TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 54 Next

Your prediction for Fernando Alonso's race.
Winner. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
In comptetition for victory, but not quite there. 47%  47%  [ 36 ]
Not even close to the top drivers. 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
Retires due Honda. 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
In to the wall, rookie mistake. 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 76
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wasn't the sidepods but the whole car. Would have happened with any other openwheeler with that closing speed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
pretty funny

This was a great watch - obviously this is still at least 50% novelty for IndyCar, but you can tell he has really won them over watching this. He played it cool over next year, but I reckon he has two enormous tests now:

1. Rolling up in Canada and being swallowed up along the back straight
2. Looking at the data for next year's car and knowing how it will likely shape up

Seems pretty clear that Michael wants him back. He'll be watching his phone, I bet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 am 

Coldtyre wrote:
I think the "left turn only" argument doesn't really mean that, unless you're talking to a stubborn idiot. If you had a figure-eight oval with a long left turn and a similar radius righ turn, you know that people would still complain about the perceived monotony and repetitiveness of it, merely because the variety and challenge and driving skill and lane/corner differences and braking/acceleration/shifting aren't as obvious to the untrained eye as on a road track.

People watch the race, hear the engine sound, and relate to their everyday driving which makes them think that oval racing = motorway, and road racing = twisty country backroad. Motorsports fans know it isn't like that at all.

It's merely a problem of lack of information and lack of attention to the details, just like with all sports that you need to get into the details to appreciate what goes into them.

lol

I always laugh pretty hard everytime I see people saying how challenging driving on oval is, while trying to justify their appreciation of it

I'll not even get into the technical side of the things involved such as vehicle dynamics(and etc). From the actual drivers' experiences, many have already said how easy it is to drive on ovals and the adaption is very quick(for road course drivers) while, for oval racers, they may never adapt(be quick)to racing on normal circuits.

Alonso came in, tested a bit and was instantly on pace with the top drivers there. I think that was the same with JPM and many many others.

tbk's beloved Max Chilton is a very limited driver on "road courses" but even him was very competitive on Indy, the same for Rossi.

Road courses are infinitely more demanding and that should be instantly very clear even to the most untrained eyes, actually(at least for those that are good on math/geometry and physics). And if you think you have "trained eyed" and still believe oval racing to be super challenging(I'm not saying it doesn't have any challenge at all, but that it is far less demanding than road courses ), then your case is hopeless.

Last edited by Artur Craft on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
lol

I always laugh pretty hard everytime I see people saying how challenging driving on oval is, while trying to justify their appreciation of it

I'll not even get into the technical side of the things involved such as vehicle dynamics(and etc). From the actual drivers' experiences, many have already said how easy it is to drive on ovals and the adaption is very quick(for road course drivers) while, for oval racers, they may never adapt(be quick)to racing on normal circuits.

Alonso came in, tested a bit and was instantly on pace with the top drivers there. I think that was the same with JPM and many many others.

tbk's beloved Max Chilton is a very limited driver on "road courses" but even him was very competitive on Indy, the same for Rossi.

Road courses are infinitely more demanding and that should be instantly vey clear even to the most untrained eyes, actually. And if you think you have "trained eyed" and still believe oval racing to be super challenging, then your case is hopeless.

Guys you need to listen to Artur on this because he is an expert and definitely not a lame troll re-hashing lazy arguments.

I mean, consider how Max Chilton was indeed very competitive, and then reflect on how this is supported by the fact that every F1 refugee has almost won the 500. Every single one. Remember when Barrichello went stateside and smashed the field because it was so much less demanding? And Scott Speed, and Tomas Enge, and so on. Legends of the Brickyard, one and all. Your case is hopeless.

Please, please get into "the technical side of the things involved such as vehicle dynamics(and etc)". Those foolish left-turners won't even know what hit them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I started a reasonable, argumented response, but fuck that. Erase, restart. My post will be reported and I shall have a second official warning/1st limited ban or whatever the rules are nowadays, but mark my words: you're the worst fucking member on here. Whenever I see a comment that makes me feel like I'm in the worst darkest corners of Reddit or Youtube comment section, or feel that I'm talking to a clueless, bitter, moaning asshole, I don't need to glance at the left of my screen because I know that I'll see "Artur Craft".

edit: fuck this shit, I ain't finished. You come to the official discussion thread of a racing championship with ovals, at the end of one of the best / most historic editions of a 100-year tradition race, just to make a point about how bad the TV rates are and how the racing itself makes no sense, brings little challenge and is repetitive?

I don't give a shit what you think about this post, you will probably wave it off as a butt-hurt oval racing fan being offended that his lovely sport is attacked and justifying his interest for it. Let that be it. Move on, and keep entertaining and enlightning us with your view on the sport

Last edited by Coldtyre on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 am 

gkmotorsport wrote:

Guys you need to listen to Artur on this because he is an expert and definitely not a lame troll re-hashing lazy arguments.

