TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
You're spot on, Max Mosley himself said that TV was the real lever for safety, because nowadays, when a driver dies, he does so live, in the living room of hundreds of millions.

but shouldn't any contact sport be toned down as well following that logic? Seeing a leg dangling unnaturally or a foot pointing the wrong directing is, for me, more gross than watching a few marchals holding a sheet to block off the camera's.

They can try to make it kid friendly but in the end someone will find a way to crash in such way that he/she will not survive.
With the proposed solution I doubt would have helped Massa, de Vitola or Bianchi much. The spring could slip tru the device. In de Vitola's case it might have taken enough force out of the crash before the lid hit her but in Bianchi's case there seem to be so much force (it lifted a heavy machinery high up in the air) the device probably would cause more problems as it would have collapsed on him and hindered the extraction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

JJ wrote:
Someone in the Autosport forum put it nicely:
Quote:
To me many of the safety features we have nowadays take away the thrill of driving a racing car. You get your adrenalin so much more pumping driving a car on the limit on the Nordschleife than on a track with a lot of tarmac run-off for example. Driving a racecar on its self isn't that exciting, it's the fact that you know you're going to have a very big problem if you make a mistake that makes it exciting.

At this point some of you are going to point out that you could get hit by debris without making a mistake yourself, I know, but to me having a closed cockpit does take away a lot of the thrill driving a single-seater.

The same applies for skydiving for example, you can go indoor-skydiving where you go into a big windtunnel where you are completely secure with all the safety-nets. Is it fun? Sure, but it's isn't remotely as exciting as jumping out of an airplane where you know you are going to die if your parachute doesn't open, which is exactly the reason why a lot of people still prefer to do the real thing and risk their lives jumping out of an airplane, that's the thrill!
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19907 ... try7421406

It's no surprise that among alpine skiing downhill is the most popular format. It's no surprise that so many are into extreme sports (including motorsport). But it's surprising that FIA doesn't seem to realize this. Their intentions to increase safety are well understood, but if they forget the idea of why motorsport exists altogether, they are damaging the whole essence of the sport.

Amen :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer612008 wrote:
uh Kurt?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KurtBusch/status/691825924766056448[/tweet]

Interesting, could it really be the 2016 car?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Car looks fine if real but if that livery is real they go from "YAY!!!!!" to "NO!!" faster than a nerd will come during his first sexual encounter.

They pretty much promised to NOT use boring colors like everyone is doing atm and the car in that picture is exactly whay everyone is doing.

I'd go as far as revoking their license on the spot if they present those colors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
micha wrote:
but shouldn't any contact sport be toned down as well following that logic? Seeing a leg dangling unnaturally or a foot pointing the wrong directing is, for me, more gross than watching a few marchals holding a sheet to block off the camera's.

They can try to make it kid friendly but in the end someone will find a way to crash in such way that he/she will not survive.
With the proposed solution I doubt would have helped Massa, de Vitola or Bianchi much. The spring could slip tru the device. In de Vitola's case it might have taken enough force out of the crash before the lid hit her but in Bianchi's case there seem to be so much force (it lifted a heavy machinery high up in the air) the device probably would cause more problems as it would have collapsed on him and hindered the extraction.

that kinda remember me when english football before premier league was something quite different from today, when people celebrate goals with dribbling and so. when Wimbledon won the FA Cup the crowd cheered more when a player kicked another rather than a good play

I still share the same opinion that Nelson Piquet said, some can race on the limit and win, some cannot and those who cannot provide crashes and fun, something that nowadays only happens in the wet, when they allow racing in the wet or when drivers don't complain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I can hardly make out the colours. Is it black, antraciet or marine blue? Either way, it sucks. No sponsors. They should run in mellow yellow colours. If they still exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula
, not sure if you wanted to add launch dates to the first post but Autosport have finally published something useful:

February 3:
Renault

February 17:
Red Bull (Livery)

February 21:
McLaren

February 22:
Haas F1
Manor
Red Bull (Car)
Sauber (Livery)

March 1:
Sauber (Car)

Last edited by gkmotorsport on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That livery looks like the 2014 Mclaren, quite dull.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
racer612008 wrote:
uh Kurt?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KurtBusch/status/691825924766056448[/tweet]

Interesting, could it really be the 2016 car?

