TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1113 114 115 116 117302 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To be fair it'll be the prices rather then engine sounds that do that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
That's your opinion, and that's fair enough.

Agreed, I always value your's and enjoy a good discussion with you even if we don't always agree,

RtN wrote:
But there's a growing list of quite influential people who don't agree.

There's an equally long list and growing list of influential people who are saying the opposite.

RtN wrote:
Race promoters are worried that the lack of noise will tip people away from attending the races.

Race promoters or Ron Walker? Hint, it's the latter... who should be grateful of the lack of noise because now the Melbourne locals who opposed the Aussie GP going from day to a night race no longer have a noise concern to complain about.

Walker should also be thankful that a huge crowd turned up on Sunday because of a local boy doing great on his first outing for Red Bull. So much for the engines keeping people from attending, as it seems a local hero qualifying on the front row then driving a great race to finish second is good for ticket sales. And to hear the crowd cheering when he got provisional pole and finished the race was incredible. Oh, that's atmosphere by the way Ron.

Instead of bitching about the state of things Ron (and Bernie for that matter) should be trying to sell their product.

RtN wrote:
The only thing I was pointing out was that cutting the number of cylinders does not automatically lead to drastically reduced sound quality.

True, I very much agree. But the Indycar's aren't using certain hybrid technologies coupled with the turbo engines which consume the noise. But the cars are still much quieter than you think.

Last edited by kals on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

If fans turn away because the cars are a bit less loud than before, you better take a closer look at the rest of the experience you're offering during a race-weekend, because that means that the sound is just a very small part of the problem.

Which is the case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
I would like to invite Mr. Noble, Mr. Rencken and every other 'expert' who thinks that V6 turbos have to sound like shite to watch a small race around an airport in Florida this Sunday.

They are career motorsports journalists who have been around long enough to have heard plenty of different engines - with their own ears, mind - and your argument is basically to put tabloid quotes around expert and call them wrong because your opinion differs? Good logic.

The common theme seems to be that people who remember the turbo cars of the 80s, or have seen the new cars in person, don't actually have a problem with them. What strikes me as odd is that most of the people gnashing their teeth about it are comparing them to the V8s, which were around for all of eight years and really didn't sound as good as their predecessors!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think one thing that really does need to be changed is the sound setup for the broadcast - it *is* too quiet, IMHO. If people at the track think the noise is good, and those watching on TV think it sucks, the cause seems fairly clear. You'd hope that this would be as simple as upping the input levels.

That said, the person overseeing the broadcast is the same person making the loudest complaints. Of course, he was party to the original agreement for this formula, but...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
RtN wrote:
That's your opinion, and that's fair enough.

Agreed, I always value your's and enjoy a good discussion with you even if we don't always agree,

RtN wrote:
But there's a growing list of quite influential people who don't agree.

There's an equally long list and growing list of influential people who are saying the opposite.

RtN wrote:
Race promoters are worried that the lack of noise will tip people away from attending the races.

Race promoters or Ron Walker? Hint, it's the latter... who should be grateful of the lack of noise because now the Melbourne locals who opposed the Aussie GP going from day to a night race has a noise concern to complain about.

Walker should also be thankful that a huge crowd turned up on Sunday because of a local boy doing great on his first outing for Red Bull. So much for the engines keeping people from attending, as it seems a local hero qualifying on the front row then driving a great race to finish second is good for ticket sales. And to hear the crowd cheering when he got provisional pole and finished the race was incredible. Oh, that's atmosphere by the way Ron.

Instead of bitching about the state of things Ron (and Bernie for that matter) should be trying to sell their product.

RtN wrote:
The only thing I was pointing out was that cutting the number of cylinders does not automatically lead to drastically reduced sound quality.

True, I very much agree. But the Indycar's aren't using certain hybrid technologies coupled with the turbo engines which consume the noise. But the cars are still much quieter than you think.

Ron Walker has back up, although not from the Malaysians (both sides are in the article).

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sepan ... f1-louder/

It's not so much the noise (the new F1 engines are only about 10dB lower, or so I read), it's the quality of the sound. The F1 engines sound very reedy, very thin, compared to the Indycar engines. If that is all because of the energy recovery processes, then there's not much that could be done, but if small changes can be made to make the engines sound better, at the expense of nothing else, looks or performance in particular, they should be pursued.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ron's back up is Bernie.

RtN wrote:
It's not so much the noise (the new F1 engines are only about 10dB lower, or so I read), it's the quality of the sound. The F1 engines sound very reedy, very thin, compared to the Indycar engines. If that is all because of the energy recovery processes, then there's not much that could be done, but if small changes can be made to make the engines sound better, at the expense of nothing else, looks or performance in particular, they should be pursued.

