling the rest of them to put up with it.
One of the main reasons the Ferrari was so dominant was the exclusive relationship they had with Bridgestone and it's no wonder Williams and Mclaren saw they weren't getting that treatment so jumped to Michelin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 169 70 71 72 73141 Next