TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1729 730 731 732 7331060 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:54 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Will anyone else get the sponsorship and will dat livery continue in the sport though, is the question?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:24 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I wonder if Chase Elliott moving up next year had any influence on his decision to retire. Shame, while I would never claim to be a fan of his, he's gotten considerably more likeable in his later years, and I will be sad to see him leave. I was really hoping to see him get 100 wins just because it would be such a significant accomplishment in this era of NASCAR.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's a shame everyone's either greed for more paychecks or desire to be behind the wheel, even if it means running last, gets in the way of a good retirement tour. Go out like Richard Petty, have a fan appreciation tour, then don't get in another race again. No Xfinity races, no truck races, just be done with it. It's hard to have a proper send off, like they should deserve, then Jeff runs the 2018 Daytona 500.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's interesting - I used to feel that way, but with him potentially coming back for a race or two down the road, I'll be thankful for those races he's in. I'll still watch after he retires, but those races he might be back for will be extra fun to look forward to.

I'm just happy he's going out on top. There was no puttering around the back of the pack for years before retiring, kinda like what happened with DW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

To be fair to him, just like Mark Martin, Terry Labonte, Bobby… It's racing, it's in their blood, they want to be behind the wheel. It's not something you can just give up forever right then and there.

I'd love to see him in the truck series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:07 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

A part time driver with a part time car will get part time attention. Can't wait to get excited about the U.S. Crome-mobile running -4L.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:10 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

codename_47 wrote:
Will anyone else get the sponsorship and will dat livery continue in the sport though, is the question?

The winner at Homestead gets the Dinoco sponsorship for 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
SB83 wrote:
Jeff's not retiring till he gets that fifth championship. He's still as good as anyone out there and I don't see him going anywhere in the next 3 years.

In between his family, his back and the fact NASCAR is seemingly engineered to not reward him another championship no matter how good he is, I can see him retiring soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

44 Terry Labonte 2.0 in Jeff's future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gaara wrote:
And with it any last lingering care I had for NASCAR

That's about how I feel tbh.

I've been preparing for a while now. A guy can only get fucked out of a championship so many times before they call it a day I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's not an official record by any means (although thanks to the Interwebs, it was tabulated anyway), but scoring the most points in 7 seasons is *something*. It's not much, but hey, just seeing that number and how that was one of the records he was looking to eclipse when he started winning everything under the sun, it's an interesting foot-note. It's the third most successful career in the sport (I guess, titles and overwhelming popularity notwithstanding), and the most dominant of the modern era. I'm satisfied with that.

That being said, of all the crazy\awesome things that has happened in my years of pulling for the guy, it's hard to pinpoint just one of them to choose as my favorite memory.

Gotta go with the '97 Southern 500 and Winston Million win, though... that was epic.

Last edited by Andre on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I don't think the 2004 championship would have been Jeff's without the Chase. Jimmie had a massive point lead by Pocono in August then did some things prior to the start of the Chase, losing points that weren't important anyway, thanks to the reset.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
SB83 wrote:
Jeff's not retiring till he gets that fifth championship. He's still as good as anyone out there and I don't see him going anywhere in the next 3 years.

In between his family, his back and the fact NASCAR is seemingly engineered to not reward him another championship no matter how good he is, I can see him retiring soon.

Family and the bad back are valid reasons but it's highly disrespectful to your driver to blame the system for his lack of a 5th championship, don't you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:25 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

joha107 wrote:
I wonder if Chase Elliott moving up next year had any influence on his decision to retire. Shame, while I would never claim to be a fan of his, he's gotten considerably more likeable in his later years, and I will be sad to see him leave. I was really hoping to see him get 100 wins just because it would be such a significant accomplishment in this era of NASCAR.

I suspected this too. There was a small window of opportunity for Chase to get in to cup, and I doubt they wanted to have it shut on them like it did on Brad K.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You can not apply this driver would have won if they didn't have the Chase. Everyone would have raced completely different.... Likely Driver Y would have won X year? Maybe... even most likely, but you can't say for sure they would have won with 100% certainty. Driver Y accumulated the most points in that season without the Chase but they raced under the influence of the Chase. Look how often the 48 knew they were in the Chase and the final 3 or 4 races of the regular season, they'd be all over the place. Probably because they knew it was test mode for the Chase. Then bam, Jimmie wins 4-5 Chase races with 8 or 9 top 10's. I don't understand how people don't grasp this. Many drivers/team members have had a strong stance on this when they idea came up in interviews.

Jeff has 4 Championships... not 4* Championships.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've never bought the theory that drivers race differently to any meaningful extent because of the chase. All the chase does is reward luck over a specific period of races to a greater extent. It's racing, everyone is still trying as hard as possible to win any race they have a shot at. Nobody's actually trying harder to win certain races just because their points are more important than others, and the drivers themselves have said this several times.

At most you can say it puts more emphasis on performance at the same 10 tracks every year, and then we can get back into the debate of whether a champion should be defined that way or possibly the more legitimate overall results statistics way, which I won't rehash here. One way I could rephrase my point is, as a driver I'd be less motivated to continue competing in a sport that has a completely bogus way of determining its champions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just think it's a ridiculous argument to say a person would have won IF it were this way... No one knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just like IF ol richmond and davey and alan didn't die, Dale wouldn't get 7 Cups. Or if Dale didn't die he'd have 8. It's all bs. I doubt they rushed it for chase to get in, but if so that'd be great if he Casey Atwood's it. Also, since we went 24 years til we started the "modern era" of NASCAR, shouldn't the "next era" have started by now? Or do we wait til some kid in 2031 says when the new era began?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

hi everyone what did I miss RIP JAFF

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

The only real asterisk season is last years and it's because of the stupidity of how the championship was determined. I get it, Harvick in a sense was a deserving champion but how close did he come to not even making the final race? How close did a winless Newman back his way into a cup? In a sport where someone can make the decision to manipulate the outcome of a competitors season with the flick of a steering wheel is not designed for an elimination style playoff. We've beat this topic into the ground for the last few years but just because we don't talk about it as much doesn't mean it went away.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1729 730 731 732 7331060 Next