PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:26 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

What a mess for the spectators.

We couldn't see a lot due to the adverstising boards/fences and we didn't have access to the inside of the track at all (only VIP). And there was (too) many spectators around the track.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Similar to what I'd heard for London, best to stay at home and watch it on TV, you see more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It never crossed my mind to visit a street circuit, even on TV you can see the spectators have a shit view. I can't think of 1 street circuit that has great viewing positions around the track. You only see a small part due to the buildings and fences.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:15 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Some are clearly better than others. I think one of the better ones is Long Beach, you can see quite a bit from the best stands on the front straight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The stands I sat on in the Porto circuit only allowed me to see the first corner and the run down to the second, but the more expensive stands allowed for a good view of 2-3 corners at least.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Toto87 wrote:
What a mess for the spectators.

We couldn't see a lot due to the adverstising boards/fences and we didn't have access to the inside of the track at all (only VIP). And there was (too) many spectators around the track.

I only really enjoyed free practice before everyone woke up and flooded the place making it difficult to get a good spot and move around. It was cool to hear the cars, see drivers trying to find their braking marks and apex points, and of course taking a good huff of burnt rubber which is always welcome.

As you said however, a lot of the standing area there along the straight was useless due to billboards on the fences, and giant TV screens (facing the VIP grandstands of course...). They could have given access to the inside grass no man's land in front of the pits to get to see drivers and teams working from closer.

Amazingly, depsite the big security setup, there was a huge flaw: the whole area around turn 8 was completely accessible without a ticket or security clearance. You could see the cars from really close at the hairpin. I avoided that place soon after Qualy started because it became a crowded mess and passageway for sneaking outsiders.

Finally, I agree that it's not ideal to be at a track to properly follow a street course race. However, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Rarely do you ever get this close to racing cars. Cars jumping on the brakes at 180kph in a city street a couple meters from you is terriying, and well worth the money/wait. I also enjoyed following the race old-school style, no live timing, no TV screen I could see, just getting a feel of the field and every driver's progression as they went by.

Turn 1 braking zone was the place to be during the race. Managed to squeeze by near the fence 75m from the turn, with a somewhat good view of the apex so it allowed to follow some of the great overtake attempts in the pack, the start (impressive!!), and of course the Sam Bird shennanigans. There's a big bump you couldn't see on TV and every time someone defended or attacked on the inside you'd see the car jerk with a loud thump. Must be because I've never been to a high-profile formula event but it's impressive.

And finally, it was Paris! As this form of racing isn't loud, one minute you're watching racing and the next you're sat at a quiet bistrot a couple blocks away to get some rest/food/drink before coming back for the next session. It felt a bit unreal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:06 pm 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

cookie wrote:
It never crossed my mind to visit a street circuit, even on TV you can see the spectators have a shit view. I can't think of 1 street circuit that has great viewing positions around the track. You only see a small part due to the buildings and fences.

You don't go to a street circuit for the views.
you go there for the atmosphere, the city vibes.
When I went to the Singapore race back when they ran with the V8, you could hear them from pretty much anywhere during the city. Watched the beginning of FP1 from the swimming pool on the last floor of my friend's flat, before taking the metro to the track. And from the standing zones you were just 2m away from the cars zooming by at 280kph.

Now, this works with loud engines. With electric cars, uhm...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:29 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Coldtyre resumed the event pretty well.

The practice was alright as a spectators, and it was nice walking around the circuit with not so many spectators so you can get a view of the best places to stand for later. Really cool to hear the cars and seeing past you at about 200 km/h, something you will never see anywhere else.

Next year can only be better (if there is a race), i guess the organizers understood the message with all the reports on the web. Need more security, less advertising boards, and more flexibility for the spectators who have tickets so they can go to the paddock or don't have to exit the track, walk 1.5 km, to go to the evillage.

The fans who didn't pay for the tickets had a better view than us too (meaning there was no security/ticket checks at some places)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Toto87 wrote:
Coldtyre resumed the event pretty well.

The practice was alright as a spectators, and it was nice walking around the circuit with not so many spectators so you can get a view of the best places to stand for later. Really cool to hear the cars and seeing past you at about 200 km/h, something you will never see anywhere else.

Next year can only be better (if there is a race), i guess the organizers understood the message with all the reports on the web. Need more security, less advertising boards, and more flexibility for the spectators who have tickets so they can go to the paddock or don't have to exit the track, walk 1.5 km, to go to the evillage.

The fans who didn't pay for the tickets had a better view than us too (meaning there was no security/ticket checks at some places)

someone has heard you :p