TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 4447 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dicksplaash wrote:
amq55 wrote:
Personal opinion:

Spoiler:
I honestly think he may have suffered some sort of spinal injury. The hit was right on top of his head, but I hope to be proven wrong.

If that is your "opinion", don't share it. Where you part of the medical team that took care of him? If not, come with confirmed facts or best wishes, not speculations.

Can't believe that has to be said AGAIN.

Hence the spoiler tag. Of course I hope everything is okay and it's all a big scare, but I rather put up an opinion with some thought, rather than just going "OMG he's dead" as a reaction to the crash. An opinion that I have only shared here, because I trust that we can talk about difficult subjects in this forum.

If the mods feel that it's too much of a sensitive topic, that's fine, but racing is dangerous and we know it and we should be capable of expressing opinions about the consequences of those dangers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:15 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I believe it’s the TBK tradition to speculate everything without knowing anything. This goes back to the great case of rgordon vs. the I-35W bridge. We need these posts to laugh about a decade later to process a tragedy.

I hope Newman makes a full and speedy recovery. But like with every accident thread, you gotta go back and read some of the BS every few years to remind yourself of the ridiculousness that was going on at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What I found interesting is how many of these big accidents are caused by desperate blocking in the final laps. Hamlin chose not to block Newman on the final lap, got himself straight back into the draft, and ended up winning the race.

I can understand why Newman was blocking all over the place. It's the last few hundred metres of the biggest race of the year, but unless they change the rules or the drivers actually realise they might get hurt, every plate race will keep ending like this.

I just hope Ryan is able to make a full recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dicksplaash wrote:
amq55 wrote:
Personal opinion:

Spoiler:
I honestly think he may have suffered some sort of spinal injury. The hit was right on top of his head, but I hope to be proven wrong.

If that is your "opinion", don't share it. Where you part of the medical team that took care of him? If not, come with confirmed facts or best wishes, not speculations.

Oh for fucks sake, best close the forum now and delete it if we cannot speculate on things or express and opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Are there any further official information on Ryan?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No updates and no timetable for updates, the official line is basically "when Ryan's doctors and family agree an update is necessary, they'll give one"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No news are good news, I guess...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:30 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

amq55 wrote:
Dicksplaash wrote:
amq55 wrote:
Personal opinion:

Spoiler:

Hence the spoiler tag. Of course I hope everything is okay and it's all a big scare, but I rather put up an opinion with some thought, rather than just going "OMG he's dead" as a reaction to the crash. An opinion that I have only shared here, because I trust that we can talk about difficult subjects in this forum.

If the mods feel that it's too much of a sensitive topic, that's fine, but racing is dangerous and we know it and we should be capable of expressing opinions about the consequences of those dangers.

If I remember correctly, Robert Wickens was also listed as "awake and alert, stable, but serious condition, no life threatening injuries" like Newman here. And when Newman's car got hit the way it did, it's quite easy to make this conclusion from the information available. The way I saw it that he made multiple big hits. 1st head on in the safer barrier, then almost instantly the 2nd that made rear axle bounce the car upside down, 3rd landing on its roof, 4th being the Lajoie hitting the car in absolutely the worst imaginable way sending him airborne to land on the 5th impact and sliding a long way, sparks probably flying inside the cockpit as well.

Still, hoping the best for Ryan and as for Wickens too, who still has a long recovery process going on.

Ian-S wrote:
No updates and no timetable for updates, the official line is basically "when Ryan's doctors and family agree an update is necessary, they'll give one"

So if this is as bad it looks and sounds, it might take few days before official update.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I fell asleep during the second half of the race cause I just couldn't stay up anymore. Was really shocked to see that Newman was hurt when I woke up and pulled up NASCAR.com to see what happened. It's not often nowadays that someone gets seriously hurt in NASCAR. Then I saw the crash. Horrible. He couldn't have been hit in a worse place. I'm fearing the worst for his injuries. Them covering the car with the screens, covering the stretcher with the screens, and just the overall lack of information coming out doesn't feel good at all. If you watch the aftermath video you can see it took them a long time to get him out of the car. I hope he's okay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There is another complication - Newman and his wife announced they were divorcing last Thursday.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
about time for nascar to ditch the yellow line rule and enforce a ban over excessive blocking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:47 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gabriel wrote:
No news are good news, I guess...

In this case it's quite the opposite imho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
about time for nascar to ditch the yellow line rule and enforce a ban over excessive blocking

newman's crash didnt really involve aggressive blocking. i mean, its not like blaney was at his quarterpanel or anything. newman got bumped fairly square, so if i had to guess i'd say newman was probably already making some kind of correction to the right when he got bumped from behind. shitty circumstances.

this incident isnt even a pack-racing issue. its basically a 3 car wreck with newman's car getting hit in the worst possible area. i could maybe see them finding ways to reinforce the cage around the driver, but the only other solution here is to stop racing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
yep, in motorsports today the only kind of crash they can't avoid major injuries are the t-bones, gets worse if you're in the air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

trout wrote:
it could maybe see them finding ways to reinforce the cage around the driver, but the only other solution here is to stop racing.

So Halo for NASCAR next then...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:01 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Take out the banking; the fans would howl and leave in droves.
Overregulate every race with blocking penalties; the fans would howl and leave in droves.
Eliminate GWC; more than half the plate races would end under yellow, and yes, the fans would howl and leave in droves.

NASCAR fully understands all of the above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

stick500 wrote:
Take out the banking; the fans would howl and leave in droves.
Overregulate every race with blocking penalties; the fans would howl and leave in droves.
Eliminate GWC; more than half the plate races would end under yellow, and yes, the fans would howl and leave in droves.

NASCAR fully understands all of the above.

Which is why they will change nothing.

Who knows, maybe this wreck will have the effect of making all the drivers pull their heads out of their asses. This could be the sort of shock that cleans up the driving in a way no rule could.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There was a statement from the RFR president, claiming that they'll inform any updates when available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Judging by this video:

Spoiler:

It appears they took Ryan out of his seat during the extraction out of the car.

30 seconds from time the car stopped to time safety crews put the fire out.

7 mins to get the car upright. Doctor was in the car basically the second it was righted. That 7 mins to get the car turned over is an eternity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The impact with LaJoie was obviously bad, but I kind of assumed it was only bad because of the location of the hit. But in that fan video you can see Corey laying on the ground clutching himself for a few moments after he got out. Guess it was a brutal impact regardless of the the angles/scenario. Devastating.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 4447 Next