TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1585 586 587 588 5891060 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:
Gene Haas said he wanted his name on Kurt's car.

He didn't want to have his name on the car but said he would foot the bill for Kurt if no sponsor could be found. Guess that is about to change now..

Yes he did.

Quote:
Haas insisted getting his name on a car was his primary motivation.

"It was an opportunity for Haas Automation to be a primary sponsor. This is going to be my shot at being a primary sponsor, going to the Daytona 500, the Brickyard as the primary sponsor," he said. "Haas Automation has never been in the winner's circle, and I'm sure that's going to change next year. So that's my primary reason for basically pushing this expansion. It's been met with a little bit of resistance."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9606553/gene-haas-put-deal-together-kurt-busch-own

I stand corrected. I was sure I read he'd only fill in with Haas sponsorship should no sponsor be found, that he wanted to run Kurt that badly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stewart-Haas wouldn't be a bad organization for NAPA to back, even if Gene Haas has the money to back Kurt Busch for the whole season. Question is whether NAPA can handle backing a loose cannon like Kurt. I know M&M/Mars reevaluated their relationship with Kyle after what he did at Texas two years ago, even temporarily pulling their support from his Cup car for the rest of that season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can see NAPA going for it with Kurt. Not as much a loose cannon as he used to be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:50 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd rather see a #6 NAPA Auto Parts Dallara driven by Juan Montoya.

I could see NAPA sticking around around, but I could see them going in a different non-NASCAR direction as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hotdogger wrote:
Article about the 2014 Tundra. http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASCAR-C ... apter.aspx

And some better pics; looks pretty good imo.

so, the actual grille is where the air comes in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:53 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks that way. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The headlights almost look removable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

K_Sherman wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Oh gawd can you imagine what the NAPA adverts are going to be like, surely they couldn't get Kurt to act such the prick that Truex and MW did (not that he would have to act).

I know it wouldn't happen but I'd love to hear the "cans" make fun of Clint.

"Oh look it's the funny car guy. Hey Ron, how hot does it get in your car in 3 seconds? Does your arm ever itch? Ever had to spin to get a teammate into the countdown?"

I don't see the problem or what you're all worried about, after-all Kurt is a great actor as we all witnessed in this...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is a "what if" scenario regarding NAPA. The reason why this came to mind is because of NAPA's history of taking a chance on a start-up team (MWR). What if NAPA decides to take a chance on the NASCAR team that Michael Andretti's been talking about wanting to start up running Dodges? NAPA took a chance on Michael Waltrip's start-up team, would they do the same with Andretti's?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm not sure that was as big of a gamble as you think. They already had a very well-established relationship with Waltrip and they were joining a team with big factory support from a new manufacturer. I'm not saying it was a totally low-risk decision, but there were some very enticing reasons for them to stick with him during that transition.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NAPA is one of the last full time sponsors in the sport. But they have a budget that would get them a partial season (just what I've heard) with a top team. So if they wanted a full season again they would probably venture out to a "B" team in the hopes of building them up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting you'd mention a "B" team, Shane. Maybe NAPA would take a chance with a smaller team like Tommy Baldwin Racing or FAS Lane Racing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd bet NAPA leaves the sport for a while. The embarassment of the MWR situation is one thing, but NASCAR adding two drivers into the Chase when the 56 really did nothing wrong is probably the crux of the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
I'd bet NAPA leaves the sport for a while. The embarassment of the MWR situation is one thing, but NASCAR adding two drivers into the Chase when the 56 really did nothing wrong is probably the crux of the issue.

The 56 did nothing wrong, but it's the 12 year relationship with Michael Waltrip that took the real hit. Fans see NAPA, they think (or, I know I do) all about Michael Waltrip, the countless great commercials over the years, those handful of wins in the NAPA car... it really was a close-knit bond. NAPA going to another team and establishing a strong new relationship is the best idea - if they were to leave altogether, they'd be "that team that used to sponsor Michael Waltrip".

