TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19140 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:36 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rick Crawford joins the ranks of drivers who operate race tracks. This is from jayski.com

Quote:
•Crawford takes reigns at Mobile International Speedway: UPDATE more info: NASCAR driver Rick Crawford has entered into a multi-year agreement to manage and promote Mobile International Speedway. Crawford's career began at MIS racing for owner's Lee and Ida Fields and has now come full circle with his return to the Speedway. "I am truly humbled that Ida Fields has chosen me to takeover her and Lee's baby. Growing up, I thought winning at Daytona was just a dream and that dream came true, today another dream has become a reality," said Crawford. "We've got a lot of work to do and I hope our fans and our racers will be patient with us as we get started." Ida Fields added the following: "I had a great partner in Lee and we were able to build the track into something special. I see a lot of Lee in Rick and Lee would be so proud that Rick has come back to Mobile International Speedway." Crawford's management team is in place as of today and are in the process of preparing for the Speedway's Annual Swap Meet this Saturday [March 19th] as well as the Miller Lite Super Late Model series season opener on March 26th. Known as the fastest half mile in Alabama, Mobile International Speedway hosts racing every other Saturday night. Six different classes of cars compete at MIS; Island Motors II Bombers, Bob's Speed Shop Sportsman, Praytor Realty Super Stocks, Alabama Pipe and Supply Modifieds, Midwest Cooling Towers Pro-Late Models and Miller Lite Super Late Models. The Winged Sprint cars are set to make a special appearance on July 9th. Rick Crawford Performance, L.L.C. is based out of Concord, North Carolina Rick Crawford Performance provides promotions, entertainment and racing performance consulting services from local racing to NASCAR. Currently, Rick Crawford Performance has an ARCA team, two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team in it's North Carolina facility.(Rick Crawford Performance PR)(3-15-2011)
UPDATE: Formal announcement was made at a luncheon at a local Mobile, Alabama restaurant today. Mobile International Speedway, has now become a Rick Crawford Performance Track. Crawford has a three-year agreement to run the Speedway, with an option for three more years, with the track's owner, Ida Fields. Crawford said that he would like to see Mobile International Speedway become a "full-blown entertainment facility" with outdoor summer concerts, defensive driving classes for kids and eventually something along the lines of the "Snowball Derby" at Mobile International Speedway. Crawford also said that he's not done racing yet; and hopes to run a few more truck races this year. He would like to run Talladega, possibly others if able to pick up a ride in a good truck. Crawford ended his remarks by saying that he's driven race cars all over the United States, but is glad to call Mobile home.(3-15-2011)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:11 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Race22 Radio is live for this week.
This is a new internet radio show that discusses Late Model and Modified racing in Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas.

These are the guests that are supposed to be on tonight:
Quote:
Jonathan Brown from Bowman Gray Stadium
Brennan Poole, winner of the Season Opener for the UARA-STARS at Hickory
Kyle Moon, talking about running for Fat Head Racing this weekend at Hickory
Nate Monteith from Kingsport Speedway
Jay Fogleman, winner of the PASS South at Anderson
plus many more!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:49 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

...and here is the video of the disaster that was the first race at South Boston Speedway:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Had a fun night at the track. 23 Late Models showed up for the 100 lap feature. 15 finished. I didn't keep track but if I had to guess there were at least 10 cautions. Race finished in an hour and a half. All the cautions were mostly single car spins that dropped some large pieces of sheet metal on the track.

I did catch once sizable incident on camera. I was watching two cars race side by side (they were the 77 and 10 for future reference) and felt compelled to film them, because I figured one of them would get fed up with the other. Going into one, well, the 10 didn't make the turn. His RF rotor was glowing bright orange and he slammed the wall pretty hard. He wasn't injured though.

Other than that, caught a few other spins and some good racing throughout all the classes. As well as plenty of pictures. I've got no time really now to post anything. It may be Monday before I get everything completely uploaded

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Album of my photos from last nights race.
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll11 ... ay%202011/

EDIT: A couple videos for now.

The full 20 lap Street Stock feature

This was the hardest hit of the night. Driver was not hurt.

Awesome flagman :flag:

Last edited by K_Sherman on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We've got a week and change til our opener up here.

The SK race will most likely look like that Late Model race. Can't have a wreck filled LM race with only 12 cars.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

TheShermanator wrote:
Awesome flagman :flag:

lol, that is awesome :thumbsup:
That flagstand looks like a rusty old piece of scaffolding, it must be solid though 'cause he's putting it to the test jumping around like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank you both for posting your videos. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

markmartinfan wrote:
...and here is the video of the disaster that was the first race at South Boston Speedway:

lol at nearly all the pure stocks being 240SX's.

King for all time Wreckin Race is Waterford Speedbowl SK Modified race on April 10, 2010.

12 laps in two hours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

markmartinfan wrote:
That flagstand looks like a rusty old piece of scaffolding, it must be solid though 'cause he's putting it to the test jumping around like that.
Indeed. lol

Finally got the late model video uploaded, as well as the regular classes.

