TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3606 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1128 129 130 131 132181 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:44 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

cambridge wrote:
the rescue video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbQCjh2 ... r_embedded

it's sad cause you can also see his father there

They had a red flag, all the time in the world and they do that? Just awful, clearly he had serious injuries they should have been ultra careful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thats just sick :x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Oh my god I have no words for this. For a father, that's the most HORRIBLE HORRIBLE thing you can do, carry your injured beloved son. This is VERY cruel. VERY cruel. I would have ran to the scene to help too and see my son alive, but that's really horrible. Just imagine Paulo his father seeing his son with his heart stopped, injured. That must me awful. Poor family, I hope they can ever accept and restart their life after that tragedy :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Absolutely appalling. The crash was bad enough, but the preposterous "rescue" is inexcusable. It's really not that hard to get a professional safety crew together. Personally, I've always thought MotoGP was too gun shy on throwing the red. They did well in that respect this time, but there are many other big crashes in the past where the race was not stopped and it probably should have.

RIP Marco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just came back from week-end, where I didn't have internet. I just got the news, that's simply terrible. What an horrible week. After Las Vegas tragedy, now this.
I was not a big fan of Marco Simoncelli, and I was one of those who thought he would cause a nasty crash because of his aggresive drive. But I feel bad and very sad. What happened to him is fatality, and he couldn't do anything. That accident can happened in every corner of every racetrack. Rossi and Edwards are probably feeling very bad, but it's not their fault too. None of them could avoid Simoncelli, it has to happen.

I'm devasted. Terrible week for Motorsports.

RIP, Marco.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
They had a red flag, all the time in the world and they do that? Just awful, clearly he had serious injuries they should have been ultra careful.

The marshall's would have been acting under orders, in this case given the ambulance is there, the orders were, as far as i can tell, to get Marco into the ambulance and off to the medical centre as fast as possible given the seriousness of the accident.

---

On a general note. While it is an awful site seeing the marshall's drop Marco, calls earlier in the thread to They need to stop hiring volunteer marshalls if that's what they do and maintain a professional team of traveling medical experts like CART used to do" is completely unworkable.

There was a team of professional medical experts in the ambulance and in the medical centre.

Track marshall's are completely different, and all around the world track marshall's are volunteers, even at Formula 1 GP's. Motorsport around the world would not exist without these people (and motorsport wouldn't exist if every marshall was required to be paid a wage)

Heartbreaking footage of Marco's dad :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The problem is a lot of these marshals don't do it that often - in Europe, the major tracks have events almost every week and a lot of them major, international series. In countries like Malaysia, they have very few events.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dorna might cancel the last race (not enough bikes as Gresini has pulled out, Edwards will probably be injured and god knows what Rossi must be going through). Moto2 & 125cc would go ahead though

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Wonder what contractual ramifications that would have though, but if all teams agreed to it then I couldn't see it being an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:45 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95662

Dato' Mokhzani Mahathir, Sepang chairman wrote:
"At the race on Sunday, circuit personnel acted speedily and professionally to attend to Marco as soon as the accident happened."

Don't give me that crap. :yuk:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why do MotoGP and F1 not have a safety crew of their own at each track? Indycar and Nascar have this and they arrive at the scene only seconds after a crash and know what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

phil1993 wrote:
Dorna might cancel the last race (not enough bikes as Gresini has pulled out, Edwards will probably be injured and god knows what Rossi must be going through).

Is there a link to this?

Its one thing to cancel the race that the crash happened in, but to cancel the next race meeting as well?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's reported in Italian media.

I think their point is perhaps because
a) What happened
b) Low grid numbers - Probably 13 bikes
c) Nothing to fight for

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:54 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

phil1993 wrote:
It's reported in Italian media.

I think their point is perhaps because
a) What happened
b) Low grid numbers - Probably 13 bikes
c) Nothing to fight for

thanks for that..... it would certainly be an interesting decision (i personally will admit i was surprised neither the Vegas Indycar nor the Malaysian MotoGP races weren't restarted, given the procedures of the past)

a) that happened in the Malaysian GP
b) 13 bikes is still enough to have a race, in honour of Marco if nothing else
c) There is a GP win to fight for surely?

With deepest sympathies to all involved, the world does keep on turning, and races will continue to be held. Waiting until next April won't make it any easier the next time the riders grid up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just to be clear since it keeps coming up, NASCAR DOES NOT have a traveling safety crew. I believe what they have is a director of medical services, or something of that nature. Indycar and a few other major U.S. series (ALMS and NHRA come to mind) have traveling safety crews but NASCAR does not.

F1 has a traveling group of doctors in the medical car. I tend to agree that it would be difficult to institue a professional safety crew for motorcyle racing due to the nature of how the race plays out. Without the aid of a safety car, which would be ridiculous, the only alternative would be to immediately red flag the race in the event of a serious crash. That would allow one of, say three medical cars positioned at different points around the circuit, to respond to an accident in a timely fashion, 30 seconds or less being ideal if there are serious injuries. However, while I believe such a system could be implemented and work, it would lead to far more race stoppages which then leads to a host of other problems.

I highlight Ralf Shumachers crash in 2004 at Indy of the problem with one medical car at one spot on the track having to go around the entire distance to reach the crash site. Ralf went unattended for at least a solid 1:30 due to the location of the crash and the location of the medical car. Having more than one would reduce that time.

Such a system could be implemented for motorcycle racing, but it would not be easy and the logistics would change the way a race plays out as you'd have more red flags and more races of two parts (or more depending.) Whether that's something the teams, DORNA, fans and everyone else can live with is anyones guess.

As for the final race of the year, I feel they should race. It would help the riders get passed this ugly weekend. Racing always helps, which is something that was discussed with Dan's crash because it was the last race of the year. The other drivers have all off season to contemplate it instead of having to get back to the job at hand.

Godspeed Marco. You brought a much needed flare of the unexpected to an otherwise bland season. RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

to have a complete motogp marshall crew following the championship i guess you have to pick at least 100 marshall ( you need at least 3 times the marshalls you would need for a car race ) , wich if you have to pay them it's probably 1500$ a month each + the hotels + the flights and they only would work 3 days a week every two week for about 8 months a year. That would cost about 2 million dollars a year. compare it with volounteers from every country wich cost 0$ and you have the answer.

and about the safety crew, there is clinica mobile with the motogp, obviously they relay on local ambulances and ambulance's crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If cost is a problem, it's simple: Either train thoroughly all the marshalls, or simply look at what training they have, and if Dorna doesn't think its enough, send it's own crew out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Nice words from his father
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95668

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What a legend that guy is. Pretty easy to see why his son grew up to be so awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Huge respect to Marco's father. I wouldn't be able to put words on this already. And with such a style. No anger, no hate, just peace and hope. Huge respect !

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3606 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1128 129 130 131 132181 Next