TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
siggy wrote:
It's not like all Brazillians stopped watching f1 after May 1st 1994.

at least 70% of F1 audience at the time stopped watching because the "hero" perished on the track, only racing enthusiasts stayed and the figures decreased more and more but it was not related to safety, just boredom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

siggy wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
The 'all manor of open wheel racing going on most weekends' doesn't have a live TV audience running into the tens of millions, this isn't about safety, it's about them wanting to be seen to be doing something because they're scared to death of what will happen to their viewership figures should one of their hero's be decapitated on live TV....

So err, yeah, knee jerk reaction (although a bit of a slow one, since the movement had all but been forgotten until Wilson's accident).

It would increase, if anything. It's not like all Brazillians stopped watching f1 after May 1st 1994.

F1 Is safer then ever. Freak accidents will happen. No matter what you do. Thinking about the stepped nose shit, this 'development' will look ten times worse. To prevent maybe a freak death every 20 years. Maybe.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Put simply: F1 is too safe already. No more grass, no more gravel. High cockpit-walls that will be even higher this year and therefore creating new safety hazards when the view is reduced. Hans and everything. It has to be a freak accident to actually hurt a driver. Look at Kubica in Montreal or other massive shunts. They just walk away. But you'll never get rid of freak accidents by definition, no matter how safe you make it. However, you end up making the sport completely unattractive, predictable and boring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
well, shit.

It may only be for bikes

i assume it will only be for bikes, WSBK is supposed to return to Monza this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Fuck closed cockpits.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's also for 2017, by which time Monza might not be paying Bernie's paymasters enough to keep its place on the calendar anyway ... because F1. :flag:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just to add a remark: HANS is the best bloody invention in race cars ever.

It is ugly though, but it has prevented more injuries than any other innovation.
Maybe closed cockpits is the next HANS, but we will not know if it isn't tried out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You don't really notice HANS till they get out of the car anyway.

Closed cockpits is the same as seatbelts, rollcages/hoops and helmets in the past. I can see Paul of the past saying fuck all those as well :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sauber stuck enhanced cockpit protection on their cars two races after Wendlinger's accident at Monaco in 1994, and a near two full seasons ahead of the FIA mandate for introduction in 1996. They looked ugly and cumbersome, and drivers complained about the reduction in peripheral vision. But everyone got used to them. An introduction of a more advanced system which improves head protection isn't the end of the world like some are suggesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The two can't be compared, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, the renders of the Merc system were not too bad.

Irony does have a major habbit of biting people in the arse though, you know the old saying, solving one problem creates two more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I know exactly what you mean Kals, but to me the difference is that the side head impact at the time was actually an obvious concern and F1 and motor sport WERE lucky not to have had more incidents up till that era ( there were still quite a lot of nasty incidents of drivers banging the side of their head so that was a legitimate concern).

Where as objects entering the cockpit and hitting the drivers during and since that time is incredibly low. That is the main difference I am trying to state. Side impact was not uncommon, getting hit flush on the head is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:14 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting new career for Robert Doornbos! http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32954.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
not surprising coming from a driver that came from the red light

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh now I finally understand his nickname 'Bobby D'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:12 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

"shaped like a real doorknobs"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

After racing against Bourdais he should be used to handling big dicks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

kals wrote:
After racing against Bourdais he should be used to handling dildos.

FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:45 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

kals wrote:
Sauber stuck enhanced cockpit protection on their cars two races after Wendlinger's accident at Monaco in 1994, and a near two full seasons ahead of the FIA mandate for introduction in 1996. They looked ugly and cumbersome, and drivers complained about the reduction in peripheral vision. But everyone got used to them. An introduction of a more advanced system which improves head protection isn't the end of the world like some are suggesting.

Funny how Sauber used to care about their drivers. Now they don't care how many of them they screw over every season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

uh Kurt?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KurtBusch/status/691825924766056448[/tweet]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
The 'all manor of open wheel racing going on most weekends' doesn't have a live TV audience running into the tens of millions, this isn't about safety, it's about them wanting to be seen to be doing something because they're scared to death of what will happen to their viewership figures should one of their hero's be decapitated on live TV...

You're spot on, Max Mosley himself said that TV was the real lever for safety, because nowadays, when a driver dies, he does so live, in the living room of hundreds of millions.

But then, is the goal to aim for zero fatalities? I work in the offshore construction industry and the publicly announced goal is that while small injury rate has to remain below a certain target, fatalities are definitely unacceptable.

Should motor racing be held to the same standards? We all have different opinions of that but I believe it shouldn't. Death is a sibling of motorsport. It's ingrained into its very reason to exist. It should never come from gross negligence of course, but it should be accepted by all as an inevitability and not be fought against every day and in every little aspect.

Because ultimately, death risk adds something to how I enjoy the sport. When the Indy 500 starts, I have a deep respect for these 33 men because one of them almost certainly won't walk away unscathed. I enjoyed Suzuka 2014 pre-crash because during the Rosberg/Hamilton fight, the two were pushing hard in dangerous conditions, putting their lives on the line for the title. Bahrain fight was enjoyable, but lacked that added risk factor. It just looks bland to me compared to the above. I dare anyone here to say that the Vettel/Alonso move in Curva Grande would've been nearly as exciting if it were in Yas Marina with a white line and a mile run-off on the side instead of grass, a fence and trees.

A lot of that special excitement has disappeared in most the F1 as it is practiced nowadays, due to both circuits and cars safety. At some point, we need to know where to draw a line before sucking it all out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Someone in the Autosport forum put it nicely:
Quote:
To me many of the safety features we have nowadays take away the thrill of driving a racing car. You get your adrenalin so much more pumping driving a car on the limit on the Nordschleife than on a track with a lot of tarmac run-off for example. Driving a racecar on its self isn't that exciting, it's the fact that you know you're going to have a very big problem if you make a mistake that makes it exciting.

At this point some of you are going to point out that you could get hit by debris without making a mistake yourself, I know, but to me having a closed cockpit does take away a lot of the thrill driving a single-seater.

The same applies for skydiving for example, you can go indoor-skydiving where you go into a big windtunnel where you are completely secure with all the safety-nets. Is it fun? Sure, but it's isn't remotely as exciting as jumping out of an airplane where you know you are going to die if your parachute doesn't open, which is exactly the reason why a lot of people still prefer to do the real thing and risk their lives jumping out of an airplane, that's the thrill!
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19907 ... try7421406

It's no surprise that among alpine skiing downhill is the most popular format. It's no surprise that so many are into extreme sports (including motorsport). But it's surprising that FIA doesn't seem to realize this. Their intentions to increase safety are well understood, but if they forget the idea of why motorsport exists altogether, they are damaging the whole essence of the sport.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19151 Next