TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 615 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pretty sure this overtaking thing was a myth invented by a well-meaning but optimistic media. I'm also pretty sure this comes up every year on here :roll:

Autosport.com, 24th Jan 2007:
Autosport wrote:
The Barcelona circuit will have a new chicane when Formula One cars begin testing at the Spanish circuit today after the revamp works were completed this week.

The new chicane, built between the Europcar and New Holland corners, has being installed to improve safety at the circuit, with speeds now reduced ahead of the final corner that leads into the main straight.

The revised layout begins at the Europcar corner, where the braking point has been moved forward thanks to a tighter corner.

That is followed by a short straight and two more corners linked to the previous layout.

Run-off areas at the new chicane are asphalted and incorporate a new safety barriers system which can absorb impacts of up to 200km/h.

Also, safety revisions at the Wurth corner have been completed, with the run-off area now increased by six meters.

Autosport, 29th Jan 2007
Autosport wrote:
David Coulthard believes Circuit de Catalunya officials have wasted the opportunity they had to revise the final sequence of corners at the track with their construction of the new chicane.

The Barcelona circuit now features a left-right flick ahead of the final corner after moves were made to improve safety at the final two high-speed corners.

But despite the changes being made to minimise the chances of an impact with the barriers, Coulthard has said he is 'disappointed' with the manner of the improvements - especially because drivers were not consulted on the changes beforehand.

"The changes may improve overtaking into Turn One, but they are disappointing," he said.

"There were two great corners where understandably the speed had to be reduced because of FIA requirements for run-offs. But I don't know any driver who knew about the changes, and I don't know anyone who looks at this and thinks: 'wow, what a really nice solution."

Coulthard's teammate Mark Webber, who ran at the track on Friday during the first test for the new RB3 chassis, was equally unimpressed – despite the safety motivation.

"The drivers didn't see anything of it until basically the trucks were turning up at the track," he said. "And the design was done.

"It is always a balance though. The last few corners were very quick, brilliant if everything was staying on the car, but if you have a failure then you are going in hard. It is a big shunt.

"I thought it was also done a bit for the motorbikes, but from what I have been told they are going to use the old track. The first (revised) corner is not bad, but the chicane is a deliberate speed smasher."

When asked whether he believed it would help overtaking, Webber said: "No. Turn One is not that wide anyway. I don't think it will help overtaking. It is not like a hairpin off the last corner, we are still in fifth through the last corner."

F1 Fanatic, 23rd Jan 2007:
F1 Fanatic wrote:
This is the official diagram showing the changes made to the Barcelona circuit, home of the Spanish Grand Prix, for the 2007 race.

The penultimate bend, Europcar, has been tightened to allow for the insertion of a chicane on the approach to New Holland.

As mentioned earlier on F1Fanatic the changes have been made to improve safety and effectively neuter two of the fastest corners on the Circuit de Catalunya.

But they also improve the likelihood that aerodynamically-sensitive F1 car will be able to follow each other more closely onto the long straight and potentially make overtaking easier.

Are the potential gains in safety and overtaking worth compromising two fast corners? It will be interesting to see if this year’s race is better than most of the processions we’ve gotten used to seeing in Spain.

Crash.net, some time in January 2007:
Quote:
Honda and Red Bull weren't the only ones unveiling new creations at the Circuit de Catalunya this week, as their host also took the wraps off something for 2007.

Barcelona's new chicane, located between the Europcar and New Holland corners at the end of the lap, has been completed in time for the next round of winter testing, and will be graced by Formula One when it officially opens for action on Wednesday. The new section has been created to reduce speeds through the final corner and onto the main straight, but affects the Europcar corner, where the braking point has been brought forward for what is now a tighter turn, before a short straight and left-right combination returns the cars to the original layout.

In addition to changes to the track, run-off areas at the circuit have been paved and, in the case of the Wurth corner, enlarged, while the circuit will feature the latest in safety barriers - the F1 TecPro system developed by the FIA Institute and DEKRA - when the layout is pressed into action. The system is capable of absorbing the energy of a 200kph impact whilst keeping the g-forces to tolerable levels.

Seriously, that bit in bold is about the only mention of overtaking that I can find, and coincidentally on the only post that reads like anything other than a factual news post. It really just seems like a product of wishful thinking at a time when F1 wasn't at its best, action-wise.

Oh, and the gravel *was* still on the outside of the older layout in 2007, at least for MotoGP. No idea when they removed it.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:27 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

This chicane really is a nuisance, but I think merely changing the kerbs would help it greatly. Get rid of the hideous sausage and put in the same kerbs like there were in the Monza chicanes, maybe the high ones in the second chicane. And boom, you have a variety of possible lines, plus you get differences in the cars. Some cars are great over kerbs, others not so much. With these sausages (like they ruined Monza) you only have one possible line.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't remember it ever being a safety issue. The only recent accident I could think of was this one (from 25 seconds), and the run off looks reasonable. I know that F1 cars would be going considerably quicker at that point, but I still think they'd scrub off a lot of speed before getting to that barrier.

The chicane is terrible. Surely it could have been possible to keep a high speed corner, but bring it inside the circuit more to improve run off, or leave it the same and extend the run off?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

As for the safety concerns, I believe the cars are so safe nowadays, that you don't need anymore to destroy tracks in order to improve safety like in the past, but anyway, this discussion won't lead anywhere (unfortunatelly), that chicane will remain there until FIA understands that they are going completely wrong in their management and it will also not happen until Todt is out! Good thing we still have other tracks with nice corners to give us and the drivers, the real emotion of racing!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

There were complaints in the 2000s that the final corner did nothing to allow the cars to follow each other closely for overtaking on the main straight, which was true, they were throwing up so much dirty air that it was understeer city and they'd fall back too far for the slipstream on the straight to compensate.

But adding a chicane to combat that is like heading to hospital with an ingrowing toenail and having your foot chopped off to make it better.

O/T. I Miss Formula BMW, that series was everywhere at one point (even had world finals live on TV like the FFord Festival) and now just as quickly as it arrived, it vanished again
That's manufacturer interest for you....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:29 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yep, it was designed for bikes and it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Motorland Aragon is a much better track :)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Why are we focusing on the last 3 corners?

The whole track sucks.

It's a track that honestly, would be 100% improved if it was Tilke-fied

Oh dear Lord no!!! Don't say such heresy.

All we need is tyre wear.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 am 
Eddie Jordan

F1 needs to go back to Jerez, IMO

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To add challenge, they should run Barcelona reversed. Turn 16 & 9 and 3 would be quite epic :p

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:27 am 
Eddie Jordan

Bottas with problems

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Ferrari are failing again.

Engine change for Vettel.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vettel has a major issue, having to change everything in the engine and facing a race to be ready for quali.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vettel still having issues

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:04 pm 

RIP Ferrari

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grosjean spins at the shitty chicane

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vettel just set a time

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Are you sure?"

Might be the most important words Vettel ever uttered.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Williams very shit today

Wehrlein doing fine

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vandoorne, Erickson, Palmer, Stroll and Kvyat out.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 615 Next