TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17

Stewart or Edwards for the Cup?
Poll ended at Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 am
Stewart 78%  78%  [ 29 ]
Edwards 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Someone Else 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 37
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

highgroove wrote:
Stock car racing wasn't born from fighting...

You're right, but it was born from not taking shit from anyone, and if that means using your fists, so be it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I get what your saying though...Nascar's agenda is pretty fucked up right now, trying to hard to recapture the large audience and fan support it once had. This whole "have it it boys" attitude has been a fail from the moment they announced it.

Everytime someone's had a dissagreement on the track they mostly use there cars to do there fighting rather than resorting to fisty cuffs and now it's all gone to shit. Have the drivers taken it too far? or was Nascar just unsure of what it really wanted this "attitude" change?

Is the fan's fault that they can't have there cake and eat it to? or the govening body not being decisive or direct enough? Hard to say really. Now shit's hit the fan, (several times this season actually BKez could have been killed at Atlanta, among other things) and now their idea has taken off in ways they didn't really expect, or to another extent the fans reaction's to the on track displays, and now they dont know which way to go about handling it so are just threatening to suspend drivers indeffinatly?

It's funny how much of a difference 12 months make, and this all came about from people saying how drivers wern't showing enough emotion. What's funny tho, is, all that's come from this, is a driver, a potential champion, has lost not only his major sponsor, but maybe his only oppertunity to win a crown.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:04 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

The whole "Boys, have at it" doctrine sounds like a very good idea and many of us (myself included) thought "oh wow, returns of mass brawls on pit road? Hell fucking yes!"

Then Atlanta happened. And NASCAR's failure to hold the reigns. Really, NASCAR did this to themselves (although fan pressure has something to do with it) when they put Earl on probation--which, by the way, means jack shit--for three races, basically saying "alright, go ahead and maim each other on the track, we don't care. We want ratings."

Gateway happened, and NASCAR tightened the reigns a little, docking Carl 50 points (or was it 59? All I know is that that was huge in the NBS championship). However, they also dropped the ball when they put Brad Keselowski on probation for the rest of the year, basically saying that Brad isn't allowed to do something he might do, since NASCAR has apparently never heard of hindsight.

Kyle began to push the envelope a little bit starting with Darlington, when he retaliated against Kevin Harvick. Harvick was going to have a few nice words with Kyle, but he chose flight instead of fight. Who knows, maybe Harvick could throw a punch in there. Maybe he'll just point at him, saying "do that again to me and I'll make sure you don't finish that race." Who the hell knows? Then Bristol happened with Elliot Sadler and NASCAR didn't do anything about it IIRC. And then...there's Texas. I don't think I need to describe what happened since it was covered in this thread.

That, right there, was too far in NASCAR's mind. To be honest, the whole doctrine could have worked if NASCAR suspended Carl for even one race (maybe 3). This tells the drivers that they can confront each other, but don't use the cars as weapons. Auto racing is a dangerous sport as it is already. They shouldn't add more unnecessary danger in this sport. These are human beings we're seeing on the track week-in and week-out and it would totally suck if one of those get taken away just because someone else decided to be an asshat for an earlier wreck and blatantly took still another out.

And no, I still don't buy the whole COT MAKES DRIVERS SUPERHUMAN argument.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17