For any MWR sponsors to question NASCAR's integrity and feel like leaving the sport (as 5 Hour Energy is doing) is asinine. Their own team pulled a stunt that's damaged the sport (possibly) beyond repair, and it's NASCAR's intervention that's the root of the problem?

lol Yea. Okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NASCAR will be just fine. This little sham didn't damage anything beyond repair, it just made some of the more unpleasent things widely known. NASCAR can, and will, do whatever they want. Add a driver, take out a driver, redraw for starting spots after qualifying, have the wives/gf's/bf's of drivers run a powder puff race at halfway to determine the restart order... If the sport wasn't all ready in disrepute due to lackluster leadership then this latest incident isn't going to add anymore fuel to the fire.

Personally, I wouldn't have penalised the MWR team... At least not publically. They should've been dragged out behind the woodshed and calmly explained that they'd wish they were never born if they ever even think of doing a stunt like that again. NASCAR has the ugly habit of airing it's dirty laundry. That never used to happen, although, a lot of things NASCAR does these days never used to happen.

F1 has a FAR larger audience and the Renault bullshit didn't damage the sport beyond repair. Seems to be clicking along just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's true, I guess.

If the backlash over the "secret fines" handed out in the past couple years is any indication, I'm not sure a low-key penalty would have sufficed. Fans seemed to be pretty ticked off when they kept things under wraps for the Brad Keselowski and (someone else) penalties handed out a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ferrari wrote:
2014 Schedule Rumor: Cup Series will race at Road America and Southern 500 at Darlington returns to Labor Day Weekend.

Quote:
UPDATE:The 2014 Sprint Cup schedule is being debated behind closed doors, and some quite interesting twists appear on the table at the moment. Just a few weeks ago it looked like NASCAR didn't plan any major, or even minor, changes for 2014. Now, however, word is things have, for some reason, changed. What NASCAR eventually does with next year's Cup calendar seems up for review, with few sacred cows. Don't make any hotel reservations, but here are some possible moves:
-- Homestead might lose its spot as the season finale;
-- Phoenix might gain the final spot on the 2014 tour;
-- Sonoma could earn a spot in the playoffs, adding a California stop to the chase;
-- Road America, that picturesque road course at Elkhart Lake, Wis., an hour north of Milwaukee, could get a slot in the 2014 Cup schedule (even though NASCAR's Brian France earlier this year said he planned no new tracks on the tour next season);
-- how to fit a new track in the schedule? Dover could lose its late spring Cup weekend (keeping its early fall Cup date, in the chase), track boss Denis McGlynn, not unaccustomed to such speculation, would surely fight hard to keep both;
-- and -- hold your horses -- Darlington might even get its traditional Labor Day weekend Southern 500 back;
-- to fill that Mother's Day Saturday night slot, maybe a swap with Atlanta;
Of course after all this debate NASCAR might simply decide not to make any changes for 2014.(MikeMulhern.net)(9-17-2013)

Quote:
UPDATE: NASCAR'S 2014 Sprint Cup tour is finally starting to take shape, it appears, with Darlington Raceway officially announcing its Southern 500 again on Mother's Day weekend Saturday, May 10th. Atlanta Motor Speedway is also announcing its 2014 Sprint Cup race date, Sunday, August 31. And Texas Motor Speedway appears ready to announce its 2014 Cup dates too this weekend. Track boss Eddie Gossage says he'll reveal his 2014 dates Monday evening.(MikeMulhern.net)(9-20-2013)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

well it was a fun hope while it lasted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What do you do when you're the proud owner of the largest television screen in the world?

If you're Bruton Smith, just say "Fuck it, build another one".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nothing like paying to go to a race so you can watch it on TV...at the track. I like watching the broadcast to see stuff I missed, but I don't mind waiting till I get home.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1585 586 587 588 5891060 Next