TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 840 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:28 am 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Quote:
10.15:The news conference has now come to a close, with doctors saying they hope to be able to give a further update later today.

10.14:A consultant added: "What we observed initially was an impact to the right side of the head. He was agitated when he came in. He had some spontaneous movements and wasn't in a normal state when he came in."

10.10:At the news conference Professor Stéphane Chabarde said: "I came here not in terms of a doctor but as a friend. I'd like to thank everyone for the support and the excellent medical team who treated him so well."I am very worried just like his family, we are very worried about his condition. the doctors won't tell you more because they can't tell you more, they are working hour by hour."This kind of accident, luckily he's 45 which is better than if you were older."

10.07:Dr Stephan Chabardes said: "The helmet wasn't enough to protect him completely but it really did help. We see a lot of head injuries like this."

10.06:Professor Payen: "We have very good medical procedures and we did actually treat him very quickly and give him what he needed very quickly."

10.05:Professor Payen added: "We are in constant contact with his family that are by his bedside. At this moment we don't see he is going to need a second operation."

10.04:Professor Payen continued: "We can say he is fighting for his life. We judge him to be in a very serious situation. We cannot tell what the outcome will be yet. We are working hour-by-hour but it's too early to say what is going to happen and to have a prognosis."We think his helmet did help, without a helmet he wouldn't be here now."

10.00: Professor Jean-Francois Payen added: "I'd say this accident happened in the right place because he was taken into hospital immediately and operated on as soon as he arrived, this meant his state is critical and he is still in a coma and he will be kept in a coma."Everything that needed to be done has been done at the moment we can't really say when he will recover, we cannot answer this yet."

09.59:A spokesman for the hospital said: "Michael Schumacher was the victim of very serious trauma. He was very agitated when he arrived and we decided he was in a critical situation and he quickly went into a coma."The neurosurgical treatment he received brought us quite a lot of information. We had to operate urgently to release some pressure in his head. Unfortunately, he has some lesions within his brain."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:49 am 

"Unfortunately, he has some lesions within his brain"

:( :( :(

I was hoping for better news, but that's still vague enough to give me hope for a full, or almost like, recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:

I was hoping for better news, but that's still vague enough to give me hope for a full, or almost like, recovery.

He's not going to come out for a meet and greet anytime soon, it's a serious head injury and they won't know the extent of any permanent damage until he wakes up, days, weeks, months or even years could pass before that happens.

All they are saying is he has legions on his brain, it could be bruising, or dead tissue, they won't know till he wakes. I think they are trying to be realistic while staying diplomatic, they probably wanted to tell all the press to fuck off and leave them alone to do their jobs properly rather than discuss the details of a patient who ignored safety advice and had an accident, they probably get a few people through the doors each week that this has happened to and would rather be treating them than pandering to the press's demands.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 pm 

I've barely slept last night while waiting for news. Absolutely gutted by the latest update. Happy he is still alive but it just doesn't sound good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ian-S wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:

He's not going to come out for a meet and greet anytime soon, it's a serious head injury and they won't know the extent of any permanent damage until he wakes up, days, weeks, months or even years could pass before that happens.

All they are saying is he has legions on his brain, it could be bruising, or dead tissue, they won't know till he wakes. I think they are trying to be realistic while staying diplomatic, they probably wanted to tell all the press to fuck off and leave them alone to do their jobs properly rather than discuss the details of a patient who ignored safety advice and had an accident, they probably get a few people through the doors each week that this has happened to and would rather be treating them than pandering to the press's demands.

What was the safety advice?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stay on the track

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

According to some reports, this season has been a poor for skiing. The snow has been bad and people have been told to stay on-piste. The Meribel resort director made a significant choice comment yesterday.

Hope Michael pulls through.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 pm 

Ian-S wrote:

All they are saying is he has legions on his brain, it could be bruising, or dead tissue, they won't know till he wakes. I think they are trying to be realistic while staying diplomatic

I know that. What I meant is that, at least, it's not a terrible definitive issue already settled down, ie, he's not yet set to be a vegetable.

