TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2140 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:05 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Are you fucking kidding?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Matter of time before someone asked wasn't it.........not so much the inquiry tha is the problem for me (it is actually human nature to be interested in and curious about the morbid) but the way in which the inquiry was made. I mean come on man, asking like it is the latest and hottest record or flick just released? Not smart.......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

docronzo wrote:
Anybody got their hands on the ski crash video?

Idiot!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

7 times World Champion, 91 times GP winner, 68 pole positions, 155 podiums. Treat the man with some respect.

There isn't a lot we can do now, except hope. Hopefully by the time Melbourne comes around, there's some positive news of his condition.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Woah guys, consider the lack of decorum in the question more a lack of understanding of the language than anything else.. benefit of doubt and all that!

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Umm.....that's actually pretty good use of English.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some rumours suggest that the awakeningprocess has been halted/stopped/pauzed. Source would be 'Focus'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

as if the family hasn't gone through enough lately...

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Spanish news agency EFE reports that a forthcoming case before the Seville courts involves Schumacher.

Reportedly, on a private visit to Spain last mid November, one month before his skiing accident, Schumacher struck a motorcyclist whilst at the wheel of a rented Audi A4.

The report said Schumacher is accused of causing the crash by not giving way, resulting in injuries to the motorcyclist including a broken wrist that required surgery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
As it turned out, the confusion was warranted, with Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, going so far as to issue a statement saying the German's condition was "unchanged."

"This phase can take a long time, which, much to our regret, can lead to many misinterpretations," Kehm said, according to The Daily Mail.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/24/mich ... ed-report/

New blog entry from Gary Hartstein today: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/perplexity/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm 

Quote:
Let’s cut to the chase.

If Michael is not breathing on his own, and is (as we suspect) not showing signs of purposeful interaction with his environment (I am ignoring the mouth movements of which Felipe Massa spoke), AND if there is imaging and functional evidence of extensive and irreversible brainstem damage, Michael’s doctors will discuss withdrawing treatment with the family, as under these circumstances there is essentially no chance of recovery. It is possible that this discussion has already happened.

If Michael is breathing on his own but still not showing purposeful interaction with his environment, then patience is still very much in order. Remember that at one month post-sedation, persistence of this state means roughly a 50% chance of awakening, with the quality of that awakening an open question. This falls to 20% at six weeks (three weeks from now), with a larger portion of these patients having severe functional handicaps. And at one year, essentially no one still comatose wakes up.

Lastly, if Michael is breathing on his own AND showing signs of meaningful interaction with his environment (I very much hope, but very much doubt that this is the situation), then a certain number of people should be ashamed of themselves for denying this good news to his fans. If there is indeed progress and good news ready to be told, then the current comms strategy will go down in the annals as among the most ill-guided, unprofessional, and hurtful in the history of Formula 1 PR.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:29 pm 

Gary Hartstein has been very informative with his blog posts but I can't say I share his sense of entitlement when it comes to communication. Why should Schumacher's family and close ones be doing anything else than whatever they are comfortable with at the moment? It's not as if they owe us anything, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Because they are causing more problems for themselves than they are solving by staying quiet.

By saying nothing, they have created a vacuum of information regarding someone who is very famous and who a lot of people want to hear and read about. As a result, information about Michael's condition is very valuable to journalists and those who hold it can make a reasonable amount of money by selling it. This has already happened at least once (initial reporting of the lifting of the sedation).

Alongside this, with no regular official word coming from Sabine Kehm or anyone at the hospital, it invites journalists (and others) to make up things or extrapolate things which will get attention. As before, this has already happened at least once, when an Austrian(?) neurosurgeon was asked about best-case and worst-case scenarios and his comments were turned into 'SCHUMACHER MAY NEVER WAKE UP' headlines by the Mirror and other media outlets.

Both of these processes must add a lot of unwelcome upset to the family and those around them, and they must certainly want them to end. No-one is asking for a detailed essay every day on Michael's progress, but if Sabine or someone else were to put a very short, and if necessary vague statement out every day or every week then it would go some way towards remedying the issues. It wouldn't end them because some journalists would keep digging for an exclusive but those who are interested in Michael's progress would be satiated and demand for more information would fall.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seriously though, what problems are they causing themselves? How are we to know and what right do we have to need to know? For all we know, they are all happy knowing that Michael is making a good progress and are ignoring the press as is their right.

I'll also add in that I believe too many people are over-analyzing what is going on / could be going on instead of just getting on with their daily lives.

When Michael and his family are ready to speak, they will.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't know about you, and you're right, I don't know for certain about Michael's family, but I would not be very happy if one of my family had had an accident and was in hospital, and I was to read something in a newspaper that was either a) supposed to be confidential or b) was a complete fabrication.

Judging by the statements that Sabine Kehm has made in response to the speculation, I assume that Michael's family aren't very happy either.

Again, there does not need to be any detail provided at all. One sentence, that's it - 'Michael continues to make good progress with his recovery'. And you shut almost all the speculation down.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I dunno really. There are far too many assumptions being made about the situation and how the official rebuttals from Kehm are being positioned. Whether Schumacher's family are happy or not, or are making their lives easy or difficult is none of our business. That's the simple fact of the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I'd be far more bothered about newspapers making stuff up about a relative's condition than newspapers reporting distressing but accurate information. I think the Schumachers have been naive in this situation to think that the media would just not report anything if there was nothing official to report

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

At the risk of sounding like a tabloid reader, there is a bit of a responsibility to fans here, yeah. Michael's success and wealth (and that of his family) are in large part due to his role as a public figure and the interest his fans have shown for the past 20 years. As callous as it sounds, you can't just expect to switch that off at times like this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's not being callous, that is human nature. But I disagree with people's sense of entitlement. Michael has finished his career and during his 20+ years as a sports icon he more than adequately entertained us all and rewarded us for our investment in the sport and him. That's over now. That sense of responsibility ended along with his career.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Agree, had he ended up in this state doing his "job" in front of millions of people on TV then I do feel there's a bit more of a responsibility to his fans, but as it all happened post carreer and in private then there isn't!
Yes he still has millions of adoring fans out there but it's not their right to know as his accident wasn't him being a public figure.

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B's got it right, nobody has the right to know what's going on, but those life long fans were not simply going to forget he existed when he retired, they'll remain fans for the rest of their lives, so it's understandable than some might want to know what's going on.

It's easy to blur some people's sense of entitlement with other peoples genuine concern for the guy and his family, he would have met a lot of people during his career, 99.9% of them he wouldn't ever remember and wouldn't give a second thought to, but to those people, it's something they'll remember forever, it gives them an emotional connection to the person which is a little bit more than they get with say, the Queen or Prime Minister, even if they meet these other people, just look at the people going mental on Sunday when Junior won the 500 yet they're only personal connection to the guy is getting his autograph while he walks through a tunnel after a race, but to them, he is their friend, they love him, adore him etc. etc. It's the same with Schu, he must have "touched" millions of people over the years on a physiological level, of course they are going to want to know what's going on.

I was once told by an irritating Scotsman (you know who) to think very carefully about my future, because if things went well and I stepped into public life, then I would never be able to go back to being just an everyday Joe Bloggs.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2140 Next