TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:04 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

What's wrong with Erik Jones? Yes he has an ego, but the kid can drive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't even think he has that bad of an ego. For someone so young and fast, he's a remarkably mature and clean driver.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

His stats are unreal...people keep talking about Chase and Larson, Erik may just smoke both of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Saw this meme. Got pissed off. Came here.

I can't think of any time these guys did anything like what Kenseth did... there was Richmond '86, but that was a race for the lead, wasn't spilled over from a previous race, and was over with just as soon as it began (not to mention Dale didn't exactly intend for it to happen the way it did, him getting taken out with it).

I was no Dale Sr. fan, but GAT DAYMM this meme pissed me off. The person on my FB who shared it said "ain't that the truth!"

Actually, no, it isn't. Not even close.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm still on the fence about Jones, well pretty much the age factor. I don't want to see him rushed along like Logano, Larson, etc.... but I will say he has done a damn fine job with his opportunities. 2 years in Xfinity full time then be in line for one of the Cup rides. I mean Kenseth isnt getting any younger.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned but I was thinking, 3 of the 4 JGR drivers will have failed to run all the races this year. Only Edwards will have run all 36 points events.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Season isn't over yeat for Earl. ;) But yea that's crazy considering how dominant JGR has been this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:42 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Andre wrote:

Saw this meme. Got pissed off. Came here.

I can't think of any time these guys did anything like what Kenseth did... there was Richmond '86, but that was a race for the lead, wasn't spilled over from a previous race, and was over with just as soon as it began (not to mention Dale didn't exactly intend for it to happen the way it did, him getting taken out with it).

I was no Dale Sr. fan, but GAT DAYMM this meme pissed me off. The person on my FB who shared it said "ain't that the truth!"

Actually, no, it isn't. Not even close.

I haven't seen his glory years, but the only thing you can say that he didn't wreck as payback. I don't care much for intentions. Result is what counts. Intentions are fir girls. But, ti the point. Dale turned a lot of people around. A lot. Sure. He didn't wreck them (except Rusty...), but semantics....

The other one is Waltrip i presume? Don't know much about his shannanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe it's just a different time we are in. When Dale wrecked Terry at Bristol in 99, I never once thought Terry would go out and drill Dale with his car the following week let alone if Dale was leading the race. The drivers these days are fuckin children.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep - Dale and Terry had no run-ins prior to that, and nobody was expecting it. It just happened, and it got people riled up. And Chris is right, the way the drivers handled it then is completely different than how they handle it now.

On the subject of inconsistency, people are crying foul like it's a new thing - Rudd apparently deserved a black flag at Sonoma in '91, whereas Dale didn't deserve one for the exact same thing at Bristol in '99. It's been going on forever, folks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also remember NASCAR used to give out 5-lap penalties for "rough driving". Jimmy Spencer and Bobby Hamilton were two recipients I can remember.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I saw the meme too. It's clearly bullshit. There are always those blowhard fans that will talk about the rough and tumble days of the past, but they seem to forget how less frequent AND less severe all that shit was. Guys would occasionally retaliate, but it was usually just a spin instead of a big wreck. They would fight, but it was usually just a scuffle instead of a brawl.

Also, there seemed to be a basic understanding that not every last bit of contact or incident warranted a full on feud. Guys would wreck, chalk it up to just part of racing in the interview, and move on. Even when they got angry and blamed another driver it rarely came off as more than just a venting of frustrations.

Now there are so many nasty words, vendettas, and psycho paybacks that it's really hard to remember them all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gilliland intentionally hooked Montoya into the wall at Texas. Stewart shoved Kenseth into the infield in front of the pack at Daytona. Stewart intentionally wrecked Bowyer at Pocono (Edwards got collected too). Gordon turned Burton head on into the wall at Texas. Newman TRIED to turn Montoya head-on into the wall in T3 at Richmond.

These are all ridiculously overaggressive moves that I haven't seen any of us mention this week. They're way too common (relatively speaking) these days.

Last edited by Chris A on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
I saw the meme too. It's clearly bullshit. There are always those blowhard fans that will talk about the rough and tumble days of the past, but they seem to forget how less frequent AND less severe all that shit was. Guys would occasionally retaliate, but it was usually just a spin instead of a big wreck. They would fight, but it was usually just a scuffle instead of a brawl.

Also, there seemed to be a basic understanding that not every last bit of contact or incident warranted a full on feud. Guys would wreck, chalk it up to just part of racing in the interview, and move on. Even when they got angry and blamed another driver it rarely came off as more than just a venting of frustrations.

Now there are so many nasty words, vendettas, and psycho paybacks that it's really hard to remember them all.

This really sums up my feelings on it. It's like everything has to be a major ordeal nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
Gilliland intentionally hooked Montoya into the wall at Texas. Stewart shoved Kenseth into the infield in front of the pack at Daytona. Stewart intentionally wrecked Bowyer at Pocono (Edwards got collected too). Gordon turned Burton head on into the wall at Texas. Newman TRIED to turn Montoya head-on into the wall in T3 at Richmond.

These are all ridiculously overaggressive moves that I haven't seen any of us mention this week. They're way too common (relatively speaking) these days.

*It was Burton that turned Gordon into the wall head-on at Texas. I remembered the "fight" so well that I forgot who turned who to start that whole deal, and I just had to re-watch it. haha

But yeah, another thing that pretty much made that sort of retaliation in the old days pretty much impossible was that if you did something like that, you stood a good chance of killing someone. Sounds extreme, but with the SAFER barriers, HANS devices, ultra-safe cockpits and all that stuff, the odds of someone even getting slightly injured in one of these wrecks is slim to none.

(Austin Theriault's wreck still proved freak deals could happen, however.)

Safety has been a blessing, but at the same time, barely any of these guys have had the serious threat of every single turn possibly being their last. It's a video game to everyone now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

^^true.

I forgot which driver it was, maybe Kez, but they pretty much came out and said drivers these days feel invincible because of the increased safety.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:50 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

siggy wrote:
The other one is Waltrip i presume? Don't know much about his shannanigans.

The only thing I see out of Waltrip when he drove was that he has a big mouth (and he'd usually back it up). That's it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Waltrip did have a big mouth but he was Damn good to the point it was warranted. I think sometimes broadcaster DW makes us forgot how great of a driver he was.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:23 am 

DW has 3 championships and over 80 wins including 7 Bristol wins in a row :8:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:47 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I got into the sport the year two years after Darrell won his last race, didn't have cable till '99 (so I missed his last strong runs in the DEI #1) I grew up watching him as a has been and becoming the reason for past champ provisional edits...But he obviously was one of the best in his time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

His last few seasons outside of the stint in the 1 were cringe worthy. Especially his last year when he had to buy rides.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next