TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 3134 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

JJ wrote:
What did he do? There was so much happening during the race that I missed it completely.

All I've see is a breach of the rolling restart. So nothing to do with the spin at least.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stoegi wrote:
The more I'm watching the Bottas Russel Incident, the more I think Bottas is at fault. Insanely dangerous to move to the middle of the track there. No one als has done this today.

Seeing the onboards I think Lando did something very similar when he was overtaken by Lewis. The difference was that his nod towards the right happened when Lewis was a bit further in comparison to what Bottas did with Russell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stroll got a five second penalty

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... _6UGqMzJaY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't get why Perez got a 10 sec penalty for spinning and recovering under SC but Raikkonen got a 10 sec stop & go for spinning at the restart... That's just bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:10 pm 

Well, Bottas had extremely tough weekend and i think that he didnt suspect Williams trying to overtake him place like that. Russel made mistake that he thought that Bottas would let him by and took over the dry line just like that. Russel is great driver and Bottas is clearly having hard times. I hope that Russel wont become too selfish his head full of yellow liquid.. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:12 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shaddix wrote:
I don't get why Perez got a 10 sec penalty for spinning and recovering under SC but Raikkonen got a 10 sec stop & go for spinning at the restart... That's just bullshit.

Perez' penalty was for overtaking under the SC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was under what was essentially a race start conditions, not under SC conditions. It was technically actually a formation lap so he could have taken his spot back but because he didn't take it back by the SC line he was required to pit and start from there. I guess Alfa goofed because they restarted behind the SC instead of a standing start like we'd thought it was going to be. Mindful of what had befallen Perez.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shaddix wrote:
Toto his interview about the incident is pretty spicy: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff ... a/6332943/

Maybe I'm just reading too much in to this but he seems to be annoyed by how annoyed Russell is for not getting the 2nd Merc seat.

What I read here was "Hey George! You had one job which was not crashing your semi-teammate and you failed. You shouldn't have forced the move like that."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wolff is an expert politician but his comments in that interview come across as excessively undiplomatic against Russell.

Thing is, I didn't see the move as particularly high risk from Russell's perspective. He had a big run on Bottas and probably felt that if he had the grip he could've outbraked Bottas and taken the line into the corner. Whereas if he didn't have the grip under braking, he probably thought that he left himself space around the outside to back out of the move. He certainly would not have anticipated or planned for Bottas moving across on him well before the braking zone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

That penalty for Kimi is just pure bullshit. Not regaining his place when it was allowed was worth of 30s penalty?! What the fuck for real?? He made a mistake and paid for it there!

Also, the timing of Vettel's penalty was bullshit. He had brake issues and was paying the price with pitlane start. Then he puts around lap 23 and you slam him a stop and go for that?!

Who the fuck were the clowns in the penalty booth this weekend? Norris crossed "the track limits" by 5cm in Q3??

Fucking tossers...let 'em race!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Rookie mistake from Russell imo, he had been through that part of the track enough times to know it wasn't dry enough there and over-reacted to Bottas working through the kink enough to lose it on the wet and cause a huge crash

Disappointing that George got a bit hot headed after the wreck too, walking over to Bottas' car and starting shit with him. This isn't NASCAR, George

As I've long suspected since they were both in the ladder series, Lando is the the one who is shining while the Russell star is fading somewhat.
Probably has something to do with the fact Lando has been in a huge scrap for every single position since Day 1 of his F1 career, whereas George has just had a boring run at the back of the field and potentially is rusty in wheel to wheel competition somewhat.

Brilliant race from Lando today. God, I hope McLaren's recent upswing in performance is long term.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't see why a minor misjugdment today on a tricky situation suddenly makes Russell somewhat a lesser driver than Lando. He spanked Bottas' ass in the same car last year, and did it today (figuratively then literally, lol) in a lesser car. We will need them both in competitive equipment to make the call.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Just the impression I've had of both of them since watching them in the Ladder series

George is more of a Vettel type "if everything goes perfectly, he can plant it on pole and win the race from the front" driver

Lando is more the full package, qualifying, racecraft, wheel to wheel racing, great pace in the wet and more likely to pull a blinding overtake that you didn't even think possible

And yes, i know their relative records in the ladder series don't reflect this, just an impession I felt while watching them

The only thing we can say on that is time will tell, but I've been impressed by Lando's F1 career so far scrapping in the midfield, and yes it's a shame George isn't a part of that. But now his Williams isn't a million miles off the pace, hopefully we'll see more giant killing performances from him

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:
Shaddix wrote:
Toto his interview about the incident is pretty spicy: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff ... a/6332943/

Maybe I'm just reading too much in to this but he seems to be annoyed by how annoyed Russell is for not getting the 2nd Merc seat.

