TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1149 150 151 152 153302 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes, atm they see a problem on the telemetry and tell the driver to stop, get rid of all that and we go back to not knowing if a car has a problem or not.

Unfortunately this will never happen, as live telemetry is needed for the FIA to police the fuel flow rules.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I still don’t really see the volume as been too big of an issue.

Yeah the new V6 Turbos are quieter but that hasn’t put me off, I’ve already gotten used to it (And the finger noses) & Im enjoying F1 just as much this year as I have in the past.
In fact if anything I am enjoying 2014 so far more than I have the past few seasons in part because I love how the new cars are moving around more & how the new power units are adding to that coming off the corners when all the torque kicks in.

F1 of the past decade may well have been louder but the spectacle of watching the cars was lacking because they had so much grip from the aero & so little torque from the engines that they didn’t move around & often looked like they were on rails.
This year it may be quieter but its great to see the drivers actually having to drive the cars again, Watching them moving around through the corners & on the exit is a joy to watch & its made the spectacle of watching the cars so much more exciting.

The racing has been better as well, We had good levels of overtaking at every race as well as some good close, hard fought racing through the field. Bahrain is obviously the standout but there was plenty of good racing & overtaking at the other race.

Overtaking stats so far:
Melbourne – 20
Sepang – 31
Bahrain – 67
China – 40
Spain – 42

I also like how DRS has been less of an issue as well, I'd still rather it not be there at all but at least this year so far its not made passing overly easy as it often did 2011-2013. Same with the tyres, They have so far been less of a factor when compared to how they were in 2012/2013 at least, There more like they were in 2011 so far & I always felt Pirelli got things about right in 2011, The tyres played a role but were not the biggest talking point every weekend as they became in 12/13.

There is nothing really wrong with F1 2014, The cars are still fast, The racing has been great & the engines while quieter still sound very nice & are still plenty loud enough in my view. Just leave things as they are & lets see how things develop naturally over the next few years. I see no reason to start changing everything after 5 races just because some seem to think sound is the only thing that matters.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:

Overtaking stats so far:
Melbourne – 20
Sepang – 31
Bahrain – 67
China – 40
Spain – 42

How are these counted? Can I see the list of the 42 overtakes at Spain: who (84 names) and when? I guess Vettel passing by a Marrussia when he was at the back counts as well? I assume pit overtakes do not count.

This is like saying Atletico-Real will be 6-5 in the end, whereas most people are complaining nothing happened?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
There is nothing really wrong with F1 2014, The cars are still fast, The racing has been great & the engines while quieter still sound very nice & are still plenty loud enough in my view. Just leave things as they are & lets see how things develop naturally over the next few years. I see no reason to start changing everything after 5 races just because some seem to think sound is the only thing that matters.

Fast? Off course, every car that goes 300+ kph is fast. they did that already 40 years ago. But if GP2 cars are getting near F1 cars who are spending like a million times more, then I have a problem with that.

The racing has not been great. Perhaps for you it was. That is very good for you then. When Chelsea played 0-0 at Atletico, most football fans were dissappointed, but some liked it very much because of the tactics Mourinho managed to kept the score 0-0. I simply didn't like it.

About the sound of the engines, tbh I really don't care. On TV I don't hear much difference anyway. "Next few years"? If things continue like this there will be no next few years. It is amazing how many people that were watching F1 amongst my friends have since last year shown much less interest, then came back for Australia but after that race they are not at all interested it seems. Off course they are not die-hard racing fans, more the occasional racing fans. But F1 will have a huge problem if these people continue stop watching F1. TV companies do not like that! Advertisers even less!

If the sound would be the only thing that matters, there wouldn't really be a problem at all.

Next is Monaco. A track I don't expect much racingwise, but I will enjoy that race anyway, because of the scenery and knowing drivers will have to work hard.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Another thing about F1 of recent years that pisses me off is the "saving" aspect of things. Imho, racing is fundamentally about doing lap on the edge after another. If they are not on the edge, they are not racing for me, just cruising

That's why WEC has been the pinnacle of racing, imo, for several years now. They check all the boxes of good racing for me

F1 has always been about 'saving'. How often in any sport is everyone at 100% all the time?

WEC? Pinnacle of racing? I watched the last race and apart from a pass by Buemi I was bored with it.

