TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2015 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14101 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
rain falling in the middle of a flying lap was tast, cars spinning with no notice

perhaps the best qualifying is the one from the old times, a random draw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One lap qualifying was just unfair in mixed conditions. Plus it was boring as heck, especially for people who had bought tickets. Just imagine Spa: one car goes past every 2 minutes. *Yawn*. The current qualifying system went through a proper evolution to be what it is now. There's plenty of action all the time, nothing's settled before the last car crosses the line and it's fair. It's the last aspect of Formula 1 that needs fixing but unfortunately, altering weekend format is million times cheaper and easier to change than problematic aerodynamics, lack of teams or the dominance of Mercedes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:36 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Sprint races would get ultra-conservative IMO, risking a start at the back of the grid in Grand Prix ain't worth the squeeze IMO. We often see cars running on turned down engines already, like finishing 6th or 7th is more important than turning up the wick and try to go for 5th place. Sprint races would probably put more strain on the engines compared to qualifying anyway. I just see this idea going up in smoke and the same people achieving the same results. Does anyone really want to see a sprint race in Monaco instead of the traditional qualifying which is often more exciting than the race itself? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Portimão is set to be confirmed as the TBC race after all. Don't know what caused the change, but I doubt it'll have an audience as we're under hard lockdown until early April.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Failing to see the logic in sprint races. "A lot of our races are boring, let's fix it by... adding more races"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
Failing to see the logic in sprint races.

more time showing the sponsorship boards and holograms along the track during tv broadcast, since they cannot have a live audience

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:
Does anyone really want to see a sprint race in Monaco instead of the traditional qualifying which is often more exciting than the race itself? :roll:

Nobody, that's why they will hold a proper qualifying session to determine the sprint race grid. As explained in the article. The sprint race does not replace qualifying.

The real comparison here is: do you prefer a free practice session, or a race? All else being equal, because that's what is at stake here and that everyone seems to forget.

When they eventually fix racing (2022 is still in the plans, this idea does NOT cancel that), then that means you get one more opportunity to see on-track battles and drama, instead of people fine-tuning their cars aimlessly around the track in free practice. I fail to see why anyone would be passionately against the idea of a sprint race, if you take a rational look at it. At best, you could not care for it, but it's not like it will somehow hurt the sport.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh yeah, and in the same thread where Week-end planning seems to be a non-issue to fix races, there are rose-tinted talks about one-lap qualifying. :p

We all thought it would bring excitement. And it did happen exactly once: when Ralf binned it at Monaco. That's it. No starting grid was ever completely shambled by it (weather excluded but that mixes up even traditional qualis). The current format has caused more drama with drivers retiring in Q1 due to mechanicals or bad strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:06 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Coldtyre wrote:
Oh yeah, and in the same thread where Week-end planning seems to be a non-issue to fix races, there are rose-tinted talks about one-lap qualifying. :p

We all thought it would bring excitement. And it did happen exactly once: when Ralf binned it at Monaco. That's it. No starting grid was ever completely shambled by it (weather excluded but that mixes up even traditional qualis). The current format has caused more drama with drivers retiring in Q1 due to mechanicals or bad strategy.

Brazil in 2003, when Mark Webber was a corner from taking an upset pole.
Magny-Cours in 2003, when Minardi was 1-2 after the first run.
Australia in 2005, with chaos weather and the favorites were buried deep in the field. Sato crashing.
Japan in 2005, same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:10 pm 

Coldtyre wrote:
Vassago wrote:
Does anyone really want to see a sprint race in Monaco instead of the traditional qualifying which is often more exciting than the race itself? :roll:

Nobody, that's why they will hold a proper qualifying session to determine the sprint race grid. As explained in the article. The sprint race does not replace qualifying.

The real comparison here is: do you prefer a free practice session, or a race? All else being equal, because that's what is at stake here and that everyone seems to forget.

When they eventually fix racing (2022 is still in the plans, this idea does NOT cancel that), then that means you get one more opportunity to see on-track battles and drama, instead of people fine-tuning their cars aimlessly around the track in free practice. I fail to see why anyone would be passionately against the idea of a sprint race, if you take a rational look at it. At best, you could not care for it, but it's not like it will somehow hurt the sport.

Get rid of the third practice session and save engine mileage. Cars are more or less bulletproof these days anyway. If FIA really wanted to cut costs they'd introduce a two-day race weekend. No need for sprint race gimmicks. What excitement they want to create? Mercedes on 5th row on the grid would be exciting? It would take Hamilton 6-10 laps to be in front anyway :lol: One lap qualifying was supposed to be exciting, someone makes an error and starts at the back. How did that end up? They got rid of it FAST :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

there's always the master gimmick of locking Mercedes and Red Bull out of Q2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:05 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Wasn't there that really stupid session in Silverstone where Rain was expected for the 2nd session so everyone spend the 1st 1 lap qualifying session going slowly and backing off so they would get an early slot in Q2 when it was more likely to be dry?
(Michael even practiced his pantented qualifying spin, this time only ruining his lap ;) )

But yeah, It remains the only time I didn't bother watching qualifying. Just felt way more predictable than any other qualy format.

Lets go back to two sessions, one on Friday and one on Saturday. :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:21 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Would also be fun if the fuel load couldn't be changed between quali and the race, so the cars would qualify on varying loads.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:55 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

amq55 wrote:
Would also be fun if the fuel load couldn't be changed between quali and the race, so the cars would qualify on varying loads.

That was the absolute worst thing about it, as you never knew who had done a good job and who just had a light fuel load

A lot of those poles weren't legit because they were just 10/20kg lighter than anyone else. No thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:01 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Vassago wrote:

I'd rather see Monaco taken off the schedule completely

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:09 am 

mclaren2008 wrote:
Vassago wrote:

No F1 opinion pisses me off more than this. The most exciting track on the calendar gone? Get f'd. A great race in Monaco (I know, they don't happen that often) is among the greatest races there ever could be. Make it a 300km race like the rest instead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dicksplaash wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Vassago wrote:

No F1 opinion pisses me off more than this. The most exciting track on the calendar gone? Get f'd. A great race in Monaco (I know, they don't happen that often) is among the greatest races there ever could be. Make it a 300km race like the rest instead.

Agreed. If there's any race on the calendar that can get away with being dull it's Monaco. F1 wouldn't be the same without it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dicksplaash wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Vassago wrote:

I honestly dont know where I stand on this one.

Monaco = F1. Its been part of it for so long, it belongs on the calendar.
At the same time. If Monaco was introduced as a new race in the last 10-15 years, would any of us feel the same about it or would we pass it off as a shitty track simply there because of $$$$ ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
In the 5 or so years that system was in place, I think only 1 or 2 were set by drivers with super super low fuel loads. Ralf at Suzuka in 2005 is the only one that comes to my mind. Not only that, anyone who underfuelled in qualfying usually fell like a stone and weren't competitive later on in the race. In 2009 they started publishing the qualy weights anyway, which was brilliant.

Trulli got his one in the 2005 US farce because they were quite keen Michelin cars wouldn't race anyway so they gave zero fucks and ran on very low fuel

Monaco should focus more on endurance since the g forces and wear are lower and go back to a 100 lap races

then the last sunday of May will became a day of long races

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

100 laps currently would be around 1h50-2h. The last 100 lap race took 2h34 to complete.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2015 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14101 Next