TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91113 Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:32 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Kimi driving well, Kimi not having too many trophies to show for his recent efforts, and Kimi being past his best are all mutually exclusive things

I feel like Kimi has been performing well lately but perhaps that is looking at this with low expectations. The lack of race wins doesn't necessarily mean a number 2 driver isn't performing. Number 2 drivers in good cars often don't many win races because when their car is strong, the number 1 usually takes the win (you can see this with Patrese in 92, Barrichello in 2001, Webber in 2013). That doesn't mean the number 2 is driving badly - it just means the other guy is better

The fact is, though, that he's nearly 40 and isn't getting any faster. Even if he has been more focused since Vettel arrived, he's still not back at the sort of level he was driving at during 2003-2007. The interesting thing for me is that seemingly this is a rejection of the idea that Vettel is secure number 1 in the team - Kimi's ideal for that supporting role, and the fact that they are ditching him for a young guy with a high ceiling suggests they weren't after a solid number 2, unless they don't have the sort of expectations for Leclerc everyone else has

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Channel 4 to retain highlights of every race, plus live British Grand Prix, in 2019. Also they have to show some Sky TV content as part of the deal, heh: http://f1.channel4.com/news/channel-fou ... deal-2019/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
The interesting thing for me is that seemingly this is a rejection of the idea that Vettel is secure number 1 in the team - Kimi's ideal for that supporting role, and the fact that they are ditching him for a young guy with a high ceiling suggests they weren't after a solid number 2, unless they don't have the sort of expectations for Leclerc everyone else has

That's a good point especially if the rumors of Vettel prefering Kimi to stay were true.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
James B wrote:
The interesting thing for me is that seemingly this is a rejection of the idea that Vettel is secure number 1 in the team - Kimi's ideal for that supporting role, and the fact that they are ditching him for a young guy with a high ceiling suggests they weren't after a solid number 2, unless they don't have the sort of expectations for Leclerc everyone else has

That's a good point especially if the rumors of Vettel prefering Kimi to stay were true.

I don't know, let Leclerc grow for 1-2 years and prepare him fur full number 1 in 2020/2021 in case Vettel leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm 

Omega wrote:
webbsy wrote:
James B wrote:

I don't know, let Leclerc grow for 1-2 years and prepare him fur full number 1 in 2020/2021 in case Vettel leaves.

I can't help but feel this is one of those situations where Ferrari feel they are obliged to make the change, even if in theory it's not the best time - as if it's perhaps too soon for Leclerc to go up against Vettel, but they have to replace Kimi now, so they have to make the move earlier than they'd like. The thing is, no one's going to commit to Ferrari for just one season these days knowing they're going to bring Leclerc in for 2020 - I've just been listening to the Beyond The Grid episode with Webber and he says this is what put him off signing there for 2012, because it was a 1+1 and he knew that they were interested in other top drivers (and, I guess unbeknown to him, had plans for Bianchi too)

But I applaud Ferrari for making the call. I just wish it was more like the 70s and 80s when drivers generally signed shorter contracts, and teams and drivers were more willing to make risky moves. It's so utterly conservative now. I like Kimi but if this was 30 years ago he wouldn't have lasted more than two seasons back at Ferrari, because he hasn't had the results. But I guess having the same teams winning year after year creates this situation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I still believe the problem is more Mercedes winning than Ferrari losing. They should use more of their political power to make their way to world championship

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As a Kimi fan, I’m happy to see him continue in F1. Also a Sauber fan, so there’s my underdog for next year.

But what I like the most, is the fact that there are still drivers willing to race into their 40s, whatever their pace is. I like to see experienced drivers still having the urge to race, and have a go against the newcomers. We could see Kimi going wheel to wheel against a guy (Norris) that was what, 2 y/o when Kimi made his F1 debut? That’s interesting to see, and probably just seen in NASCAR, where some guys use to race even into their 50s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:45 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Omega wrote:
Could you please not compare me with Scotty?

I compared your commenting to scotty's. I'm not thinking you're a Karen here.

