TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Lol I just like all forms of cars racing around in circles. I don't make distinctions of claiming that THIS IS THE PINNACLE AND THIS IS NOW SHIT. Yes, I personally probably like endurance racing more than F1, mainly because I grew up with that kind of racing more than I did with this.

Be that as it may, shit, it's still cars racing around in circles. Every series has cool stuff, but also eye-rolling stuff.
Some people might think WEC is now "better than F1", but it won't stay like that. They've now reached a sweet spot, just like F1 once had that as well.

Whatever happens: when it's on TV or there is a stream and I can watch, I watch.

EDIT: That's one more thing though. The goddamn ticket prices for F1 are ridiculous. I've been doubting every year to spend money to go to Spa again (last time was 10 years ago), but the value of 2 support races and 1 semi-long main race, stuck to a perimeter you pay a shitload for, without having the chance to freely walk around the track and stroll through the proper paddock... not worth it :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:05 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fabs wrote:

I probably shouldn't react to this but no one is calling himself an expert here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... masterplan

I can't read it but I hope he isn't stealing our brilliant ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/6556/gary-anderson-f1-masterplan

I can't read it but I hope he isn't stealing our brilliant ideas.

Here you go

Gary Anderson wrote:
I've been reading through the comments from drivers and team principals/owners on the current state of Formula 1 and, I must admit, they confuse me.

I don't believe any one of them actually has any idea of what the viewing public and spectators want.

Remember, F1 is just another sporting event. It's just like horse racing, golf, tennis, cycling or synchronised swimming - no more, no less.

The audience might be different, but there are plenty of people out there who just enjoy sport, and F1 needs them as much as it needs the true petrolhead.

Mercedes is romping it and Lewis Hamilton is going to win the drivers' championship, so it's hard to see there being a last-race climax in the title battle this year.

As nobody seems to be doing anything except expressing opinions, I thought I would offer my overview of the changes I'd implement. These address both the technical and sporting regulations, with the changes going hand-in-hand.

"It's far too dramatic!" I hear you shouting. I don't think so.

These ideas would need discussion and the i's dotted and t's crossed, and intense research is required in some areas to ensure the objectives are achieved. But if F1 doesn't start taking action, nothing will ever change.

TECHNICAL

1 Overall reduction in downforce of around 40 per cent, with the emphasis on a much simpler front-wing assembly. Drag level to be maintained as now.

Objective: allow cars to race closely without losing so much downforce and therefore grip. Reduce the aerodynamic development potential of the teams with the mega-budgets.

Example: on many occasions, faster cars have followed slower cars and not been able to overtake them until the stupid DRS zone. Racing should be like it was, with the top drivers planning overtaking moves laps in advance.

2 Increase front and rear tyre size - by 10 per cent at the front and 25 per cent at the rear -to replace the lost aerodynamic grip. This should largely be done in width, but a small increase in diameter would be acceptable.

Objective: close up the performance level from the big to small teams by getting the main contributor of grip from the back of the tyre supplier's truck, and allow the cars to race closely without grip being compromised.

The wider tyres will also keep the aerodynamic drag level similar to what we currently have. Also, the cars will look more aggressive.

Example: I think everyone agrees we want the racing to be on the track and flat-out, with no more driving five seconds off the pace to make the tyres survive.

3 Remove the 100kg/h fuel-flow limit, but keep the 100kg-per-race fuel limit.

Objective: to allow higher engine revs and turbo boost during qualifying and in the race for short spurts to help with overtaking. Everyone talks about 1000bhp engines - this will allow that to happen for limited periods, for example in qualifying, so the laptimes will be a lot faster.

Example: we currently have GP2 not far off the pace of F1. When a GP2 team is spending around two per cent of an F1 budget, that's embarrassing for F1 as a whole.

4 Maximum engine rpm increased, with a limiter set at 16,000.

Objective: to control runaway costs of engine development due to the potential of the increase in bhp from the removal of the fuel-flow meter.

5 Minimum upchange rpm of 15,000 when in third through to eighth gear.

Objective: bring back some of the noise that an F1 car should be making. It will never bring it all back, as the turbo that's harvesting energy will always work like a bit of a silencer, but it will help.

6 Assuming a 20-race calendar, which is where I think we are heading, change the power unit regulations to:

6.1 A complete power unit must do a minimum of four consecutive events (defined as Saturday morning through to the end of Sunday).

Penalty for switching engines early:

6.1.1 Introduced one race early, a five-second time penalty in the race.
6.1.2 Introduced two races early, a 10-second time penalty in the race.
6.1.3 Introduced three races early, a 15-second time penalty in the race.
6.1.4 Introduced four races early, (during first race weekend) a 20-second time penalty in the race.

6.2 The power unit used for Friday practice session(s) is free but must come from the season's total allocation.

6.3 A maximum of eight engines per driver for the season.

Penalty:

6.3.1 If a ninth engine has to be introduced, the driver will have to start from the pitlane and have a 30-second time penalty in the race.