It can surely takes lot of time to know the extent of it, and that alone is bad enough...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:19 pm 

Something that positively surprising me is that there are a lot of supportive messages from all kinds of branches of sport in general (footballers, cyclists, tennis, ...), even though motorsport is often just a 4th or 5th headline.

I know it won't help him specifically, but it's still nice to see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
There will be another Press Conference this Afternoon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:53 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I'm feeling more reassured today. I can remember so many of these serious incidents from recent years - Richard Hammond, Da Matta, Massa, Kubica. They all looked fairly bleak at one point. It seems as if Michael hasn't had the extent of serious surgery that, say, Massa and (iirc) Da Matta had. Obviously the doctors aren't going to come out and say "he'll be fine", because there's no guarantee of that due to the potential for complications or permanent damage, but it's not as serious as it could be. A lot of what the doctors are saying is fairly standard - the devil's in the detail, and they've been reluctant to give it out so far. Dr Hartstein's been excellent on this so far

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:23 pm 

StanV wrote:
Something that positively surprising me is that there are a lot of supportive messages from all kinds of branches of sport in general (footballers, cyclists, tennis, ...), even though motorsport is often just a 4th or 5th headline.

as I don't use twitter, I don't have a clue of this. Can you post a few messages please? whenever you have time

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Artur Craft wrote:
StanV wrote:

as I don't use twitter, I don't have a clue of this. Can you post a few messages please? whenever you have time

Come on, there is Google for that: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Schumacher&src=hash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 pm 

Artur Craft wrote:
StanV wrote:

On a tablet so dunno if these come across well:
https://mobile.twitter.com/albertoconta ... tocontador
https://mobile.twitter.com/DCunego/stat ... me=DCunego
https://mobile.twitter.com/JB17Official ... 17Official
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBorisBeck ... orisBecker
https://mobile.twitter.com/rioferdy5/st ... =rioferdy5

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/ ... o-stricken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm 

Alonsomania wrote:

Come on, there is Google for that: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Schumacher&src=hash

thanks and sorry. I'm really inept with these twitter things...

Thanks you too for the effort StanV :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just wanted to offer a bit of my experience with brain lesions.

My mother was diagnosed with Lyme's Disease probably 4 years ago, and it has caused her to have lesions on her brain (5 of them to be exact) I guess it would depend where Michael's are located, but my mother continues to live a normal every-day life with them being there. Unfortunately as time goes on the doctors say they will start affected some of the nerves throughout the body, but not for several more years.

I'm also not sure if there is a difference between trauma induced lesions and disease induced lesions.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:08 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fox wrote:

at what time?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fox wrote:

Source ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gary Harstein just put this blog post up. Him saying that this was more reassuring than what he expected can only be good.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/

First off, this press conference was rather more reassuring than what I expected. I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.

So what do we know now? We know that besides keeping Michael deeply asleep, they’ve also slightly lowered his body temperature. This is part of the strategy to optimise the brain’s metabolic state. Along with increasing the delivery of “good stuff” to the brain, reducing the temperature reduces the brain’s need for stuff. Therefore the supply:consumption relation is rendered more favorable.

We’ve’ been told that Michael has bilateral lesions. This mean the brain is wounded in both hemispheres. That shouldn’t surprise us. This was a hard hit. What kind of “lesions”? While we haven’t been told exactly, we can assume a mix of three types. First, the hematoma itself. This is a collection of blood that can be evacuated. That’s been done, and Michael will be examined and scanned regularly in order to detect the formation of any new hematomas, or re-accumulation of the original one.

Next are contusions. These are basically black-and-blue marks in the brain. They result from blunt forces, and consist of areas of swelling and blood that’s seeped out of the vessels into the tissues – just like when you hit your arm. In the brain, as elsewhere, that blood gets absorbed, and the damage heals. Usually fine, but sometimes leaving small cavities behind.

The third type of lesions are at the microscopic level. They consist of damage to the bundles of “cables” (axons) connecting groups of brain cells. This type of damage isn’t readily visible using standard imaging, but is often associated with “poor neurological outcome”. These lesions aren’t treated specifically; rather, they are managed by classic neuro intensive care principles – maximise brain happiness and avoid brain unhappiness.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:08 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Come on Michael :(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 840 Next