TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Not to mention IndyCar has fallen so far off the map that the IMS needs NASCAR more than NASCAR needs them.

And that's why NASCAR's fucking around, to take the Hulmans to the brink of disaster.

It's no secret that ISC would like to buy Indy. As long as Mary is alive that'll never happen, but she's not immortal...

If Indycar was as strong today as it was in 1993, I'd say that I agree for the most part with that article. However, it's not, and the coffers have been depleted with stupidity over the years. All in all, I'd just as soon NASCAR pack up shop and leave... Well, actually no. I'd just as soon that the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400 be the only two races at the track. Grand-Am, Nationwide, MotoGP, even F1 really have no and had no place at the speedway.

As for the race... Fell asleep with 20 to go after turning it on at halfway. ESPN calling the spin and landscaping work "The Big One" is a microcosm of all that is wrong with their coverage and their belief of what they're audience is looking for. Or perhaps, that is what their audience is looking for and NASCAR is doomed to Pro Wrestling standards of "Sports Entertainment."

I'll just play NR2003 with the 1994 carset and pretend it's a real race. Properly configured .ini files can yield some good racing with the AI.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Personally thought that the finish was awesome. Not a huge fan of NASCAR at Indy but it wasn't the worst race. Menard drove a great race and was a deserving winner. I would have put money on him or Ambrose being the next first time winner anyway. Driven really well over the past season or 2.

I think Paul realises he is fortunate, he is thankful, and just enjoying racing. I think that's all you can ask from somebody with that much money. It's not as if he has an attitude like Kyle. Don't understand the hate...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Personally thought that the finish was awesome. Not a huge fan of NASCAR at Indy but it wasn't the worst race. Menard drove a great race and was a deserving winner. I would have put money on him or Ambrose being the next first time winner anyway. Driven really well over the past season or 2.

I think Paul realises he is fortunate, he is thankful, and just enjoying racing. I think that's all you can ask from somebody with that much money. It's not as if he has an attitude like Kyle. Don't understand the hate...

Nor do I. I have no problem with Paul winning. He was near the front for at least most of the second half of the race that I saw and had to avoid the Cassil/Khane shimozel (sp?) and Kenseth nudging him out of the way. Even if you've got more money than God, if you don't perform you don't keep your drive. He did what was required to win on Sunday. Played the strategy they were dealt and made it work where others did not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To be fair... this was Ed Hinton's first race back after his wife passed... I'm sure his emotions are not all in check.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't get the resentment toward Paul. Not everyone can be a winner on Sunday and feed cows on Monday, lol. Just because he was born into money is not his fault. The more important thing is he's always been a humble and clean driver who kept improving and improving and it finally came through for him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
Ive always liked Paul Menard :) lol save big money at menards! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shane wrote:
If your dad owned some huge chain of stores and said "hey you wanna go racing? We can put the company name on the car so you don't have to worry about sponsorship" im pretty sure most of you would say "fuck yeah."

And then he'd say "We're gonna paint the car shit-ass hi-liter yellow"...and I'd be like "Meh". Bit of a deal breaker there.

I'm only kidding, of course I'd race!

I don't mind Menard winning, beats Busch/Johnson/Edwards winning it. Anyone else due for a first win soon?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeff wrote:
Anyone else due for a first win soon?

Ambrose, for one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd be willing to put money on Ambrose winning at Watkins Glen in a few weeks. Every time he has gone there in Cup he has finished 2nd or 3rd.

As far as Menard winning, it's sunk in a bit and others are right in that it's way better than Hamlin/Johnson/Edwards/Busch winning. I just couldn't find myself to get as excited for him winning as I did for Regan Smith and Trevor Bayne earlier this year. (I felt similar to Menard as I did for Ragan this year. Sort of a "Well, alright. Good for them." apathy.) Perhaps it's to do with their personalities, and/or their racing history. (Like Regan losing to Tony Stewart at Talladega a few years prior in a questionable call. I was quite happy to see him get redemption at Darlington of all places.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Temiree wrote:
(Like Regan losing to Tony Stewart at Talladega a few years prior in a questionable call. I was quite happy to see him get redemption at Darlington of all places.)

And where Tony doesn't have a Cup win yet. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't understand all the hate for the fuel mileage races: the racing has been crap for the last 4 years, so fuel mileage ending is the only entertaining moment of a NASCAR race. To me at least.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18