TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1534 535 536 537 5381060 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Philthy82 wrote:
Guarantee some stock car driving on public road hijinks.

People actually watch the Cleveland Show?

Ehhh, yeah it's kinda a guilty pleasure of mine. Think I'll watch anything Mcfarlane, not as my favourite comedy but there's usually enough in each episode to at least raise a grin or a "OMG....seriously, he went there?" reaction.

I wasn't that sure about the Cleveland show at first but it's got better.
Then they did a crossover with the Comic Book Guy and I got goosebumps, BEST crossover EVER ;)

Still, I expect the same NASCAR jokes in the ep than were in The Simpsons ep where Maude Flanders dies, or in the South Park ep where Cartman races Kenny, or in the Malcom in the Middle ep where the dad drags his kids to the track....
(wow, NASCAR's been in a lot of comedy!)

So expect lots of Redneck jokes, lots of "people only watch for the crashes" jokes, lots of "the races are long and boring" jokes and "they can only turn left ha ha ha" jokes.

TBH the only sitcom I've seen do Racing right was Tim the Tool Man Taylor. And that was more Indycar because he lived in Detroit.
Even had Mario Andretti on one ep. Trufax.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Underdogfan wrote:
Quote:
Patrick generated massive social media impact at Daytona: During a Speedweeks in which she twice made NASCAR history, #10-Danica Patrick's performance triggered some unprecedented reverberations in social media, too. Repucom, a global company with an office in Charlotte, found that Patrick had 971 million impressions on Twitter in the eight days spanning when she became the first woman to capture a Sprint Cup pole position to the first to lead the Daytona 500. By comparison, the 2012 Daytona 500 pole winner, Carl Edwards, had 15 million impressions during the same timeframe last year, and Patrick had 19 million in the two months entering her Daytona 500 debut last season. With an advanced algorithm that has a 3% margin of error, impressions are calculated through tweets, retweets and replies about a topic and the number of followers associated with the accounts. "It's staggering," Repucom vice president Peter Laatz told USA TODAY Sports. "That's a really good thing for the sport, and it's great for her and great for her sponsors. We thought last year was a big deal until we looked at the numbers from this year." Repucom, which measures the impact and valuation of sponsorships across several sports and tracks close to 1,700 NASCAR brands, also estimated that primary sponsor Go Daddy received 1,203 seconds of on-screen branding during the Daytona 500 that was equivalent to $2.9 million in media value. During Patrick's last full season in the Izod IndyCar Series in 2011, Go Daddy had 5,637 seconds of screen time but nearly half the media value ($1.5 million) because NASCAR's ratings and reach dwarf rival racing series.

Can't talk about her on track performance, gotta talk about something else....

Got you to post about it, didn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

Ehhh, yeah it's kinda a guilty pleasure of mine. Think I'll watch anything Mcfarlane, not as my favourite comedy but there's usually enough in each episode to at least raise a grin or a "OMG....seriously, he went there?" reaction.

Then they did a crossover with the Comic Book Guy and I got goosebumps, BEST crossover EVER ;)

Still, I expect the same NASCAR jokes in the ep than were in The Simpsons ep where Maude Flanders dies, or in the South Park ep where Cartman races Kenny, or in the Malcom in the Middle ep where the dad drags his kids to the track....

So expect lots of Redneck jokes, lots of "people only watch for the crashes" jokes, lots of "the races are long and boring" jokes and "they can only turn left ha ha ha" jokes.

TBH the only sitcom I've seen do Racing right was Tim the Tool Man Taylor. And that was more Indycar because he lived in Detroit.

FOX killed King of the Hill for The Cleveland Show.

Fuck'em.

Family Guy blows, there's way too much filler in there because they've run out of ideas to put into the show, so they just run off on a tanget for a stupid amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

Yea, Tool Time probably holds the record for having the most race car driver cameos in a sitcom ever. Apart from Mario, Michael and Jeff Andretti, it also had Johnny Rutherford, Robby Gordon (along with team owner Derrick Walker), Al Unser Sr, Jr and his son and I think Bobby Unser too.

Stewart's cameo on Last Man Standing was really good too. He was so natural. And funnier than some of the regulars on the show even.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woodski wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

FOX killed King of the Hill for The Cleveland Show.

Fuck'em.

Family Guy blows, there's way too much filler in there because they've run out of ideas to put into the show, so they just run off on a tanget for a stupid amount of time.

King of the Hill killed King of the Hill. Mike Judge simply ran out of good storylines. There was only so far that show could go and Brittany Murphys unfortunate death didn't help. Though the idea of the Cleveland Show (I'm not a fan) didn't help, the show was heading towards its end around that time anyway. Ratings weren't the best and with all the Sunday sports on FOX, any show on at 8 gets fucked a lot with events that run long.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hotdogger wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

Yea, Tool Time probably holds the record for having the most race car driver cameos in a sitcom ever. Apart from Mario, Michael and Jeff Andretti, it also had Johnny Rutherford, Robby Gordon (along with team owner Derrick Walker), Al Unser Sr, Jr and his son and I think Bobby Unser too.