The way I see it Ferrari goes opportunistic now after having so many bad mistakes in the past. Maybe Ferrari is relying on the data they are getting from Leclerc's driving is convincing. Same way maybe when Wehrlein was compared to Ocon, look how that went for someone who was thought to be the next big thing. It took only about three races from Force India to see that Ocon is the driver they need to sign quickly. The huge difference is the timing when Wehrlein and Leclerc were at the Sauber, major difference.

And Kimi's Sauber deal is more than a golden handshake for his services. He's still going to get the same 10m€/season, Sauber is getting more resources and it's going to be a different team in the coming two years. The owners of Sauber are more welthier than Bernie and Strolovich combined. This is an investment on them and for teams future.

I've been following Kimi's career for 18 years now. It has never been easy. Don't call me blind fanboy just because I see the ways differently. I don't need Martin Brundle's opinion to form my own nor Finnish or International F1 media to tell me how it is. I know what to follow and when to get excited about F1, even during those dark years when only Kovalainen was there at the back of the grid.

The only time this season I've been excited for fellow Finns has been Baku and Monza. Before that I think it was last year in Hungary. These are rare occasions. But there has been some nice races even despite the halo, where I've enjoyed the action without Finns having a shot to win. For me the order is this, and has always been: On track action > Finns doing well. And lately, IndyCar > F1. And I'm happy that Alonso is going there.

You probably don't get it, but Räikkönen is a national treasure over here. The last time he won people went out on the streets and waved Finnish flags proudly. It didn't happen when Bottas won. Maybe Germans understand this when they compare the Schumi wins to Vettel wins. And maybe Alonso fans gets me too over here. The era is coming to an end, but there's new also coming up.

Sorry for these long posts, but I tried to see a positive future and someone had to be ass and call me a fanboy and twist what I was trying to say. You don't need to remind me to rub it on your face when we Finns get another 1998 season. Easy for British, German and Dutch people to be "over" this type of feelings when you have all great things going on year after year after year after year after year. Brits and Germans can't even remember all your wins from your lifetime or from the last two decades alone. And you nearly always get to hear your national anthem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:50 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gabriel wrote:
As a Kimi fan, I’m happy to see him continue in F1. Also a Sauber fan, so there’s my underdog for next year.

But what I like the most, is the fact that there are still drivers willing to race into their 40s, whatever their pace is. I like to see experienced drivers still having the urge to race, and have a go against the newcomers. We could see Kimi going wheel to wheel against a guy (Norris) that was what, 2 y/o when Kimi made his F1 debut? That’s interesting to see, and probably just seen in NASCAR, where some guys use to race even into their 50s.

I totally agree with you, Gab. I don't want F1 to become completely millenial kids hissy fit shit show. I want to see older drivers in the mix, like it has always been. After Alonso leaving, the 2nd oldest driver in the grid is Lewis Hamilton. Kimi is the only one left from the V10 era.

Norris was born at the end of 1999, just about a year later Kimi tested 2000 model year Sauber. Think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:36 pm 

I hope Kimi goes "full circle" with his helmet next year and resurrect his 2001 design

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Who is this Karen poster people keep referencing? Has she blocked me? :whistling:

I think Kimi's reputation has been harmed a bit by his last few years.
If he'd have not come back after his sabbatical he would've been lamented as one of the true missed greats of the sport, ditto if he'd retired after Lotus times.
Coming to Ferrari as number 2 to Alonso and then Vettel was never going to add to his championship tally, but he has probably been one of the best number 2's in F1 history if you think about it
Rubens, Massa and Webber have all had their moments when they got petulant and caused a public storm about moving over for their number 1, be it Austria 2002, Hockenheim 2010 or Malaysia 2013 (which apparently was caused as revenge from Vettel because Mark fought Sebastien and helped Alonso in Brazil 2012 according to Mark himself on the F1 podcast)
Kimi, despite occasionally asking for clarification on the radio, has never had that sort of moment.
I'm not saying being the best number 2 in F1 history is something anyone wants to be remembered by, but there it is.

For me, he'll always be the guy so stunningly quick at a young age they had to change the rule to allow him to race in 2001
Remember he had to race his first 4 races on probation because of his age? HA!

