TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36123 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:25 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

When Jacques Laffite won in Sweden in 1977, they didn't have the French anthem so someone just whistled it into a microphone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back in the 60s they used to play Waltzing Matilda.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
when Red Bull won the first races in 2009 they were playing the british anthem as they didn't had the recording of the austrian anthem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

LucasWheldon wrote:
well that's now new considering Pirelli, in the 80's and early 90's they were also quite rubbish in F1, only 3 victories between 1981 and 1991

The Pirelli tyres were good. It's just that they didn't have contracts with the top teams. Same as Bridgestone in 1997

Scotty wrote:
A thought just occurred to me is that in 1975 or whenever Jones won, our national anthem was God Save the Queen (the British anthem). Don't know why they didn't play that.

Unless there's been some video editing going on, this suggests they played Advance Australia Fair. Sounds like a taped version (which was standard)

Almost as if AJ is full of shit...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Premieres in 97 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
Premieres in 97 minutes.

now THAT is a wet Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that is Adelaide 89/91 levels, if it was today the race would start under safety car a hour after the first red

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

apparently they lost image feed midway through the race

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Are we really having to hear the key moments, instead of seeing them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I saw the 1994 review and didn't remember those 2 hard crashes on Dunlop.

Great piece of text:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/reme ... e/4783756/

Amazing piece by Brundle on that crash:
Quote:
"I could see I was heading absolutely broadside, shoulder on, to a mini caterpillar truck," Brundle later wrote in his 2004 book, Working the Wheel. "This was the price for racing on an old circuit that did not have the benefit of an internal road for safety vehicles. I thought 'That's it, I've had it, I'm going to go under this thing.'

"I miraculously missed the caterpillar by less than half a metre. I smashed into the tyre barrier and I remember seeing a marshal jump in among the tyres at the point where I hit. I'll never forget this man's face as the front of the car caught him and he was flung through and over my cockpit. The marshal was lying on the ground with a bone sticking through the leggings of his overalls."

It was a chilling reminder of the safety improvements F1 needed, coming near the end of a season that had started with the ultimate wake-up call at Imola, then Karl Wendlinger's accident at Monaco and Pedro Lamy's aerial shunt while testing for Lotus at Silverstone. The marshal was left with a broken leg, but when Brundle met him one year later, he said he "could see the lasting effect of his injury."

I image Senna's ghost appearing like the Jedi ghosts in Star Wars for this moment:
Quote:
Hill came in for his stop on lap 25, but had further complications in the pits: "The mechanics had trouble getting the nut off the right-rear wheel, which meant it was never changed - except I didn't know that."

He was able to emerge second on-track, but still leading Schumacher on aggregate, with the Williams pit wall furiously working away at the numbers. Schumacher came in for his final stop with 10 laps remaining, having swung the time advantage back in his favour to lead by four seconds on aggregate.

The aggregate gap swelled again to almost 15 seconds, but Schumacher was able to make serious inroads thanks to his fresh tyres. Hill, meanwhile, needed to keep the buffer at over 6.8 seconds - no simple feat.

"I wasn't receiving much information on the radio and I remember glancing at a giant trackside screen while trying to learn more about our relative positions," Hill wrote.

Schumacher had been gaining rapidly on Hill at a rate of over one second per lap, putting the Williams driver under pressure as his lead dwindled. Hill felt "completely spent" - but then produced the lap of his life to clinch the victory, something he later recalled as being an out-of-body experience."Eventually I caught a brief glimpse of Michael on the screen, so I knew where he was on the track, but I had no way of knowing how the aggregate time was panning out. I simply had to push as hard as I could on worn tyres."

"From the moment I exited Turn 1, I did not drive the car in any normal sense until I reached the hairpin halfway around the lap," Hill wrote. "I was possessed. I watched my hands moving the wheel, completely free to do whatever they wanted in response to the car moving beneath me.

"I was just an observer of something phenomenal. I would never come close to driving like that again."

"It had taken everything out of me, and then this thing had happened on the last lap that I had no explanation for," Hill said. "I kept it to myself for years, trying to understand what had happened. But for now, this result was all that I ever wanted: to know I could do it when it really counted."