Stewart's cameo on Last Man Standing was really good too. He was so natural. And funnier than some of the regulars on the show even.

I remember Home Improvement, Tim Allen always talking about Indycar and Indy drivers but towards the end NASCAR was mentioned more. One episode they were camping and Tim went on about Dale Earnhardt and I think Tony Stewart. I was actually surprised. But then again, not really due to Indycar taking a nose dive in American auto racing and NASCAR was hitting its stride.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Arghh...arghhh...arghhhh

The thing I loved about that show is the actress who played the mother could never keep a straight face due to Tim's improvisation, so they just kept her laughing as part of the scene.

That and Wilson, Ha, you can't see his face, ha ha ha ha.

King of the Hill sucks. Of all the animation I've seen (and I've tried to get into them all) the only one that didn't really fly with me was KOTH and Bob's Burgers. And I have very low standards.
Maybe it's a joke that only works in the US, I dunno.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I agree. King Of The Hill was one of the most boring cartoons I've had the misfortune to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

At the expense of keeping this thread in a state of derailment, I wanna talk 'toons too!

I watched the first season or so of The Cleveland Show but I sort of got tired of it. Though I think their Die-Hard Christmas special episode was fucking incredible.

Overall I am still a big fan of McFarlane's other two shows. I actually prefer American Dad the most, especially because of Roger. And Family Guy has actually made a bit of a rebound in the past couple seasons IMO though. I understand the complaints about it being plagued with filler and too many of the cutaways a couple years ago, but the past two seasons have had much stronger stories and even a few surprisingly good, heartfelt moments mixed in as well. And that one episode with nothing but Brian and Stewie locked in the bank vault was very well-done.

And I really liked King of the Hill as well. I can see why Gaara would say it's boring but I think its subtlety (at times) was its strength, especially once you're invested in the characters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe you have to know the setting to find it funny. Arland TX in KOTH is based on Garland TX, which is where my grandparents live. It truly is that boring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home Improvement was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:37 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I don't think so Woodski

(I do think so Woodski)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

American Dad is so fuckin good. Show needs more attention. Reminds me of Futurama back in the day but better. The fiance and I always watch American Dad at 10 on Adult Swim when in bed. Roger is great and so is Stan and Steve. And I love that Patrick Stewart is Stans boss.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah Patrick Stewart gets everywhere these days.....

"And I've seen everything..."

I don't get why American Dad/Family Guy is shown on Adult Swim as well as FOX over there....are the episodes extended? :?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

King of the Hill was BOSS. The only people who dislike it are people who didn't take the time to learn the characters. And it never ran out of story lines... the best episode that never happened is the episode in which ladybird dies.

Having said that, I enjoy the Cleveland Show.

O, there is a race at Bristol this weekend? Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

King of the Hill was hit-and-miss. Some are hilarious, but it's mostly boring. But then again, you have to invest in the characters, something that I didn't do growing up.

Family Guy has gone downhill, but I agree with Chris A. From what I've seen, it's coming back.

The Cleveland Show was pure dogshit, tho.

Let's get back on topic. It's something we definitely could continue over in the TV thread.

Hamlin has chosen to drop the appeal. Will he pay up? That remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

From what I've read, Hamlin has decided to drop the appeal and he's standing his ground on not paying the fine. Which likely means NASCAR will be taking the money from his prize funds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So let me get this straight. Hamlin drops the appeal saying he doesn't want to "drag this out" and all that... but then says he won't pay the fine either. What?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm 

Further proof that Hamlin is an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This might be interesting. This is from jayski.com.

Quote:
It's a big year for Graham Rahal, who for the first time in his career will be the top driver on his team. As the IndyCar driver embarks on his first season with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, Rahal is also looking to fill his schedule with at least one NASCAR race. Rahal wants to run the inaugural Nationwide Series race at hometown track Mid-Ohio and has been actively searching for a ride. "I want to do it really bad," he said this week. "I'd like to do more, actually, just because I think it would be fun. But Mid-Ohio is the one I'm really trying to make happen and trying to find an opportunity." The road course in Lexington, Ohio, is roughly an hour away from Rahal's hometown of Columbus and the race falls on an open date in the IndyCar schedule. It makes Mid-Ohio a natural fit for the potential NASCAR debut for the 24-year-old Rahal, who stressed he is not trying to change series. He's just exploring. "Finding a way to do Mid-Ohio is the priority right now, but I'd love to do an oval at some point," Rahal said. "I was watching the race at Las Vegas this weekend and was thinking someday I'd like to try it - not because I want a career change, but because one-offs would be fun. Our schedule certainly has the time."

I think a team will give him a chance to run at Mid-Ohio since it's his home track and the Rahal family is very popular in the state of Ohio. I just wonder what team will give him a chance? I can see a multi-car team that fields an entry with multiple drivers the full season or a car running a partial schedule. Teams like Penske, Roush, Gibbs, RCR, Turner-Scott and JR Motorsports are teams that come to mind as teams that might enter Graham Rahal at Mid-Ohio.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1534 535 536 537 5381060 Next