I mean, consider how Max Chilton was indeed very competitive, and then reflect on how this is supported by the fact that every F1 refugee has almost won the 500. Every single one. Remember when Barrichello went stateside and smashed the field because it was so much less demanding? And Scott Speed, and Tomas Enge, and so on. Legends of the Brickyard, one and all. Your case is hopeless.

Please, please get into "the technical side of the things involved such as vehicle dynamics(and etc)". Those foolish left-turners won't even know what hit them.

I knew people would get butthurt. That's how it is. I was just being arrogant in the same way Coldtyre was

About the technical side of things. Let's start with this: do you know why a moving object changes it's direction? If you understood that it would already be a good start. Additionally, if you understood that the geometry of an oval corner is much easier to tackle than that of a sharper turn with multiple rapidly varying radii along it, it would also massively help.

Get bitter all you want, but the reality is that the "trained eye" should know how easy it is to drive on oval and not the opposite as Coltyre incorrectly claimed, something which he typically does with arrogance.

PS: Barrichello also talked about how easy(ier) it is to drive on ovals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What you don't understand you fucking condescending asshole, is that saying that an Indianapolis race looks like a looped .gif, is precisely the work of an untrained eye.

No, I don't know how an object changes its direction, and everyone knows that oval corners have constant radii and all 4 indy corners are the same. I never drove a single seater on an oval, and never raced a single seater on road courses, and didn't watch races for at least 20 years. I'm talking purely out of my ass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:33 am 

Coldtyre wrote:
I started a reasonable, argumented response, but fuck that. Erase, restart. My post will be reported and I shall have a second official warning/1st limited ban or whatever the rules are nowadays, but mark my words: you're the worst fucking member on here. Whenever I see a comment that makes me feel like I'm in the worst darkest corners of Reddit or Youtube comment section, or feel that I'm talking to a clueless, bitter, moaning asshole, I don't need to glance at the left of my screen because I know that I'll see "Artur Craft".

C'mon, no need for cursing nor hatred ;) can't you just be a little less arrogant with how you "reason"? It's not the first time I see you post some very dubious thing(to say the least) as if you were the cleverst person on earh and how everybody that doesn't see the things that you do are complete idiots. Maybe that's the problem, you don't see the arrogance on your post(s) just "reasonable, argumented responses"

Btw, I never reported anybody(other than a mod ), so why bring this up? You know nobody is gonna get banned because of this, right? and if someone did, it would be me because I don't fit in here while you're popular and your views of things are typically in agreement with the average member while I'm the hated twat/black sheep(that's ok, I'm not bothered by it).
Coldtyre wrote:
edit: fuck this shit, I ain't finished. You come to the official discussion thread of a racing championship with ovals, at the end of one of the best / most historic editions of a 100-year tradition race, just to make a point about how bad the TV rates are and how the racing itself makes no sense, brings little challenge and is repetitive?

The tv rating was a sad thing, I was expecting more and got frustrated to see the effect the Alonso appeal had. At the end, I expressed a personal opinion about ovals, in general, but that wasn't to bash the 2017 race but to justify why I didn't follow it.

The racing on ovals might be great but the driving on it isn't so demanding(compared to road courses, and that's not even a subject opinion), and that's why I don't follow it. You don't need to suggest I'm an idiot for using the term monotony to describe it.

The "just turn left" kind of comment was from reddit and I posted it to maybe explain why the ratings weren't that good, despite the presence of Fernando.

I don't know why you got so angry. People here already thinks I only say nonsense, so why did you bothered that much? :p and I mean that with the first post, to begin with. I mean, why did you need to say how it is less challenging for the "untrained eyes" ? Do you realised that you called anybody that doesn't see ovals as a big challenge an idiot, with that? It's actually very condescending of you to talk like that and I have already talked, through pms(not gonna say who), with other members how often you do that while discussing motorposts or politics.

After some nice couple of days without accessing the forum, it's frustrating to reach this situation.I'm gonna restrict myself from posting on the forum to avoid further disruption because many people can't stand me and, frankly, the forum is not very productive/usefull for me anyway except for a few members like deggis, Stefmeister(and a few others) whose opinions I value and respect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:00 am 

Coldtyre wrote:
What you don't understand you fucking condescending asshole, is that saying that an Indianapolis race looks like a looped .gif, is precisely the work of an untrained eye.

ok, I'm gonna just reply to this last one because I saw it after my previous post. The .gif thing was just some figuative speech. I'm sure some people can desbribe a race at Monaco as that too (I think the monotony of F1's last race is almost unanimous).

