TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9050 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1210 211 212 213 214453 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

deggis wrote:
StanV wrote:
I for one mainly watch to see an exceptional bunch of cars driving around. The competition aspect is a bonus of course, but I really don't care if one or two cars don't 'belong' there. That's why I love multi-class 'racing', a large field of varied cars driving at each their own speed.

Subconsciously you know there is a race going on inside the classes, right? If you remove the race, then it will be just bunch of cars driving around.

Of course, but if 55 cars are driving in full competition, each within its respective class, then I really, really, really don't mind 1 car that's just driving around 'goalless'. I just don't see the problem, for me. Would you like it more if there were 5 Deltawings racing around in their own class?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

deggis wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
deggis wrote:
Unintentinally you just highlighted the problem, since it it doesn't actually race. Against other cars. In a class with other cars.

What the fuck does it matter?

For what reason you watch motorsport? Sounds like not for the racing... :wave:

Woodski wrote:
It races in P2/P1, so yes it will be racing other cars now.

Oops, actually forgot that this is already happening this year (remembered that only starting from 2014). Of course, ALMS' car count problems might have helped a bit accepting it and not forgetting that Don Panoz's opinion might have mattered a bit.

StanV wrote:
I can sort of see your point, deggis, but there are quite a lot of examples of cars who actually were in a class, but were just too shit to actually compete in it. They were virtually in a class of their own as well. The Lavaggi LS1 for example didn't "race" either because it was slow as hell and never got past the first three laps. That doesn't change the fact that I still loved the idea behind it and cheered whenever one did pass by.

Completely different. Just being slow is one thing, begging the organizers for a promotional class where one cannot really lose is another thing.

I especially despise Nissan for backing it (and even more now that they continue this...). Getting absurd levels of PR while completely avoiding actual competition.

I watch sportscar racing for the difference in cars. When I care so much about the ontrack racing, there's always IndyCar and stock cars. Way more on track action than a sportscar race.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

deggis wrote:
StanV wrote:
I for one mainly watch to see an exceptional bunch of cars driving around. The competition aspect is a bonus of course, but I really don't care if one or two cars don't 'belong' there. That's why I love multi-class 'racing', a large field of varied cars driving at each their own speed.

Subconsciously you know there is a race going on inside the classes, right? If you remove the race, then it will be just bunch of cars driving around.

For everything but the beginning and final 2 hours, that is exactly what sportscar racing is, with or without the DeltaWing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

deggis wrote:
Woodski wrote:
I don't remember anyone having a problem with the 911 Hybrid...

Because it was more hi-tech relatively, much more viable for its class, much more likely something that will be used in future in the class and more applicable to road cars. Also, it never got overexposure.

And, yes, also because it doesn't look like a giant phallus. :p

It had a KERS system. The only thing outstanding about it was that it was a flywheel KERS. KERS had been in use on and off the track by the time that car came into fruition. I fail to see how it was more impressive than the materials and general less is more concepts that the DeltaWing uses. No wings, 250HP non stressed 4 cylinder, front tires smaller than the one on my 240sx, advanced and recyclable carbon fiber. The DW has way more going for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
Of course, but if 55 cars are driving in full competition, each within its respective class, then I really, really, really don't mind 1 car that's just driving around 'goalless'. I just don't see the problem, for me. Would you like it more if there were 5 Deltawings racing around in their own class?

Little bit more, but only if it wasn't a DW spec class (neither technically or practically).

ptclaus98 wrote:
For everything but the beginning and final 2 hours, that is exactly what sportscar racing is, with or without the DeltaWing.

You didn't get it. If there was no race, there would no "final 2 hours". :p

ptclaus98 wrote:
It had a KERS system. The only thing outstanding about it was that it was a flywheel KERS. KERS had been in use on and off the track by the time that car came into fruition. I fail to see how it was more impressive than the materials and general less is more concepts that the DeltaWing uses. No wings, 250HP non stressed 4 cylinder, front tires smaller than the one on my 240sx, advanced and recyclable carbon fiber. The DW has way more going for it.

Similarly one can then say there is nothing groundbreaking in using lightweight composites. I'm not a huge believer in the road releavancy bullshit manufacturers like to put in their cheeky press releases, but for sure the DW's layout won't be much useful for real world sedans.

Actually I didn't say it was more impressive, because I would say DW is more impressive (I was impressed or surprised, because I expected it to fail miserably), but I still just don't like having it around. I would probably appreciate it more if it had never taken part any ACO race and would have stayed just some crazy project.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

deggis wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:

Similarly one can then say there is nothing groundbreaking in using lightweight composites. I'm not a huge believer in the road releavancy bullshit manufacturers like to put in their cheeky press releases, but for sure the DW's layout won't be much useful for real world sedans.

