TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1298 posts ]  Go to page Previous 142 43 44 45 4665 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:47 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

webbsy wrote:
How much of a hand have the new Hollywood owners had in all of this? If none, then they sure would be questioning the buy in. If some, then I can see it as a play to drive down the value so as to pick the team up for a discount when it inevitably goes up for sale.

They sure did Wrecks'em...

... I'll show myself out the door.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:50 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Did hear talk that the Tyre Warmer ban has been postponed to 2025 "at least"

JESUS CHRIST, these guys need to watch some other series and realise no tyre warmers doesn't=instant crashes and death :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you want to read something really ridiculous, look at any discussion over on Reddit about banning tire warmers. The people on the F1 subreddit act like F1 cars are so completely unique that the laws of physics drastically change and there's no way they could ever complete a lap without everybody crashing. Give me a fucking break.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
perhaps they could at least ban the warmers for Sprint races for a change

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
If you want to read something really ridiculous, look at any discussion over on Reddit about banning tire warmers. The people on the F1 subreddit act like F1 cars are so completely unique that the laws of physics drastically change and there's no way they could ever complete a lap without everybody crashing. Give me a fucking break.

The F1 subreddit is home to some of the most catastrophically stupid, hysterical opinions I've ever seen. I go on there from time and time, and am always left wondering why I did while my brain cells dribble out of my ears.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Schumifan wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:

The F1 subreddit is home to some of the most catastrophically stupid, hysterical opinions I've ever seen. I go on there from time and time, and am always left wondering why I did while my brain cells dribble out of my ears.

During the weekends its a wash, but there's occasionally the more techinical, highly policed, no low effort/meme analysis threads can be interesting

But I dunno, Reddit, Twitter, it's all dying soon isn't it?

At the end of time TBK Light will be the only motorsport forum left standing (and only because we got our rebrand/takeover done EARLY :P )

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Schumifan wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:

During the weekends its a wash, but there's occasionally the more techinical, highly policed, no low effort/meme analysis threads can be interesting

At the end of time TBK Light will be the only motorsport forum left standing (and only because we got our rebrand/takeover done EARLY :P )

The problem with Reddit is the same as Discord and other chatroom formats: the discussion is not structured enough compared to a forum.

Regarding tyre warmers: I watched a video of a more serious French Youtuber on the topic. The problem isn't that they will crash, it's that it will take time to get to speed, so pit strategy and pit exit battles won't be as exciting as today. Or, you'd have to sacrify overall speed/aero grip of the cars, and go down to the level of Indycars or other series that manage to pull it off without tyre warmers. The energy that goes in an F1 tyre is way higher than an Indycar. Tyre warming from cold, and still have a tyre that works under F1 load and doesn't fall apart, is a real technical challenge.

So sure, the "cold tyres = death" internet crowd is stupid, but let's be better than that, and not use them as a strawman to avoid having a critical eye on the technical and sport aspect of it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Coldtyre wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Schumifan wrote:

The problem with Reddit is the same as Discord and other chatroom formats: the discussion is not structured enough compared to a forum.

Regarding tyre warmers: I watched a video of a more serious French Youtuber on the topic. The problem isn't that they will crash, it's that it will take time to get to speed, so pit strategy and pit exit battles won't be as exciting as today. Or, you'd have to sacrify overall speed/aero grip of the cars, and go down to the level of Indycars or other series that manage to pull it off without tyre warmers. The energy that goes in an F1 tyre is way higher than an Indycar. Tyre warming from cold, and still have a tyre that works under F1 load and doesn't fall apart, is a real technical challenge.

So sure, the "cold tyres = death" internet crowd is stupid, but let's be better than that, and not use them as a strawman to avoid having a critical eye on the technical and sport aspect of it

The point is, Pirelli think they can do it, so if they can (their wet tyre doesn't use tyre warmers and comes up to temperature fast enough) then who are we to doubt them?

And tbh I can't see much difference in Indycar or DTM strategies and F1s, only that the undercut chance isn't over when the car coming out of the pits gets out on track in front, it takes up to half a lap to get the heat in the tyres so there's always an extra bit of time of excitement as you wonder if the car behind is within range enough to pass as the car in front struggles around to warm up their tyres...

Also, I remember exactly this kinda naysaying about the banning of refueling in 2009, people saying it'd be unsafe (start crashes would return to having the fireballs of the 1950s-70s...that happened ONCE :P ) and it'd ruin F1 racing and all strategies would be exactly the same, they'd all choose the same tyres, pit on the same lap and the races would be processional

Didn't happen, it IMPROVED the racing 100%

F1 gets set in its ways sometimes, I thinks because things are the way they are, any change to that modus operandi is dangerous...

Tyre blankets are an unneeded expense, get rid and lets have some better racing around pitstops....

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

plus, the teams don't even want to try at least at one practice or testing session to take some runs with unheated tires

if they don't try we'll not know how it's going to be

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
when the car coming out of the pits gets out on track in front, it takes up to half a lap to get the heat in the tyres so there's always an extra bit of time of excitement as you wonder if the car behind is within range enough to pass as the car in front struggles around to warm up their tyres...

One of my favorite parts of IndyCar racing. The racing can get really intense when you have drivers pushing hard on cold tires to get up to speed, and at the same time you have drivers on hot tires really trying hard to make a move ASAP before they lose their grip advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:02 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's the same with Super Formula as well, definitely adds an extra element

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I want to see Super Formula pitstops on F1, it'll certainly add an entertainment factor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

now the standings without Red Bull, shows a nice fight for the championship

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Still no points for Devries :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rumors say Alpha Tauri will be renamed to an iconic fashion brand next season

me hoping for a surprise Benetton return

but its likely Hugo Boss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:12 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

micha wrote:
rumors say Alpha Tauri will be renamed to an iconic fashion brand next season

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:39 am 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Someone is trying to make sense out of the Alex Palou contract saga and supposedly it's because Honda wants to field him in Aston Martin in 2026 :roll:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... light/amp/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:56 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The motorsports world moves far too fast for long term games like that to be played out lol. I reckon it's because Palou is dominating Indycar atm, and kinda wants to stick with that winning recipe (hardly surprising?). Plus now that Piastri has settled in at McLaren, that seat is secure and the mad scramble for people wanting to be associated with McLaren during the Riccardo struggles has calmed.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I believe that he could replace Albon as soon someone picks him off Williams

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Massa is going through with the legal actions against the FIA over Crashgate. It seems he only wants compensation over lost earnings and not to invalidate the race and give him the championship, though.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1298 posts ]  Go to page Previous 142 43 44 45 4665 Next