Well, there are many people out there who says racing, in general, is outright dumb (yes, many out there thinks we're are all morons for watching cars "simply being driven around"). I don't remember the typical saying but it's something like this: "just cars going around in circles", when casual people describe what racing is to them. I imagine how angry you'll be at some of those people who aren't fans of motorsports and says stuff like that :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Can we get back to talking about how fucking awesome the Indy 500 was and stop the bickering please? kthx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:17 pm 

Edit: Do not feed the troll

Last edited by electrodevo on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:21 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Did you not read the message above? Let's get this back on track and turning left with aplomb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I still can't believe Sato won. Following him since 2002 in f1 I would've never guessed he would be a future Indy 500 champ.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sato's always been a go-for-broke kind of driver I think. I can definitely respect that. He bit him in the ass once at Indy. This time, that balls out 3 wide pass to get into second was something to behold.

I feel for Helio and I agree with Robin Miller. That was one of the best drives of his career.

Great race. One that will be remembered with the other legends.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***

I guess it was the first time a winner is about the same height of the Borgwarner Trophy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:

I guess it was the first time a winner is about the same height of the Borgwarner Trophy

I think the next base extension is going to cause ego issues for jockey-sized drivers :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:56 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

iks wrote:
I still can't believe Sato won. Following him since 2002 in f1 I would've never guessed he would be a future Indy 500 champ.

Sato was awesome in BAR-Honda, when they got the most powerful (yet unreliable) V10 engine for qualifying trim back in 2004. His qualifying attempt for Canadian GP was as amazing to watch back in the day as it is today. You knew he could be in the front row or in the wall. Yet he managed to start with amazingly clean 1st sector, then immediately go full Gilles Villeneuve mode on sector two and plain overcook it in the last chicane, still missing the wall but spinning full 360 and finishing the lap and being still ahead of Minardi. That lap is probably the best single qualifying lap ever in F1, not because it's the fastest, but it shows everything what racing is all about. In just 1 minute and 17 seconds.

What's the point of having raw speed and not trying to push it over the limit? :mrgreen:

And if anyone thinks that anyone from F1 can come up to the Brickyard and win the most prestigious race ever just like that. Well, I quote something from the first post.
Tom Binford, long term chief steward wrote:
”At the Indianapolis 500, anything is possible. If you can avoid potential catastrophes, you will be succesful. This takes experience, steady nerves, and attention to both detail and attitude. Maybe even more than that, it takes luck, if not divine intervention.”

What makes Indy so special? Because it is not only about having the best car, the best driver and the best team on the best strategy what it takes. You need to be in the right place at the right time. You need help from your team mates at the right time. And you need luck, sometimes even on divine intervention levels. And you need patience too. Survive the first 100 laps is what Rick Mears once said. Sure, road racers might argue that it's easy to turn left all day, but they forgot that there's three wide start, only one hot lane in corners and always a good chance for drafting, either for fuel mileage or for passing, not forgetting the dirty air and speeds constantly over 300 km/h. You might be able to have perfect manouvering through all of that, but then the slower traffic or crash in front of you ruins your day. Then the underdog, who has just had a pace good enough to stay on the lead lap, avoiding all the fuzz and has been skilled and lucky enough to survive it through all the 800 turns is the one who can make it first to the checkered flag.

And that's what people love about it. There's a great build up, there's great talents, there's duels emmerging out of nowhere and duels that we expect, there's power house teams, there's the budget drivers and some driver you never know what might happen around them. Superstar or not, there's only one way to get your face on the Borg-Warner Trophy and there's only one shot every year. After that, get back in line for another attempt. You don't get a second chance, you have to take it and fight for it everytime you can. And maybe, just maybe, the fight is all worth of it in the end. So if anyone ever thinks that some one is not worthy for winning this race, just remember that there's only 69 different faces on that trophy out of hundreds and hundreds who have tried to make it, but just didn't have all what it takes to make it to the victory lane first. That day they missed their chance, but they immediately started to think when they can do it again and getting it right next time.

It isn't just a race, it is The Race. It is the perfect challenge for the talented drivers, teams, engineers, mechanics and the race fans around the world. That's why the race has survived over eleven decades and all the evolution of the world around it. And that's why people will pursuit to see what it's going to be next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This past running is a perfect example.

Some of the teams who had early trouble and were stuck in mid-pack rolled the dice on a fuel strategy to get track position. No one thought they had much of a chance (since they'd have to pit for fuel off sequence from the leaders) until the Racing Gods sprinkled some WTF over Speedway Indiana in the guise of a couple back to back yellows and then all of a sudden WAM, the strategy looked like it would work. In one hand giving those mid pack guys a shot by handing them much needed track position and in the other depriving it from the guys who had been fast all day at the front.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

TL DR all the last page, but some Nascar Oval stars started doing really fine on the road courses on their calendar, like Carl Edwards, he really went after the techniques and info required to go fast on a Road Course.

And Oval can be easy to adapt, but it's the same for ALL drivers on the field, the driver still makes the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
when all the cars are all the same, experience counts a lot. Roberto Moreno, in the last time he reliefed another driver in Indy 500 told that the engineer was doing everything wrong and that's why the driver before crashed a lot. He did his business as usual to get the pace

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 54 Next