TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1559 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
RtN wrote:
Quote:
Powell remains determined to become the first successful female in Formula 1.

As much as I could write about how unlikely it is that someone at Alice's level will even make it to F1, what exactly quantifies 'successful'?

Slightly disrespectful to Lella Lombardi and Desire Wilson.

I think being in a half decent car and regularly scoring points. Lombardi only scored her half point by reaching the finish line in a race where very few did. Of course she didn't have the best car so it's difficult to judge. In terms of females in motor racing, she obviously has some very impressive stats, but I assume the article is talking about outright success, not gender related success.

The problem with that is that to even get into a half-decent car in F1 you need to be part of a driver stable (Red Bull Development, Ferrari Development, McLaren Young Driver, Gravity or Mercedes) or you need to win or be extremely competitive in GP2.

Gaara and I discussed this in the F1 RDT a few weeks ago. There are so few opportunities for anyone not in one of these programmes it almost isn't worth it.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I completely agree with you. I just wish I had endless funds to donate to talented drivers who aren't fortunate enough to be in one of those groups, or have a super rich daddy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:00 pm 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

I find btcc moderately enjoyable, but trying to make others look silly more so. :p

Last edited by glorfindel on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7082

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Use the Brands thread :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Andy Neate's gone on the rampage on the BTCC forum, quite correct too

Quote:
And let's be honest here; so James, George, Neate, Griffin, Hughes etc aren't out there winning races or championships...but if you where in there place wouldn't you be out there doing the same? I know if I had the chance to go out and race in the BTCC I wouldn't pass it up - even if that means finishing 15th on a regular basis!

"Okay with respect to those mentioned Chris James, John george, Liam etc I'm astounded to have my calibre of driving asssociated with these guys. You have your right to your opinion but it shows how uneducated it is. Are you really serious?

My team mate TOC an immensely talented, respected & experienced touring car driver up until the weekend hasn't had any better results than me in our car, with exception to a few occasions where TC has used his 10 years andexperience and wrung the neck to get some results during the season in a car that has simply not been what we expected or had hoped. The past two race weekends on average I have been the fastest AON driver, at the Rock in quali and in race one & two. At Brands in race trim, I had the fastest Indy lap overall and again the fastest driver in our team in race 2 & 3. In race 3 ok I choaked with 2 laps to go as finishing on the podium in one of the toughest touring car series in the world isn't easy, the realisation I had driven my heart out and I had it in the bag got to me and I made a mistake! However I'll pick myself up and learn from it.

Bottom line I've proved I can run at the front with the very best, and when things are good be a match for my experienced highly talented team mates, I'm nowhere near the finished article but my speed and potential is there to see unless you just choose not too because that is your opinion or you just choose not to look at any of my positives..... Again the aforementioned probably could not achieve the results and perfomamces I put in, in there own respective teams and to put me in their bracket in a nonsense and again as a trend on this ****** forum an insult.

Frankly it is upsetting and annoying to read some of the **** on these forums sometimes because simply some of you are just insulting and don't understand the sport nor have an appreciation for what goes on. This Star Donkey thing is a good example, yes its a bit of fun but it always gets out of hand and again transpires into insults. OK I missed that chance to acheive that massive acheivement at the weekend but one day it will come and then the results in a machine capabel of acheiving the best will come like the preverbial bus I'm sure. Top names in the sport have reminded me of this after the weekend because each and every one of them have been there. Some of these big names came see my potential and it's their opinion I care for. Everyone has told me it's that first one is the hardest but to hear some of these guys say to me they can see it will come means a lot.....

I know what I am capable of, so do the team and so do the people that know me and have watched me win races many times over the long hard slog it has taken me to achieve my goal of making it to the BTCC in the first place. Am I a Jason Plato, Matt Neal etc etc. No quite obviously not but I have the potential to maybe achieve a small slice of what they have. As do the majority of the others on that grid, nearly every one of the drivers in the BTCC are great fast drivers. Forget the money side of things as although the BTCC is on a smaller scale that is the same process right upto F1, nearly every driver in that series is a championship or race winner in the junior ranks and deserves their shot.

If not this year I will get on that podium and win a race in the BTCC. First of all I'll need to beat the other 29 drivers out there, but as a few of you lot on here think.....Ahh that's a doddle, ****** Donkeys!! "

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, that was rather angry.

I do remember seeing Neate winning races in other club championships a few years ago, so he's not completely useless. I suppose there have been occasions where he's shown pretty good pace and failed to get a result out of it, but I was more worried about some of his stupid moves. At Donington he spun a car on the straight, nearly turned someone down the Craner's, and then crashed heavily going under the bridge. I do think he'll progress into someone who can score points regularly, but I believe Chilton and Onslow-Cole are still a class above.

As for the original argument, of course I would be racing in the BTCC if I had the money but not the talent of the top guys. You need underdogs like Chris James and John George. If they're keeping someone really good out of a seat then that's another argument, but if they're funding their own drives then good luck to them. James is on a shoe string budget with zero testing miles so I expect he'll get better if he comes back next year. And I think Lea Wood performs fantastically in that ancient Integra. One look at that team's transporter compared to the Honda/Chevy ones will tell you how little money they're racing with!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Neate's got a point and fair play for putting some people in their place, but it does show he's a little insecure if he's getting upset at the ramblings of a bunch of keyboard warriors.

If he is comparable with anyone, I'd say it was Phil Bennett. A reasonable racer who managed to get a few decent results but carelessly wreckless on his day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Neate being as classy as ever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wonder what the chances of Honda and Chevy bringing in another car each for Silverstone. Thomson in a Honda and Menu or Huff in the Chevy?

Currently, we have 30 cars, so full grid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What would happen if we had 33 cars, and then Plato fails to set a time in qualifying? *angel smiley*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They'll withdraw one of the other Chevy's obviously :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
What would happen if we had 33 cars, and then Plato fails to set a time in qualifying? *angel smiley*

Only Chuck Norris would be able to save all of humanity from Plato's rage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anyone going to Silverstone? Kind of tempted now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Nope. Korean Grand Prix + Uni work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh yeah. BTCC normally avoids F1 weekends. I may be able to get a hospitality pass though, and don't want to turn that chance down. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah thats quite cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
Uni work.

Aren't you a fresher? You're not supposed to do any work until half-way throught the 1st term at the very earliest!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Isn't work for the people that get a First? :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well yeah, but I don't wanna get behind at all.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1559 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78 Next