TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1488 489 490 491 4921059 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

amateurs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

.. very interesting.

Facebook post is here, there's more updated now: https://www.facebook.com/texasmotorspee ... s&filter=2

Quote:
Texas Motor Speedway Whoa there Kevin. DILLON, we thought you were referring to the Cup tire test today. We weren't aware that there was a corporate driving school track rental after that test. Yes, there was a minor accident at that event. Everyone is fine. Thank you for your concern.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That looks to be a little more than a minor accident. 4 ride along cars in one crash?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

I see a lawsuit coming!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Do they usually run that many cars close to each other during those ride-along programs?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

At Daytona they run 4 cars nose to tail in the ride alongs.

And looking at it again there is another wrecked car by the ambulance, making it 5 cars in that wreck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've done that very ride along at TMS and also drove there. Can't imagine being in a wreck on the ride along. Open face helmets, no window net!

During the ride along the cars run side by side and pass each other several times at around 165-175 mph, so it's not surprising there were that many cars involved.

At least that's how it was when I was there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If I was in on that ride along I would of been like "that was legen....dary!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Paul wrote:
I've done that very ride along at TMS and also drove there. Can't imagine being in a wreck on the ride along. Open face helmets, no window net!

During the ride along the cars run side by side and pass each other several times at around 165-175 mph, so it's not surprising there were that many cars involved.

At least that's how it was when I was there.

It really is something I want to try some time in the future. I know pretty well how it is to race on road courses, but pack racing on an oval must be fantastic to live, and I'd feel ripped off if they don't give you that close racing experience.

Not thrilled about the open-helmet though, you'd expect at least as much safety as regular racers since it's basically the same risk!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:58 pm 

Is this list http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=2556 up-to-date? Nothing since june?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Petrick wrote:
Is this list http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=2556 up-to-date? Nothing since june?

It's out of date, and those TBD races have been run. :) As for whether they were broadcasted or not, I have no idea.

http://www.racing-reference.info/raceyear/2012/P
http://www.racing-reference.info/raceyear/2012/E

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm 

K, im more interested to know if theres still Speed coverages :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Petrick wrote:
K, im more interested to know if theres still Speed coverages :P

They are still doing coverage, every race but the West finale at Phoenix is on tape delay though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
No more Daytona Duel qualifying races? word is Daytona International Speedway is dropping those two Thursday 150s [Duel qualifying races]. Lack of sponsorship.(MikeMulhern.net).
BUT in February Budweiser and Daytona International Speedway announced the beer brand will take on an enhanced role in NASCAR's season opening festivities. Beginning with the 2013 season, Budweiser will become the official title sponsor of Speedweeks the ten-day stretch of stock-car races from the Shootout to the Daytona 500. Budweiser also will secure entitlement of the Budweiser Duel at Daytona, two 150-mile qualifying races that determine the starting lineup for the Daytona 500. These enhancements to Budweiser's partnership with DIS will replace the brand's existing entitlement of the season-opening, non-points Shootout.(Daytona International Speedway)(10-14-2012)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, that won't happen. The Duels draw a bigger crowd than the Shootout, Truck and Nationwide races individually.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wait I'm confused, it says that there's talk of dropping it due to lack of sponsorship but later states " Budweiser also will secure entitlement of the Budweiser Duel at Daytona, two 150-mile qualifying races that determine the starting lineup for the Daytona 500." Um ok so to me this is a non issue and someone is just making shit up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

MikeMulhern.net

Yeah that's about as much as I needed to know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jason Mazda/Press for Atlantic City wrote:
The NASCAR Nationwide Series appears to have an opening on next year’s schedule for a road course.

Why not New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville?

That’s the question on the mind of NJMP general manager Brad Scott, who spoke via telephone Monday from the AMA Pro Road Racing awards banquet in New Orleans before flying back to New Jersey on Tuesday.

“Once I get back into town, one of my immediate goals is going to be to really get aggressive and at least throw out name in the hat,” Scott said. “If there’s an opportunity to host something like that, we’d love to.”

The opportunity could be there because Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve last week ended its six-year relationship with the Nationwide Series. That road-course race had been run independently of the Sprint Cup Series.

Nationwide Series official Amanda Ellis said by phone Tuesday that she could not comment in detail on next year’s schedule, which she said likely will be released in a few weeks.

“We constantly have conversations with promoters who are interested in having a NASCAR Nationwide Series event at their track,” Ellis said.

Working against NJMP is the fact that there are several other tracks that offer similar benefits, including one — Road Atlanta — in which NASCAR has an ownership stake. Road Atlanta is owned by the American Le Mans Series, which last month merged with the NASCAR-owned Grand-Am Road Racing Series.

Still, Scott said it’s worth making the effort.

“We just kind of got wind of it last week that Nationwide was looking, with the termination of the contract with Montreal, that they were considering running on (another) road course,” Scott said. “Mid-Ohio and other tracks apparently have been contacted, but we have been known to get aggressive and go after them ourselves, so that’s what we plan to do.”

NJMP has hosted several major racing series, including Grand-Am and AMA, in its five-year history. But Nationwide, NASCAR’s second-tier stock-car racing series, would be the highest-profile race ever for the park.

The track does have a history of hosting stock-car races as the Automobile Racing Club of America (ARCA) has come to Millville the last five years.

“Certainly something of this level would be another opportunity to showcase the park,” Scott said. “So it would be great to have. I’m not sure how realistic it will come together, but we certainly want to put our name in the hat and be considered, and if it works out, that would be awesome.”

Would be cool to see Nationwide at NJMP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting old rumor: People thought Kyle Petty had AIDS.
Daily Press (July 7th, 1995) wrote:
After months of hearing rumors and reading unsubstantiated reports about his health, Kyle Petty has spoken out to deny he has AIDS or the HIV virus.

The 35-year-old stock car driver has been plagued with several colds, the flu, carbon monoxide poisoning and bronchitis this season. That gave rise to speculation that he might be seriously ill, perhaps with AIDS or HIV.

He addressed the issue late last month, saying part of the problem is the long history of respiratory problems and lung cancer on his mother's side of the family.

In recent months, Petty has taken insurance physicals and become a bone-marrow donor for Ray Evernham Jr., son of NASCAR crew chief Ray Evernham. None of the exams or blood tests have indicated the presence of AIDS or the HIV virus.

Petty said rumors that first appeared in January came from what some perceive as his unorthodox lifestyle. He is the tour's most outgoing and flamboyant driver, wears his hair in a ponytail, sports an earring, is a devoted motorcycle rider, has friends in the music industry and seems willing to try almost anything at least once.

"All said and done,'' he recently told a reporter from Winston Cup Scene, "I'm probably in better health and better shape than I have been for a long, long time. But still, it's like anything else - sometimes it doesn't always show.''

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

There should be a road course replacement for Montreal not just another mile and a half. NJMP wouldn't be too bad, considering they've lost the Grand Am.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1488 489 490 491 4921059 Next