Objective: to allow power unit manufacturers to develop the engines within a fixed lifespan. So abandon the upgrade tokens.

It will also allow drivers to start in their allocated grid positions (see sporting regulations).

7 Aerodynamic development regulations, again assuming a 20-race calendar.

7.1 The Aerodynamic Body Kits used in races 1, 6, 11 and 16 must do a minimum of five consecutive events (Saturday morning until Sunday night). The Aerodynamic Body Kit used for the Friday practice sessions is free.

7.1.1 The Body Kit comprises:

7.1.2 The complete front-wing assembly from the nose to chassis intersection forward.

7.1.3 The complete rear-wing assembly, which comprises the rear crash structure to the transmission intersection at the differential centre line.

7.1.4 The complete underfloor assembly from the leading edge of the front tyre to the trailing edge of the rear tyre, 70cm from the car's centre line and 25cm from the car's reference plane.

7.1.5 The areas defined to allow for the front and rear brake duct assemblies.

Each driver will be allowed one early Aerodynamic Body Kit change without penalty (introduced within the five consecutive race window(s), but must complete the season with a total of four Aerodynamic Body Kit changes otherwise the penalties defined below will be allocated.

Penalty:

7.2.1 Introduced one race early, a five-second time penalty in the race.
7.2.2 Introduced two races early, a 10-second time penalty in the race.
7.2.3 Introduced three races early, a 15-second time penalty in the race.
7.2.4 Introduced four races early, a 20-second time penalty in the race.
7.2.5 Introduced five races early, a 25-second time penalty in the race.

Objective: to reduce the spiralling costs associated with aerodynamic development. To reduce the costs of components that are not achieving what they were designed to achieve. To leave Friday open for testing whatever teams want before committing to full production. It also allows other teams and fans to have a sneak preview of future developments.

SPORTING REGULATIONS

These suggestions are more dramatic than the technical changes.

1 Spare cars to be allowed.

Objective: allow the drivers to be on the track. That's what the viewers and spectators want, so why penalise the paying public?

Example: Jenson Button in Canada not able to compete and Felipe Massa and Sebastian Vettel both limping in qualifying. Every team has a spare car with them - the only problem is that it's all in pieces. Should it be required, it takes time to assemble.

2 Reduce pitstop personnel to 11; two per wheel, one rear jack, one front jack and a control person.

Objective: make pitstops that little bit longer to allow the viewer or spectator to see what is actually going on.

Example: a two-second pitstop is fantastic, but a three-second stop that could be observed would be too.

3 Practice one, two and three to stay as they are.

4 Saturday qualifying to be replaced with a Sprint Race of a minimum of 150 kilometres (93 miles).

4.1 Driver's grid position to be set from the fastest-lap order from the previous race weekend's Feature Race. For the first weekend of the season, and to get fan involvement, the grid for the Sprint Race would be set by a fan vote.

Simply text or email FOM your nominated driver and the driver with most votes starts on pole and so on down the grid – it works for Britain's Got Talent so it should work for F1.

4.2 Drivers would still have to use both tyre compounds so a pitstop would be necessary.

4.3 Points allocation to be 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1

5 Sunday's race to be the Feature Race of a minimum of 250 kilometres (155 miles).

5.1 The grid would be set in championship order reversed – in other words the driver with most points starts at the back.

5.2 Drivers would still have to use both types of tyres so a pitstop would be necessary.

5.3 Points allocation to remain as it currently is: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

Now, everyone will say that's really stupid and ask why do that? Well, there are many reasons. Here are a few.

A) At the moment the fastest driver in the fastest car starts on pole position and normally goes on to win the race. Why should we expect anything exciting to happen when the cars start off arranged in pace order?

B) The races that I have seen where a quick driver has had to start from the rear and come through have always been exciting. The drivers involved have always enjoyed that extra challenge.

C) In the recent Canadian Grand Prix, it was around lap 34 when we first got a decent bit of TV coverage of the two Mercedes cars. Why? Because up front it was boring. The only thing that made the race interesting was Vettel, and to some extent Massa, who were both coming from the back.

D) For far too long we have had the really quick drivers in the quick cars winning the championships. These changes will add that extra dimension of how a driver can handle and overtake traffic.

E) Because the grid for the next race weekend's Sprint Race is set from the fastest lap order from the previous race weekend's Feature Race, it will mean that everyone will have to pull their fingers out – so no sandbagging saving tyres.

F) The shorter Feature Race takes out that 'nothing really happening' middle bit. We need to close it all up and keep it exciting.

These race-format changes seem radical, but they will force teams to produce cars that can run well in dirty air and allow the drivers to be attacking from lap one to the chequered flag.

