TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 45125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
If they can race in Zandvoort, they can race in any other historic circuit in the USA. None of them are more dangerous than Jeddah. FIA is very flexible with their requirements, if they want to.
And I'm sure the locals are accustomed to the old-school facilities, so even they don't require upgrading.

I just don't want any more street tracks. Period. More tracks like Red Bull Ring and Spa, please. :wave:

regardless if we are talking about F1 or NASCAR - it's all about the market.

as a example: while for you or me, Watkins Glen might be perfect for F1 - but that's not the clientele that Liberty want for new races. The rich folk and celebs that Liberty is trying to sell these overpriced tickets to aren't going to go when the 3 closest airports (within 1 hour & half) to the circuit (Elmira, Ithaca & Binghamton) only have very limited service (all 3 have Detroit, ITH also has Newark, gaining Philly / dropping Charlotte, and ELM also has a few cheapo Allegiant flights to secondary Florida hubs).

Road America is a little better as it's near Chicago and Milwaukee - but it's still a couple hours drive out

Laguna would be more likely because it's a easy spot to wine & dine the corporate types (main reason why there or Sonoma has been the IndyCar finale for so long)

For me, I still believe it's cheaper (even after passports and all of that mess) to go out of country to Montreal for F1 than it is for CoTA. Miami? I could go to Daytona (which is overpriced in itself; Indy is like half the cost with GA or 3/4 the cost with grandstands) like 3 times over for what those tickets cost MSRP (8 times over what practice day is on StubHub now)

the same is true for current era NASCAR, but for them - it's also a method of survival to stay in certain markets (LA with the Coliseum race, Chicago with the proposed street race) as their farther out properties (Fontana & Joilet) become more valuable for shipping/warehouse hubs in the age of same day/next day Amazon & Walmart online deliveries

Sure, you have tons of government money going to fix North Wilkesboro up, but much like F1 - you won't see SMI or NASCAR going hard at giving it a Cup date unless shit hits the fan with another market.

----

on a solely racing end tho (IMO):

Road America would be good if nothing changed (main things that FOM would want changed is more paved runoff (NASCAR also asked for that and was told to screw off apparently), more runoff at the kink (impossible because there's a train track on the otherside) and their stupid pit lane garages that don't have a pit wall / easier for crew members & media to get hit)

Watkins Glen would be terrible, with the 2021 spec cars - there's only like 3 corners where a decent amount of braking would be needed. Several corners would be wide open

Laguna sucks for cars - it's over hyped with Zanardi's off track pass - that's it

---

also on another note; do recommend Dinner with Racers' podcast with Michael Printup. Apparently the track / ISC did do some studies on what it would take if they wanted to go after another F1 date at the Glen (also goes into the shitshow that was the Staten Island project feat. what happens with the mafia when you pick the wrong dirt fill guy)
https://dinnerwithracers.com/ep-183-michael-printup/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Put F1 at Michigan. Let's see if they can beat de Ferran's record.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh this won't backfire at all...nope...not at all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... d=msedgntp

Teams and drivers will decide themselves if they have to give a place back for an off the track pass. They have a lap to decide and then advise the race director why they didn't. This won't end well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So if you are faster but can't pass, all you have to do is to pass off track and pull away 5 seconds and keep the place? Yeah, that seems fair and legit!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:00 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

webbsy wrote:
Oh this won't backfire at all...nope...not at all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... d=msedgntp

Teams and drivers will decide themselves if they have to give a place back for an off the track pass. They have a lap to decide and then advise the race director why they didn't. This won't end well.

Pretty sure this is the way it used to be about 15 years ago

IIRC the 2006 or 2007 Japanese Grand Prix had Alonso pass a car 1 corner after going off track, the team radio'd Fernando to give the place back, then the FIA went "Lol, we weren't going to ask you to do anything, there's no rule about passing a car 1 corner after going off track, you didn't have to give the place back lololol" (hello to Spa 08 of course ;) )

I guess they think we can go back to the teams/drivers self policing, but it just means no-one now will ever give a place back until they're hit with a post race 30 second penalty or whatever the draconian penalty will be

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
it'll be all down to the other teams whining through their own team radio like we got used to see

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:06 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

More drama for Netflix Drive To Garbage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:

I see it from here:

Clock ticking. Slowmo. Driver breathing hard. Fast heartrate. Driver is sweating, eyes racing in his helmet. Should he give the place back to his championship rival? Or keep going and hope for the best... Flashbacks to older races...clock ticking... Insert Senna quote...

*Wooosh sound effect and back to normal speed racing footage and custom-made commentary*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:38 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fabs wrote:

It was recently recommended by a friend of mine who said to me: "If you're a racing fan, you HAVE to see this".

I saw one episode and quickly realized that exactly because I think I am a racing enthusiast I have no use for that crap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer612008 wrote:
I really don't want to see Spa get kicked off

I'd much rather see a boring shithole like CoTA, Paul Ricard or Yas Marina get yeeted

I choose Paul Ricard.

I already wear glasses as it is; I don't want to further kill my eyesight by having to look at that blinding painted tarmac again.

Last edited by Cartman on Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:20 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

COTA puts on decent races

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The new rules will favour better racing at COTA. Less slipstream overtakes on the straight and closer following through the esses. Last year battle would've been even closer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Looks like Hulk gets a few more races.

Quote:
"Still, I am in a tough place. I am not fully healthy I would say. I still feel very tired, very sleepy and I can't even do basic exercises, as I quickly lose breath."

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/28/vet ... ovid-test/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can quiet believe that, someone I know can still barely walk across the room without getting out of breath and they had Covid over two month ago (triple vaxx’d and used to cycle 30 miles a day too, so not exactly the unfit demographic usually associated with long Covid).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:49 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Turns out that Max Moseley's death in 2021 was because he shot himself with a shotgun after an incurable cancer battle: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ancer.html

(apologies for story on *that* news site, but it has more details than other sites)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Turns out that Max Moseley's death in 2021 was because he shot himself with a shotgun after an incurable cancer battle: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ancer.html

(apologies for story on *that* news site, but it has more details than other sites)

Here's a Reuters link instead, so you can have time to disinfect your browser :yuk:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-03-29/

That's an interesting story - I realised that they never really gave details of what happened. It sounds like he was completely sure of his decisions right until the end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Here's a Reuters link instead, so you can have time to disinfect your browser :yuk:

That's an interesting story - I realised that they never really gave details of what happened. It sounds like he was completely sure of his decisions right until the end.

What's interesting is it took a year for the news to come out. I imagine it didn't take long to look at the body and figure out he didn't die of cancer? You'd think his PA would have let something slip to the press. I just hope it didn't take a 12 month inquest to put the pieces together.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

What's interesting is it took a year for the news to come out. I imagine it didn't take long to look at the body and figure out he didn't die of cancer? You'd think his PA would have let something slip to the press. I just hope it didn't take a 12 month inquest to put the pieces together.

It looks like the inquest into his death has only just started. The UK has had increasing delays in some parts of the country over the last year or two, probably due to Covid and underfunding.

Also relevant is Mosley's relationship with the press - he effectively became a privacy campaigner after the sex scandal and suing the News of the World, so it's very likely that people close to him woud have been much less likely to leak things, and that any press receiving such leaks would be scared to publish them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel that it is nobodies business. I could have done without that extra info, but the media will blow it up (really no pun intended).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I guess the same thing might happen to Schumacher. He's gonna pass away and the family will announce only months later

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 45125 Next