TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21190 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1443 444 445 446 4471060 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That sucks. :x

Although, if anyone on this board was at the '05 U.S. Grand Prix, I think they'd be the most disappointed\pissed off\out of hard-earned money for nothin' (and the chicks for free). :tumble:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

ellis wrote:
I can beat that. I went to Donington Park in 2005 for the opening round of the BTCC. Only 9 cars showed up, there were bugger all support races, and there was a blizzard (in April). We left a day early. We paid to watch 9 cars, one of which was a Lexus that was so untested that it broke on the formation lap and was 10 seconds a lap slower when it was working.

Wrong. 12 cars showed up, the Lexus didn't break down on the formation lap and was only 4-5 secs. off the pace, and there were 5 support series racing.

As for NASCAR, 1 race per day is terrible value for money, no wonder the stands are so empty. I certainly wouldn't drive to a track to see a 3 hour race and then go straight home afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pimmy wrote:
As for NASCAR, 1 race per day is terrible value for money, no wonder the stands are so empty. I certainly wouldn't drive to a track to see a 3 hour race and then go straight home afterwards.

I thought it was interesting when I read a piece by Jeff Gluck at sbnation.com when they had him cover the IndyCar race at St. Pete even though he's normally a NASCAR writer. He actually COMPLAINED about having support races the same day as the IndyCar race, saying that it took away from the main event and diminished it somehow. I totally disagree with that idea -- the more races, the better. Keep me entertained with cars on track all day, please!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Id be all for having a East or west race the morning of a race at certain tracks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Its not like the first hour of a NASCAR race is that important anyway.

NASCAR'S great on TV but I dunno whether I'd ever want to go see it at the track for all the reasons stated above.

Though I guess avoiding the ESPN/ABC/Anyone who isn't FOX coverage could be seen as a plus.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:47 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

codename_47 wrote:

No, but anything can happen. Jimmie could get taken out on the tenth lap. Twenty-six cars could wreck on the backstretch at Dover on the opening lap.

Post subject: Random NASCAR Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

pimmy wrote:
ellis wrote:
I can beat that. I went to Donington Park in 2005 for the opening round of the BTCC. Only 9 cars showed up, there were bugger all support races, and there was a blizzard (in April). We left a day early. We paid to watch 9 cars, one of which was a Lexus that was so untested that it broke on the formation lap and was 10 seconds a lap slower when it was working.

Wrong. 12 cars showed up, the Lexus didn't break down on the formation lap and was only 4-5 secs. off the pace, and there were 5 support series racing

Not wrong at all. The Lexus broke on the recon lap to the grid in race 1 then broke again on the formation lap before continuing. I was standing 10 feet from it happening, both times. It was then given pole position for race 2 in the reverse top 10 and pitted on the formation lap to avoid the embarrassment of going from first to last in 1 corner.It was easily more than 10 seconds a lap slower than the others for the majority of the weekend. The 5 support races were also sparse and poor to watch. It was a disgrace of a weekend to be a trackside fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How did BTCC manage that?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:

NASCAR'S great on TV but I dunno whether I'd ever want to go see it at the track for all the reasons stated above.

Though I guess avoiding the ESPN/ABC/Anyone who isn't FOX coverage could be seen as a plus.

At the track is miles better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:31 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Shane wrote:
How did BTCC manage that?

Rough times between rule changes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

NASCAR races in person are amazing tbh. There is a lot of stuff to do outside the track before the races (sponsor booths, simulators, standing in line for hours to get autographs) and the atmosphere during a race is great. I don't know about other tracks, but I've been to Infineon (2006 and going back this year) Talladega (in 2007). Talladega is basically a weekend long party book-ended by a race.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have had many friends, who won't watch one lap at home, come with me countless times to races because of the atmosphere. We all attended the All Star race from 2006-2011. Started with 4 of us and in 2010 we had 25. Tailgating started at 8am and lasted till we would go in at 6:30pm then we would do a little post race tailgating and finally leaving the speedway at 1 or 2am.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 pm 

Starlancer wrote:
NASCAR races in person are amazing tbh. There is a lot of stuff to do outside the track before the races (sponsor booths, simulators, standing in line for hours to get autographs) and the atmosphere during a race is great. I don't know about other tracks, but I've been to Infineon (2006 and going back this year) Talladega (in 2007). Talladega is basically a weekend long party book-ended by a race.

Talladega was awesome, went to the fall race last year and was at Homestead 2010. Both amazing experiences, words cannot explain how much it is better than sitting at home watching them on TV.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woodski wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

At the track is miles better.

From personal experience, it always is. Doesn't matter where or what series it is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am 

Location: Columbus, OH [Member since Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:51 am ]
ApexBoner wrote:
Starlancer wrote:

Talladega was awesome, went to the fall race last year and was at Homestead 2010. Both amazing experiences, words cannot explain how much it is better than sitting at home watching them on TV.

Yeah, my trip to Talladega in spring 2006 was absolutely a blast! The party in the campgrounds was insane, easily one of the best racing experiences I've had. Can't wait to go back some time again!

PS Tony Stewart flipped right in from of me in the tri-oval during the Busch race too! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Did speedweeks in 05' it was amazin!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Going back to the "preliminary races the morning of the main event" thing, last year at Pocono was one of the best days EVER at the track for me in the 17 races I've ever attended.

Get to the track at 8:00am on Sunday; instead of farting around tailgating (hard to do when you don't have a tailgate, or a grill), just walk to the track for the completion of the rained out Truck race; wait about 30 minutes, watch the entire rain delayed ARCA race (with some airbornez); wait about 45 minutes, then the Cup race starts.

I often find waiting for a Cup race to start to be one of the more dull parts of a race weekend, but I could definitely see myself getting used to that schedule. Can't see how Jeff Gluck can call himself a follower of the sport in general if he *complains* about too much racing, IndyCar, F1, whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

There's plenty of series/divisions that could run, depending on the track. There's all sorts of sportscars/SCCA/open-wheel classes that would kill for the exposure they'd get from a road course, plus there's ARCA, K&N, Whelen mods and such for the oval events.

I'd be willing to trade an Nationwide event for an Indycar weekend somewhere for an Indy Lights race at a Cup weekend, just to see how it'd work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They probably don't do it for the same reason Formula 1 resisted for so long - can't have the support races putting on better races than the main event.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:02 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Quote:
An aspiring stock-car driver is suing NASCAR, claiming he was denied the opportunity to compete in NASCAR's diversity program because he looks "too Caucasian." NASCAR argues that in trying to change the "face" of the sport, it has the right to select drivers for its diversity program based on skin color, attorneys for the sanctioning body and its former diversity program administrators have told a U.S. District court. Michael Rodriguez, a driver from Pennsylvania, says in his complaint filed in U.S. District Court that he was denied the opportunity to compete in the 2005 and 2006 Drive For Diversity combines. Rodriguez is suing NASCAR and Access Communications, which operated NASCAR's diversity program from its inception in 2004 until 2008 and conducted the combines that are designed for teams in NASCAR's regional series to scout minority drivers. NASCAR's Drive for Diversity program was created to develop minority drivers and crewmen and help them advance through the NASCAR ranks with the goal of reaching the sport's top series. Since 2004, the program has included 41 drivers, with most being selected multiple times. There currently are six drivers in the program racing in various NASCAR regional series.(full article at the Sporting News)(4-20-2012)

lol

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21190 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1443 444 445 446 4471060 Next