Actually I didn't say it was more impressive, because I would say DW is more impressive (I was impressed or surprised, because I expected it to fail miserably), but I still just don't like having it around. I would probably appreciate it more if it had never taken part any ACO race and would have stayed just some crazy project.

The layout won't, but recyclable carbon fiber is a huge step for the auto industry, and for a car with pace at such a high level to be running a non stressed four banger opens up the doors for the Koreans and any other emerging auto makers to come in and prove their product. Hell, you could see a turbocharged bike engined hybrid in one of these things. That'd be real interesting. That is, if they quit playing around and sold more of these cars to other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Unfortunately MotorsTV will be cutting away from Sebring for 2hrs from 4:30-6:30 to show a live AMA race from Daytona :x
http://www.motorstv.com/sites/default/files/contenu/pdf/prog/uk/20130316_20130322.pdf

At least they will be showing the finish live though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 pm 

deggis wrote:

:thumbsup:

DW only wasn't a complete fail because it runs out of regulations(massively underweighted, ground effects and etc).

The car is an engineering abomination(maybe they should add square wheels to it) and, to complete it's disgrace, it's the uggliest race car ever

DW, with no ground effect and 900Kg of weight, as other P1/P2 cars, even with same engine, will be absolutely trashed.

DW was always a PR gimmick and I deeply despise it

StefMeister wrote:
Unfortunately MotorsTV will be cutting away from Sebring for 2hrs from 4:30-6:30 to show a live AMA race from Daytona :x
http://www.motorstv.com/sites/default/files/contenu/pdf/prog/uk/20130316_20130322.pdf

At least they will be showing the finish live though.

At least we have Audi Tv to cover those 2hrs, even if only from the R18s' POV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm 

I give up because this reasoning pisses me off way too much. Let's hope they have a horrible wreck then, then you'll have your wish of it failing and never coming back. Jesus. Cannot believe I am reading this.

I'll get back to this topic once Sebring comes around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 pm 

Come on, man. Can't we dislike a car/project?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 am 

Of course you can! I disliked the Maserati MC12 and the teams using it when it was racing around in SRO series. But that doesn't mean that I wanted it and its teams to collapse or that I wished it never would have existed. Without it, it'd been a whole lot less interesting.

It's just the whole "I don't like it! I hope they do horribly and leave!" thing I don't get.

I rest my case, see you in Sebring :p

(at least we've added a couple of pages of spiciness to this thread now)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Come on, man. Can't we dislike a car/project?

As long as you aren't hypocritical about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Renault returning to Le Mans in 2014?

How epic will Le Mans next year be? Audi, Porsche (still don't know if/why VAG will support 2 Le Mans efforts), Toyota and Renault.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... o-le-mans/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOL at complaining about one car lessening "competition" in a multi-class racing series.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 am 

Fish88 wrote:
Renault returning to Le Mans in 2014?

How epic will Le Mans next year be? Audi, Porsche (still don't know if/why VAG will support 2 Le Mans efforts), Toyota and Renault.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... o-le-mans/

too good to be true, I'm afraid

Plus, in which facility would Renault design it's car? Enstone's doesn't belong to them anymore, they would need to "rent" a good one as Audi does with Sauber's, afaik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Did you actually read it... in LMP2 (initially)

LMP2 Powered by Renault-Nissan coalition, that can't be ideal in terms of politicking etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Surely with Nissan beginning to push into P1 soon, Renaults goal is just to replace Nissan in P2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

deggis wrote:

LMP2 Powered by Renault-Nissan coalition, that can't be ideal in terms of politicking etc.

With the new F1 V6 being compatible with LMP regulations a comeback could be pretty close. Still just speculating ofcourse.

Quote:
The engine supply deal is likely to lead to a full works LMP1 effort in the future possibly using the Renault RS34 Formula 1 power unit. Which complies with the 2014 LMP technical regulations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
deggis wrote:

With the new F1 V6 being compatible with LMP regulations a comeback could be pretty close. Still just speculating ofcourse.

Quote:
The engine supply deal is likely to lead to a full works LMP1 effort in the future possibly using the Renault RS34 Formula 1 power unit. Which complies with the 2014 LMP technical regulations.

You said "how epic it will be next year" ;)

The way I understand the rumor: LMP2 for 2014 and LMP1 at the earliest 2015 if ever... -1 year to both would mean pretty quick development time. :o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/renault-to-return-to-le-mans/

++ http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... pe-return/

One of the soures for this is a local newspaper. Announcement on Friday, at Le Mans. Hopefully less anti-climatic than Nissan's was.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9050 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1210 211 212 213 214453 Next