Everyone keeps trying to create the F1 they want by changing every single technical rule, but if you create the conditions in which fast drivers must overtake a lot of cars to win every time, surprisingly enough the teams and their armies of engineers will work out how to do it.

By reversing the grid for the Feature Race, you will achieve that. And while it's radical to have a fan vote for the Sprint Race in the first weekend of the season, that will force the teams and drivers to work harder to engage with the millions of people who make F1 possible during the pre-season, when usually they are doing everything they can think of to hide the new cars and stop anyone getting near them.

If F1 can combine exciting races with exciting the fans, its future will be secure.

That's why these ideas aren't as mad as you might think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sooo, worldwide true F1 fans are calling F1 boring, experts are having a really good look, but when we at some silly forum complain that it is boring, we are nothing but a bunch of moaners? Now I'm looking at you Scotty for sarcasticly starting this topic, but also at others too who have nothing else to do but to complain at people complaining.

So now I'm complaining about people who complain that people are complaining.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
one thing that it must change as soon as possible is that godamm qualifying system

dunno why they changed the thing that worked (4 timed laps in 1 hour session or just 1 timed lap) to that shit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:56 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

lol, qlf is about the only thing i wouldn't change now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They had to change it to suit the ADHD generation. Traditional quali made them switch off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gary's ideas start off well, trying to get the cars to follow each other closely in the corners again. It starts to get crazy further down the list, though. Starting from the pit lane and having a 30 second time penalty if you use too many engines? Is a grid penalty not bad enough already?

Also, Sprint Races and grids set by reverse championship standings? Ok, it might be an amazing spectacle to see the slow cars starting at the front, but I don't think that's F1.

Fan votes to set the first grid? Lol. I don't doubt that a lot of his proposals would create a very entertaining series, but it would be so manipulated and staged, and that's what NASCAR is for.

I just want to see cars being able to race each other closely without any silly gimmicks. A competitive grid of at least 26 cars. 26 of the best drivers in the world in those cars, and on some of the most exciting, challenging circuits, in some of the most exciting and challenging cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:59 pm 

Gaara wrote:
They had to change it to suit the ADHD generation. Traditional quali made them switch off.

And it sucked because for 25 mins you didn't see a car except a Minardi.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Gaara wrote:

The old double hour long sessions used to be fascinating. Silverstone 1991's Saturday was one of the finest quali sessions I remember seeing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1 lap for each car was better

we could expect some randomness and good cars starting behind due to mistakes

and all the cars were shown on tv, equal sponsor exposure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Something not mentioned yet:
* Ban power steering
* Limit the changes driver can make during the lap from the cockpit (so they don't have optimal brake balance for every corner and so on)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:12 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Scotty, you're a motorsport engineer. What would you do to fix it? If you was to concede F1 was broken.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:54 pm 

german drivers and teams should be banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dannz wrote:
german drivers and teams should be banned

:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

one thing that worked right in the F1 and should happen more often in the german anthem followed by the italian one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:45 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I like Gary Anderson's rules. Just bring back the tobacco sponsorships and let the teams have as many cars as they want, pay everyone a more equal sum out from the TV-money and that's it. Oh, and gravel traps, more gravel traps.

Why tobacco money? Have you seen any other business with similar interest rate to step in? Like medicines, banks or coffee industry? Me neither and if tobacco companies wants to invest, just let them where ever it's legal to do so. We're all going to die anyway so what's the reason to have a super-safe motorsport and health concerns over publicity of products that are not recommended by anyone anymore? I don't smoke, by the way. Just want to have a more teams in F1 grid.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

get rid of the penalty's for using too many engines in 1 season, it's getting pretty ridiculous, can't wait for the end of the season where half of the damn grid will have to start from the pit lane because of using to many engines because their suppler is on a bad streak for this year.

I like Gary's rules though.

If it was me however:
Code:
allow the current engines to be used but up the rev limit to around 16 to 18 thousand RPM. Allow other types of engines (hybrid or not) and BOP those by weight.

Get rid of the fuel use per lap limit.

take away more downforce

bigger tires

Add some doubleheader rounds to the championship (1 race on Saturday, 1 race on Sunday) for some races, obviously keep these races at full length however (Albert Park, Sepang, Monaco, Montreal, Silverstone, Germany, Monza, Spa, Abu Dhabi, Interlagos)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Gaara wrote:

It got fucking ridiculous at Hockenheim once (the long circuit). Nobody set foot on track until 20 minutes before the end, not even the traditional track-cleaners.

It ended up being a clusterfuck. Trulli had a breakdown before the second chicane, farthest point of the track, and while he was panicking trying to hitch a motorcycle ride back to the pits to take the spare car, I was cheering in front of the TV, hoping he would score a DNQ and learn his lesson.

Today's system is great, you have people all the time on track, and many top guys will occasionally get trapped in the bottom due to issues, which makes for exciting races through the field - cf. Vettel and Massa at Canada.