I agree on this, minor changes can probably be made to improve the sound and probably will during the course of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
RtN wrote:
I would like to invite Mr. Noble, Mr. Rencken and every other 'expert' who thinks that V6 turbos have to sound like shite to watch a small race around an airport in Florida this Sunday.

They are career motorsports journalists who have been around long enough to have heard plenty of different engines - with their own ears, mind - and your argument is basically to put tabloid quotes around expert and call them wrong because your opinion differs? Good logic.

The common theme seems to be that people who remember the turbo cars of the 80s, or have seen the new cars in person, don't actually have a problem with them. What strikes me as odd is that most of the people gnashing their teeth about it are comparing them to the V8s, which were around for all of eight years and really didn't sound as good as their predecessors!

Their arguments are no better than strawmen. They seek to paint everyone against the new engines as reactionaries clinging to noises of a bygone age and refusing to let go, and that we should just accept what is as it is given, with no attempt to improve.

That's pretty poor argumentative skills from people who are getting paid to do this sort of thing.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
Their arguments are no better than strawmen. They seek to paint everyone against the new engines as reactionaries clinging to noises of a bygone age and refusing to let go, and that we should just accept what is as it is given, with no attempt to improve.

That's pretty poor argumentative skills from people who are getting paid to do this sort of thing.

To be fair, the vast majority of people who are complaining *are* just looking through rose-tinted glasses. Look at this thread, for example, and see how many people are arguing from any angle other than "but it sounded better when we had x engine". You have a point with the Indycar comparison, but even then it's not a direct one due to the relatively older tech involved.

I don't generally enjoy Rencken's articles, but Noble has at least touched upon the responsibility of the FIA to look into improvements. I think we can all agree that this is something that should happen if that many people are unhappy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
RtN wrote:

To be fair, the vast majority of people who are complaining *are* just looking through rose-tinted glasses. Look at this thread, for example, and see how many people are arguing from any angle other than "but it sounded better when we had x engine". You have a point with the Indycar comparison, but even then it's not a direct one due to the relatively older tech involved.

I don't generally enjoy Rencken's articles, but Noble has at least touched upon the responsibility of the FIA to look into improvements. I think we can all agree that this is something that should happen if that many people are unhappy.

If their entire opinion base is comprised of angry people on internet forums, I think their conclusions may be a little lopsided. :p

At least the manufacturers were right when they said that the engines would sound better than the dyno runs suggested. They were terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

People will get used to them. It's just very early days and the panic mentality has set in before giving the new engines (and formula) a chance to get established.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
If their entire opinion base is comprised of angry people on internet forums, I think their conclusions may be a little lopsided. :p

I shudder at the thought of what we'd have if forums were used to decide regulations :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
RtN wrote:

I shudder at the thought of what we'd have if forums were used to decide regulations :P

Cars would be covered in dogememe

Oh wait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Such turbo

wow

very Grosjeansfault

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Much noise

So complaint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:27 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

What I like about the new engines:

Noise is pleasant. Not ear deafeningly powerful, but the noise isn't BAD, just quieter than previous engines.

All the subsidiary noises you can now hear. Tyre squeal, lock ups, fans cheering and finally able to hear the team radio clearly
(Team radio is worth it alone but hearing the crowd is going to payoff massively at races like Silverstone/Brazil, particularly if there's any chance of a good performance from local drivers )

The added torque, combined with the lack of downforce in the 2014 regs, makes them seem like much more of a handful this season.
Getting the power down seems like much more of a challenge as they're fighting a bucking bronco underneath them

What I don't like about the new engines:

The fact we can't call them engines any more, and I've already done that about 6 times in this post alone so I CBA correcting it all now.

The amount the fans whine about the noise (which is not really the fault of the engines themselves... ;) )

Personally, the look of the cars is much more important than the sound of them, but for some reason the fans seem happy with pug ugly cars so long as they are allowed to be deafened by them.
If I was the FIA I'd work on the regs for the noses before anything else, the engines will fix themselves as the teams develop them but the noses will potentially only get uglier unless they're stamped on now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Find it funny that they haven't changed the loading sound on the F1 website. Don't think the new engine sound would work quite as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The whole problem started with Bernie wining like a little bitch years before the first engine was even testfired.

If he said "let's wait until they actually run it before we judge it" there wouldn't have been a 2-3 year cryfest over the sound. And if he said it didn't sound that bad when it actually ran the majority wouldn't cry murder either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This has popped up with various sources on Twitter, so I can't give credit:

Clearly the answer is for Bernie to go to Halfords and buy a bulk order of Cherry Bombs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Vuvuzela powered racing.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1113 114 115 116 117302 Next