Bandoleros, pro challenge, legends, V8 bombers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thz2lujRJ00

(What I didn't realize when I put the 07's qualifying lap at the beginning of the lm video, I think they said something about the fast 5 or 10 drew for their starting positions. I was a tad too lazy to edit it out and re render the video)
Video also includes highlights from the sportsman race afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Quote:
Richmond to Host Short Track Showdown
Hamlin charity race spotlights Sprint Cup & Late Model drivers

Track Release
March 22, 2011 - 3:44pm
RICHMOND, Va. — Richmond International Raceway and Chesterfield, Virginia’s Denny Hamlin are joining forces to run the fourth annual Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown to benefit the Denny Hamlin Foundation on Thursday night, April 28 at America’s Premier Short Track. The event will feature several NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers and celebrities battling it out on the ¾-mile track with some of the best local Late Model Stock Car drivers.

On the cutting edge of technology, Richmond International Raceway brought Tuesday’s announcement to fans live on the track’s Facebook page. The online event marked one of the first times a motorsports facility has delivered a major announcement live on the Internet, and fans were invited to submit questions for Hamlin and Fritz to answer.

“This is a great partnership with our hometown driver, Denny Hamlin,” said Richmond International Raceway President Doug Fritz. “We’re excited to be the new home of the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown and hope to help Denny grow this event into a premiere charity race.”

The addition of the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown at Richmond International Raceway means the race weekend will now feature four events for race fans to enjoy. The charity race will be a one-day show, featuring practice and qualifying prior to the Blue Ox 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race. The Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown will run immediately following the Blue Ox 100, making for an exciting Thursday at Richmond International Raceway.

“I’m so excited to have the opportunity to run our Short Track Showdown at Richmond International Raceway,” said Hamlin. “The event has grown every year and we’ve been so fortunate to raise support through my foundation for some outstanding organizations. The competition will be intense with several Cup drivers signed on, as well as a few racing celebrities and of course several outstanding local short track drivers. It’s going to be a great night of racing with the opportunity to help a lot of people.”

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers and other NASCAR celebrities currently scheduled to run in the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown include Hamlin, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, Michael Waltrip, Joey Logano, 2011 Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, Hermie Sadler and Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell.

Proceeds from the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown at Richmond International Raceway will benefit the Denny Hamlin Foundation, a 501 C (3) started to raise funds for individuals and families affected by cystic fibrosis. The foundation supports organizations like The Children’s Hospital of Richmond, St. Jude’s Hospital and Victory Junction.

Tickets are available now for the excitement on Thursday, April 28th. All seats are general admission and $25. Children 12 and under are admitted free with a ticketed adult. Tickets include the Blue Ox 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race and Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown.

If you haven’t purchased your tickets for the Crown Royal Presents The Matthew & Daniel Hansen 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on Saturday, April 30th, now is the time. Tickets start at $45 and can be purchased online at http://www.rir.com or by calling 866-455-RACE (7223). Don’t miss the return of hometown favorite Denny Hamlin, defending series champion Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and all of your favorite stars of the Sprint Cup Series.

The weekend also includes the Friday, April 29th BUBBA burger 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series race “under the lights.” Daytona 500 champion Trevor Bayne, Virginia native Elliott Sadler and the full-time Nationwide Series drivers will mix it up with Sprint Cup drivers running double-duty. Tickets start at $30 in advance, and children 12 and under are admitted free with a ticketed adult in general admission. For tickets and information, log on to http://www.rir.com or call 866-455-RACE (7223).

http://hometracks.nascar.com/release/Ri ... k_Showdown

Of course what the press release doesn't mention is that this race has been held at Southside Speedway since 2007 and now that the track is closed they needed to find someplace else to run it.
I've seen this move coming for weeks since I knew NASCAR would get involved but it should have been moved to Langley Speedway. Too bad NASCAR had to strong arm Hamlin's race to RIR so they didn't have a competing event the same night as their K&N race due to their own poor planning. Hamlin won his first NASCAR championship at Langley Speedway in 1997 and it would have been logical for him to move the event to his other home track once Southside Speedway was out of the question. I think this move to RIR takes away from the race since 1) it is now a sideshow to the K&N race 2) now the Cup drivers have a clear advantage as none of the local drivers have likely run Richmond before in any type of car 3) and the point of this race originally was to bring some Cup drivers to a local short track, draw a big crowd, raise money for Denny's charity, and give back a bit to the local tracks and racers. For the most part none of that is really going to happen now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:57 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I understand why, but I don't at the same time. It'd be much better for Langley, Sobo or anywhere else than RIR, where it'll probably be at a financial loss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NASCAR's stupidity continues the trickle down effect. Money flows up, shit flows down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:15 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://twitter.com/#!/dennyhamlin/statu ... 9454998529

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:01 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
http://twitter.com/#!/dennyhamlin/status/52879519454998529

I guess I won't be recording that race now. It's going to be weird for me just sitting in the stands and watching.

It'll be good for the local drivers that run well but too bad SPEED will probably screw it up and only talk about the Cup drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:09 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I found an interesting short documentary about Rockford Speedway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:12 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Highlights from the past couple of races at South Boston Speedway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

So who's bright idea was it to lineup from time trials straight-up at SoBo?

I'm sure it goes without saying, but said person needs to be fired.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
So who's bright idea was it to lineup from time trials straight-up at SoBo?

You mean like no invert after qual?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bingo.

Lining up directly from time-trials has no place in weekly racing, IMO.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19140 Next