And Alonso would only be a 1 time champion if Mercedes could build a freaking reliable engine in the 00s.
How times change eh.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think LeClerc is ready. It's been a while since I've been so impressed with a young driver. It could be like Hamilton at McLaren, where he was instantly challenging the experienced team mate. It'll be interesting to see how Vettel reacts if he starts to get beaten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

That's the big question. Will Ferrari let him be beaten? Is Leclerc there to run number 2 until Vettel retires? Will Charles be happy with this arrangement

Unless someone manages to do a deep dig into their contracts, I guess we won't know until midway through next season.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
That's the big question. Will Ferrari let him be beaten?

Maybe not, but unlike Kimi, Leclerc could well be in a position to win races if Vettel has any problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I think what it comes down to is some people think the sport needs more characters like Kimi, results be damned, and for others, wins and championships are all that matter

The Kimi/Hunt/Berger type are needed imo. We all lament the lack of colourful characters then get outraged when they show emotion (or lack of emotion in kimi's case, I guess the lack of character is his character)

I'll miss Kimi when he retires, for his Mclaren/first ferrari era speed and for his 2nd stint sitcom character like antics in a world of corporate boredom.
Always a story.

And looking at it another way, he's had a better 2nd career than Micheal Schumacher, I guess. Just not as good as Lauda's

At least at Sauber he'll have the pressure off for results and we can enjoy the funny radio quotes without the guilt of thinking what someone else could do in that seat.

In the end though, leave Kimi alone. He knows what he's doing. ;)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gentlemen, I give you the Santino Ferrucci of the forum, Scotty, also known as Karen.

You can go cherry pick your evidence all day long, I can pick a few others.

Fastest lap record in F1 - Kimi Räikkönen
Over 100 podiums - Kimi Räikkönen
Most fastest laps of the race of active drivers - Kimi Räikkönen
Last Ferrari F1 world champion - Kimi Räikkönen
Best selling autobiography in Finland - Kimi Räikkönen

And to balance it out, Karen, fuck off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I still don't get the Karen thing. But I don't get most of what NVirkkula is saying. I've made my share of ragey belligerent defences of Webber and Ricciardo, but at a certain point you just need to let it go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've never been on Reddit, is this what it is like? Or is this just some pansy level stuff going on compared to there?

Oh, have you ever looked closely at Kimi's eyes??? Totally a Lizard Man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is "Karen" the female equivalent of being a "Kevin"? I can understand that.

As for Ferrari's strategy, that will be very quickly settled when Leclerc starts beating Vettel in Qualy. Qualy will settle this. They can tell him to hold position on race day, but there's no holding back a true talent from smashing that laptime, and Ferrari will soon favor the guy who brings the most points per dollar of salary.

EDIT: is there such a statistic? driver championship points per dollar of salary, or constructor points per team budget?

There should be a side-championship with that indicator. That could cut costs! no more spending 100 millions more just to finish first instead of third! Let me call Bernie Ecc... oh wait.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Gentlemen, I give you the Santino Ferrucci of the forum, Scotty, also known as Karen.

You can go cherry pick your evidence all day long, I can pick a few others.

Fastest lap record in F1 - Kimi Räikkönen
Over 100 podiums - Kimi Räikkönen
Most fastest laps of the race of active drivers - Kimi Räikkönen
Last Ferrari F1 world champion - Kimi Räikkönen
Best selling autobiography in Finland - Kimi Räikkönen

And to balance it out, Karen, fuck off.

Good god!! You sound like a Dutch person who discovered F1 3 years ago and automatically ejaculates whenever they hear the word Max and/or Verstappen. :yuk:

Kimi has been great in the past but thats just it, its the past. He would have been kicked out long before if it wasnt for what happend to Kubica and/or Bianchi.

I'm Dutch, I'm a massive Verstappen fan and I'm biased whenever it comes to him but I still can see he needs some sense slapped into him time to time.
You need to open your eyes and see the reality surrounding Kimi and stop being a blind fanboy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91113 Next