Nice words from Alesi : :lol:
Quote:
After making a poor start, Mansell had won a close scrap with Jean Alesi in the closing stages, who told the '92 world champion: "You're completely mad, but very quick for an old man!" Alesi would have the last laugh though, taking the podium thanks to the aggregate times - something Mansell admitted he had forgotten about.

And this comeback, taken from 2 parts of the text:
Quote:
"Williams couldn't have done a better job of making me feel like an understudy to Nigel if they had tried," Hill wrote in his 2016 autobiography, Watching the Wheels. "They hung on his every word while he told them exactly what I had been saying all year about the improvements that needed to be made to the car."

In his book, Hill recalls Williams technical chief Patrick Head telling him after qualifying: "You walk around with a long face, you're glum, you're never happy. It affects the team." This was after sticking his car second on the grid, with Mansell back in fourth.

"From now on, I would be out for myself," Hill decided. "This was my car, my track, my race; I'll do what I like."

(...)

Importantly for Hill, though, it showed Williams that he was the man to back - ironically, coming in the best display of Mansell's comeback. True, he won in Australia, but only after Hill and Schumacher had both dropped out of the race.

And great pic by the two title contenders, a well deserved congratulations hand-shake:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:10 am 

Hill's best drive by far, but worth remembering that Benetton basically cocked up their strategy for once which cost Michael the win

Always feel bad for Frentzen who qualified really went and then ended up off the road almost immediately. Herbert did a great job in qualifying too

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:47 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

An even better performance, considering Damon was fighting an illegal car :whistling:

The thing damon referred to about an out of body experience on the final lap was something Senna used to talk about too
Maybe driving at the absolute limit has a kind of hypnotic effect on the mind and you have to put your mind in a complete, almost standby state to get the best out of yourself in terrible conditions.
Almost like you have to forget what you're doing in able to also forget what could happen if it goes wrong, and that allows you to drive at your best.

Not that we'll ever understand this ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
well that's now new considering Pirelli, in the 80's and early 90's they were also quite rubbish in F1, only 3 victories between 1981 and 1991

The Pirelli tyres were good. It's just that they didn't have contracts with the top teams. Same as Bridgestone in 1997

Scotty wrote:
A thought just occurred to me is that in 1975 or whenever Jones won, our national anthem was God Save the Queen (the British anthem). Don't know why they didn't play that.

Unless there's been some video editing going on, this suggests they played Advance Australia Fair. Sounds like a taped version (which was standard)

Almost as if AJ is full of shit...

That was dubbed afterwards. Advance Australia Fair didn't become the anthem until '84 and wasn't even first performed until '78.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:51 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

:8: :8: :8: :8:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GeorgeRussell63/status/1253029333742112768[/tweet]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 am 

British GP will not be held with any spectators if it happens :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:03 am 

France not happening at all

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GPFranceF1/status/1254681941053300742[/tweet]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:30 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1 released their plan for the 2020 calendar, with the season opening expected to be held in Austria on early July.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I saw some reports yesterday stating that starting next month the UK government is likely going to put measures in place meaning that everyone who enters the UK from overseas will be placed into mandatory 14 day quarantine upon re-entry & that this policy will likely remain in place for ‘quite some time’.

If that does end up happening I wonder how F1 would work around it, Especially if more countries start introducing similar measures as I believe some already have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

F1 couldn't work around it, not by itself at least. There would have to be at least 3 weeks between each GP as all the mechanics would be in quarantine for the 2 weeks from when they get back (usually the Monday or Tuesday after the race). They would be able to fit in only 11 races if they started as planned in Austria.

Rotating the mechanics wouldn't be an option because no team hires 'spare' mechanics - they only hire who they need. There will be some mechanics dedicated to the test team but nowhere near enough to be able to swap them in and out as needed.

The only way that the problem could be overcome is if governments followed the Czech example and allowed people in without quarantine if they could prove they had tested negative for the virus before they began their journey. But even in Czechia the only foreigners allowed in are students and businessmen from within the EU. Presumably this restriction will be lifted as time goes on assuming that there is no second spike.

Of course, if there is a second spike, then it is all moot and you can forget international sport for this year.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36123 Next