What I read here was "Hey George! You had one job which was not crashing your semi-teammate and you failed. You shouldn't have forced the move like that."

I read this as a message that George should give a Mercedes more consideration than other cars when racing for position. That's the sort of message you usually give with your quiet voice, Toto...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@
codename_47
Yeah that's fair. It's cool to see everyone bunched up except for the Haas. I hope McLaren and Ferrari can keep it near the two top teams.

Regarding the incident, do you guys think DRS played a role? Given the track being half-wet, people on slicks, and the curved nature of this straight, it could've been a wise call not to allow DRS until the dry line became wider.
There is a very minor possibility that the Williams would've not lost it as badly with a planted rear end (he seemed to overrev and start sliding before even hitting the grass)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pick up the phone George and give Alpine a call.

I think that he, like everyone else, just assumes that he is going to take Bottas's seat. But I have a feeling that today's crash might just make the little voice in Toto's head say "We need team harmony and balance for Lewis" and keep Bottas until Hamilton calls it quits. If Lewis goes around next year, then I feel that Bottas will be alongside him.

On the other hand, it might also be a case of what the Hell was Bottas doing battling a Williams! So...who knows haha.

But either way there is a real chance that Merc does a Yamaha to Johan Zarco in Moto GP (and Ocon now). The guy that seemed destined to be in the works team, gets straddled with inferior machines, does all he can and then gets overlooked for someone else, being forced to leave the program/team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Schumifan wrote:
I know Bottas technically left a car width but you're playing with fire defending like that. Can't help but feel there's some truth to what Russell said - "would he have defended like that against a different driver" (paraphrasing)

Shaddix wrote:

Bit bizarre for Wolff to be throwing his own driver under the bus like that. If I was Russell, and Toto wasn't my only way into the Mercedes, I'd be looking for a new manager. Toto's barking up the wrong tree anyway though, he should be questioning why he's paying Bottas to get overtaken by a Williams in the first place, not why the Williams is overtaking him

I've been on this ever since Russell choked in Germany 2019. He makes way too many mistakes just when he's on the verge of achieving better than average results at Williams. Everyone thinks he's in the clear after that Bahrain sub last season but Wolff must have seen the same stuff I'm seeing. If Mercedes loses the competitive edge they can't afford to put in a guy who doesn't respond to the pressure. And Russell has made several errors. I won't be surprised if Bottas gets canned but Russell actually won't get the job anyway.

The Russell fanboys got a rude wake up call and if they think Russell is more important than Toto Wolff they better think again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bottas=shit driver

That's all there is to say on that incident. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:56 am 

Scotty wrote:
This thread has been hilarious reading. People defending crap drivers, attacking really good ones. People need to start seeing past their national pride, I'm seeing that with Ricciardo, he's starting to look very mediocre in that McLaren.

Are we just going to ignore Bottas was lapped before the half way mark today? Took way too long to get past the slow Gasly. He is wasting that seat. We can discuss whether or not Russell merits the seat all day but at this stage, half the grid could do better in that seat.

Not only is he going to cost Mercedes the constructors title, he's on track to help Lewis lose the drivers title

Mercedes should show some spine and do what RB did in 2016 and swap him for someone else.

Bottas is a sitting duck, nobody takes him seriously anymore. Even BBC stopped with the "all new & improved Bottas 3.5 Beta title challenger" crap they were still doing half-way thru 2019. The only reason he's still at Mercedes is because Albon and Gasly had more issues as Red Bull's #2. But the magic carpet ride is set to end after this season.

What happens at McLaren will be interesting to watch. Norris doesn't make mistakes and has raw speed advantage over Ricciardo at first glance.

Another interesting case will be the Alpine. Alonso looks like a grumpy old guy who should have stayed away while Ocon is Mr. Invisible even more than Mr. Invisible himself Giovinazzi.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 3134 Next