TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21147 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1994 995 996 997 9981058 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:57 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Again with the hot takes and whataboutism

Everyone is free to post all the opinions you want, just not racist ones

People who aren't racist don't have anything to worry about, post away

The more people double down on "well.....actually" and "The thing is..." type contrarianism, the more you realised they're either committed to their racism but want to hide it, or don't realise their thinking is based on subconcious racism
Or they're just too damn lazy to consider their words and how they're coming across and maybe think about rephrasing what they're trying to say so it comes across as innocent as intended.

I get this whole forum is based on sensing the consensus opinion in the motorsport world and reacting against it.
NASCAR, The FIA or whatever other governing body says something and we hang our heads and facepalm because it's so stupid and why can't they just SEE it the way we do and the sport would be the better for it.

But not every time there is a consensus opinion it doesn't mean it's automatically wrong.

It's a big raw atm, it's a bit of a craze, yes, and it will calm down. I don't want to say we'll go back to normal, because certain things do have to change, but atm people are just angry and reconsidering why things are the way they are.
Hopefully the bad things will get shed and the good things will be kept, but it won't be this wild forever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SB83 wrote:
#BLM is headed the same way. It's going to convince every black person that every single adverse thing that ever happened to them was due to racism. Denied a promotion if you're the only black guy in a team of 10? Surely it's because of being black rather than one of those nine actually being a better performer than you, right? Tell that to Sundar Pichai and Satya Nadella, who are non-white (and immigrant even *gasp*) CEOs of America's two single largest IT companies. But #BLM is going to devolve into a witch hunt where those simply expressing a different narrative to the woke people will be ostracised, thrown out of their jobs, etc.

not to further derail the thread but BLM is definitely not headed that way. it's not really a witch hunt when racists out themselves. there have been protests before but for the first time we're seeing white america actually give a damn about these prevalent issues. we'll hopefully see change come out of this. your promotion analogy is bad. those two people are high level CEOs of major companies, so that's already a limited pool. however, the racial discrimination issue is real and is seen in the regular workforce and there have been many studies done on this ( https://www.epi.org/publication/labor-d ... mployment/ ). and for your example of the 1 black person on a 10 person team, uhh yeah i would definitely look at race if the others were non-black and had received promotions. ( https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/re ... r-managers )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:28 pm 

SB83 wrote:
Yea, one simply has to assume that their social media posts are speaking for their company even if it is done through a personal account. The guy never condoned the killing but merely asked people to stop 'deifying' Floyd. The man had more than one criminal record -- including robbing a pregnant woman -- and was high while about to drive on the day of his arrest/death.

I'll try to make this my last thread derailment, sorry, but think it's important to understand that the problematic aspect of that post was the picture meme. Had he not posted that picture with that opinion, I think the chances of being fired were much less.

"Crime doesn't pay" isn't a controversial statement per se. But the picture contains a caption with a vigilante death wish. Also, the "high on meth" claim is false (it's a misreading of the toxicology report), the Snopes article goes into details on that one, so that half of the meme is wrong.

The meme (and the CEO) lacks perspective anyways. All of those crimes were 2009 and earlier. After he was released from his armed robbery jail time in 2013, all indications are he went straight (to a large degree, at least) until the alleged counterfeit bill passing attempt he made that led to his death. In other words, George Floyd was also trying to get away from that criminal lifestyle for much of his recent years. Past history means something sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't (to make this racing relevant, compare John Paul Sr. to John Paul Jr.). Sometimes old bad habits are something people struggle with and will pop up every now and again despite trying to do good (see: Al Unser Jr.).

So yeah, he shouldn't be deified, he has history. But the meme read like a whataboutism character slam. That was the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Per Jayski, the All-Star Race is being moved to Bristol due to an increase of COVID-19 cases in North Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is an article about the All-Star Race moving.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-all-star-race-bristol-2020/4797432/

This should be most entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:30 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Bristol for Charlotte seems a good trade, since Bristol is one of the few good races we've had since cup returned.

Now just make them run Xfinity cars and we would be set

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:

:slaphead:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've always felt the All-Star race should be at a track like Bristol, Martinsville or Richmond. A non-points race that's all about winning a million dollars should not be on a boring cookie-cutter.

Dan Belcher wrote:
Gaara wrote:

Lightning McQueen is flattered.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Dan Belcher wrote:

Why " :slaphead: "? It actually makes sense to put sponsors' logos on a larger piece of bodywork and I happen to think it looks quite good, certainly much better than cars in regional series with their numbers on the quarter panels. Or is it just a case of "change = bad" and "muh tradition", even though paint schemes haven't always been arranged the way they currently are?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pimmy wrote:
I happen to think it looks quite good

I disagree. I think it looks absolutely awful. The number being centered under the door just makes the whole thing look balanced. Now everything seems skewed too far back and it doesn't look, well, technically not symmetrical, but you know what I mean.

pimmy wrote:
certainly much better than cars in regional series with their numbers on the quarter panels.

But yes, that's even worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It does look weird but how much of that is just because you're so used to it in the current position.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:44 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

If you asked me to sit down and write every main sponsor from the starting lineup of the 1999 Daytona 500 and match it to driver and number, I can probably do it in about ten minutes.

If you asked me to name 20 sponsors from Sunday’s race at homestead without matching it to anything, I probably can’t. I can match drivers and numbers still. No one gives a shit what a cars sponsor is anymore because it changes every gosh darn fucking weekend. Moving the numbers and making them smaller, all it will do is make one less distinguishing feature available and destroy even more identity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:58 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It says a lot that NASCAR's number 1 priority right now is slightly tweaking where the race number is in order to give a bigger doorspace to sponsors, meanwhile I was reading on Reddit how Micheal Waltrip was interviewing NASCAR people on his show and they think 8/10 fans are more than happy with the aero package and racing the way it is.....

Priorities....

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

on NBC's hall of fame announcement show, Dale Jarrett announced that he got a light case of COVID-19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:51 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2 Stewart Haas Racing team members that work at the race shops has got the virus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer612008 wrote:
2 Stewart Haas Racing team members that work at the race shops has got the virus

a Penske team member also got the virus, but has since recovered
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/n ... s-covid-19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

while he hasn't been active on social media in recent weeks, Kyle Larson has been working with the Sanneh Foundation in Minneapolis over the last couple weeks
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBgRTC4l6Ta/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:00 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Location: Miles from civilizaton or any decent racetrack Minnesota USA
anyone know of any good racing apps on ROKU i was hoping to find speed 51 or dirtvision but no luck

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21147 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1994 995 996 997 9981058 Next