People have different tastes. The above few posts show why 'asking the fans' is a silly idea. You prefer WEC to F1, that's fine. I don't. That's also fine (or have we all got to be all gooey about the past in F1?)

There were mitigating circumstances as to why the backmarkers were slower than GP2 cars but it isn't ideal - then again, the fastest Moto2 bikes are quicker than the MotoGP backmarkers, yet no-one kicks up a fuss about that.

The main thing should be sorting the trackside microphone placements and for the sport, restructuring the financial situation so that we actually have 11 teams next season.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:32 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's definitely a question of taste.

I was getting annoyed listening to John Hindhaugh run the race down on his Midweek Motorsport radio show and lauding how much better the WEC race was, but when you think about it, when does anyone list a fantastic overtake in a sportscar race?
It's a completely different set of expectations for a sportscar race than you expect from a F1 race, on the face of it less happens on track than an F1 race but over a longer period, but sportscar fans LOVE the strategy that takes place, the endurance element and have the patience to watch a race unfold over a longer period.

It's like the difference between 20/20 cricket and a full 4 day test series, you just can't compare them.

So no wonder Hindy was bemoaning Spain, it just doesn't fit his narrow view of what a motorsport should be like.
And fair enough. I just wish he wouldn't waste 30 mins of a 2 hour show playing devils advocate about it :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I guess race control should shut down randomly telemetry during the race without notice, to raise anxiety among teams and drivers

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We bitch about F1 being contrived and yet all these suggestions of turning off telemetry and banning communication are just as contrived as anything else. The problems in F1 cannot be fixed with more rules and distractions.

Get the money allocated properly to the teams. You have no show without them so one would do well to take care of them.

Throw out all the bullshit. F1 needs to be road relevent about as much as I need a hole in the head. They're not wooing any manufacturers back with that bullshit. Manufacturers want to beat other manufacturers. Plain and simple. So give them the ability to do so by opening up the rules, not painting the teams into a box.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

Overtaking stats so far:
Melbourne – 20
Sepang – 31
Bahrain – 67
China – 40
Spain – 42

How are these counted? Can I see the list of the 42 overtakes at Spain: who (84 names) and when? I guess Vettel passing by a Marrussia when he was at the back counts as well? I assume pit overtakes do not count.

This is like saying Atletico-Real will be 6-5 in the end, whereas most people are complaining nothing happened?
The figures are from Clip the apex & they do list all the overtakes on there somewhere. They count all on-track overtakes for position from the end of the 1st lap onwards.

cliptheapex.com/community/pages/formula-one-overtaking/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:

I'd be interested to see how the 2014 Spanish GP figures compare with 2013 and 2012. I believe most people were unhappy with this year's Spanish because the TV stations focused mainly on the front where little happened. Whereas 4th place back, there was a lot of racing a much overtaking. Most of which was relayed via replay after the fact and obviously some not at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:17 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

This is a highly most anticipated video.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Which Renault was Damon driving?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One with not much downforce.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I found the answer, it was the RS01

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Took him half a lap to realise his visor was still up. I did that in a Kart race and my eyes were stinging for the next 2 days.

It's nice to see Damon having fun in a car again. From what I've read, he really doesn't seem to be into cars and driving very much these days. I saw him at Snetterton a few years ago and he drove off in an old VW Golf. That was his everyday car. I was expecting something a little more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't think I've ever heard Damon sound so excited about anything, ever.

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I saw him at Snetterton a few years ago and he drove off in an old VW Golf. That was his everyday car. I was expecting something a little more expensive.

He answered this when he did Top Gear a few years ago and Clarkson rattled off a list of F1 drivers who drive very normal road cars. Because they spend all their careers driving cars with stupid levels of performance, they don't have any desire to have that sort of car on the road.

Wonder if Ukyo still has his Morris.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When he was at Jordan, he had a normal (ie non-Type R) Accord. A Golf seems almost exciting by comparison!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Michael Schumacher had a yellow Bugatti EB110 when he raced for Benetton

in his Ferrari years, he drove a Fiat 500, the old one

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Straight out of the pits and straight into a drive through penalty :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:24 pm 
Permabanned

LucasWheldon wrote:
Michael Schumacher had a yellow Bugatti EB110 when he raced for Benetton

in his Ferrari years, he drove a Fiat 500, the old one

;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1149 150 151 152 153302 Next