Related:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow I had forgotten about that event, it was amazing to watch. The Button/Craig Lowndes swap at Bathurst is also a must see, as is the Jeff Gordon F1 stint around Indianapolis.

I love it when racers from different backgrounds get together and swap rides. That's when you realise that these guys are naturally gifted at racing stuff, and just happen to be in this or that championship for historical/geographical reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

one good driver that missed a shot in Grand Prix racing was one of the Unsers

Bobby, Al and Al jr. could had a good run in a good car back at that time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
one good driver that missed a shot in Grand Prix racing was one of the Unsers

Bobby, Al and Al jr. could had a good run in a good car back at that time

And what about Michael Andretti!

Oh, wait...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the guy didn't set a foot in Europe when there wasn't races

but I don't blame him, he wasn't used to driving aids and also a big gap between Williams and other cars, plus having to race alongside Ayrton Senna (who even supported him)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:30 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

As far as I read, Senna was hardly in Europe in 93 as well. Hardly a good example.

At least Mika got rewarded for his commitment to the team.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

From what I heard, Hass will run a different livery, but released that as a corporate rendering last week
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas- ... st-670057/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
As far as I read, Senna was hardly in Europe in 93 as well. Hardly a good example.

At least Mika got rewarded for his commitment to the team.

Senna was a known quantity and had built up trust from within the team. He was afforded the luxury of not needing to live in Europe. Andretti simply expected the same treatment as Senna without putting in the effort.

For example, when McLaren needed to organize a test session in 1993 they new Senna would be on an overnight flight to be in the car the next day. Either that or Hakkinen was a couple of hours away. With that and Andretti still living in PA why should / would McLaren choose him for a test over Hakkinen or Senna? And that's just travel and location while completely ignoring his struggles with adapting to the car and brakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've been reading an old book on McLaren by Alan Henry & a couple days ago I was reading the chapter about 1993 where he went into some detail about Michael Andretti & why it didn't work out.

He said there was a combination of reasons from him not moving to Europe, Not doing a great deal of testing, Michael been used to an Indycar that you needed to throw about a bit while an F1 car required more finesse which he struggled to get on top of & the electronics which changed the feel & the way you had to drive it which he also had a hard time figuring out.

One of the biggest factors he felt was that 1993 was the year that practice/qualifying got restricted running (They had unlimited laps in the sessions until that point much like they do today) which limited the amount of time he had to learn circuits which he had never seen before in a car that was vastly different to what he was used to.

The final thing he mentioned was something Michael's engineer had told him about Michael getting himself into trouble by not knowing the driving styles & personalities of those he was racing against so he was trying to pull off aggressive overtakes as he had done in Indycar but against drivers who were not going to give him the room to do what he would try to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:07 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

They were only allowed to do 23 laps combined in the 2x 45 minute sessions. If it takes roughly a dozen laps to learn a new track, then its easy to see why it was hard.
'
Limited practice laps was a stupid rule btw. I don't know what they were trying to achieve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bernie now seems to have decided that he agree's with the drivers "A million percent" that F1 should be about car & driver pushing flat out at all times & that he's going to tell Pirelli this at the next meeting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35423688

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Really? Even with 26 odd cars that a pretty low amount of run time. So basically an 11 run program in FP1 and a 12 run program in FP2. There's almost no way you can properly set the car up for a long run in the race with that few laps.

Wouldn't be surprised if an FIA exec sees that book and think's what a great idea, save costs! Surely the fans would like that....no?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20151 Next