It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:24 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

dr dog wrote:
Chris A wrote:
I get it in HD! :)

Is that a recent change? Who's your provider?

AT&T Uverse. I've only been a subscriber since November, but I've had it since then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:05 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

thrilling race so far

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fun racing is better

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 am 

I'm happy ESPN is focusing more on the underdogs this year. Liked the attention on Landon the past couple weeks. What is this caution for? "Debris?"

EDIT: Also this race truly isn't bad by modern nationwide series standards. Every time someone takes the lead, they get run down. Color me entertained.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 am 

Chase Elliot wins. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, such a bummer when a nationwide regular takes one away from the Cup stars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:46 pm 

Philthy82 wrote:
Yeah, such a bummer when a nationwide regular takes one away from the Cup stars.

Yeah, that's not what I meant. I'd much rather see him win than Hornish, Larson, or Kahne. I meant, if a series regular is going to win, I'd like to see someone other than Chase take the flag. I'm not sold on the kid yet. If he keeps doing what he's doing, I'll have no other choice but to respect his skills. But so far, it seems like the last name Elliot has done a lot to help him along. Nothing against family racing, but I guess I'm old school. Chase isn't old enough to be competing in N'wide, IMO. I wouldn't put a driver in a JR motorsports car until they had years of full-body experience. Different strokes, I guess! Congrats to Chase though, he deserved it. (no Toyota in victory lane is always a plus)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:57 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

He's a lot better than when he started out. I watched him race Legends and Bandeleros at Atlanta a few years ago, and he wasn't all that great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I essentially see that 9 car to be in the same league as the 88 car was with Keselowski in it. Junior put Brad in that car full time in '08 and had most people scratching their heads as to why he'd do that for a guy who didn't have all that much experience - look at where Brad is now. Junior (er, probably Mr. H) put Chase in that car to get him experience, and I think it'll pay off when he runs this year and next year full time.

He's pretty much in title-winning form already, although he and the team as a whole kinda needs to pick up in a few areas. Other than that, him beating his teammates with way more experience (in more or less the same equipment) is convincing enough for me. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:46 pm 

Andre wrote:
I essentially see that 9 car to be in the same league as the 88 car was with Keselowski in it. Junior put Brad in that car full time in '08 and had most people scratching their heads as to why he'd do that for a guy who didn't have all that much experience - look at where Brad is now. Junior (er, probably Mr. H) put Chase in that car to get him experience, and I think it'll pay off when he runs this year and next year full time.

He's pretty much in title-winning form already, although he and the team as a whole kinda needs to pick up in a few areas. Other than that, him beating his teammates with way more experience (in more or less the same equipment) is convincing enough for me. *shrugs*

Thanks for contributing to the discussion! I see your point, and I was one of those people saying, who is this guy driving the 88? I was reading an article the other day and I think it was Brad K who said Hendrick is essentially an 8 or 9 car team. When I got to thinking about it, he's right. SHR is just Hendrick 2.0. It's crazy how NASCAR just says "we can't do anything because the owner's name isn't listed as Rick Hendrick" Seems a little silly to me. I guess I should post that in Random discussion though...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, it pertains to the 9 car winning Chicago, so I think it counts. :p

But yeah, having the "satellite" organization label doesn't hurt. Kelley Earnhardt has more to do with the day-to-day operations of JR Motorsports, and someone else handles all the day-to-day business stuff at SHR. I'm don't think Tony Stewart handles all the mundane business stuff, but yeah, JRM and SHR are just Hendrick cars with different owners.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

momo1911 wrote:
Andre wrote:

Thanks for contributing to the discussion! I see your point, and I was one of those people saying, who is this guy driving the 88? I was reading an article the other day and I think it was Brad K who said Hendrick is essentially an 8 or 9 car team. When I got to thinking about it, he's right. SHR is just Hendrick 2.0. It's crazy how NASCAR just says "we can't do anything because the owner's name isn't listed as Rick Hendrick" Seems a little silly to me. I guess I should post that in Random discussion though...

I wasn't because I'd seen him wheel his truck in the lead at Memphis a few weeks before that on worn tyres till Kvapil spun him out. But before that, I had no clue who Brad Keselowski was either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I definitely knew of Bob, but had no clue Brad was any good until he was in that 9 truck. It was the sort of drive that gets a guy noticed, and to see him succeed now is great.

I guess Chase is different mostly because we've watched him grow up and win since he was in his early teens. If anyone has the Logano-type of hype behind him these days, it's definitely him. Disliking him because of said hype is fair, mostly because hearing about a guy incessantly solely based on his potential - however fair it may be - can annoy some people (see; ChrisTRD about Larson).

:wave:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

One thing I want to add to the discussion is: Unlike the other 4 big Development drivers (Jones, Wallace, C. Beuscher, and Blaney) Chase Elliot is almost guaranteed to be in Cup by 2017 if not 2016 with Gordon's retirement imminent.