TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21197 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1514 515 516 517 5181060 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm normally of the "who cares" persuasion when it comes to celebrity relationships as well. But my view on this one (obviously IF it's true) is a little different because it could be interesting to see how it does or doesn't affect their actions in competition. I know we had Elton Sawyer and Patty Moise racing in the same series back in the mid-90s but I don't really recall them being anywhere near each other on track that often.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Clint 'Eastwood' Bowyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It'd really make testing interesting if most teams ran with a "run whatever the fuck you feel like" livery, no worries about NASCAR rules, sponsor commitments etc.

Could generate some good publicity in the off season bar the usual wrecking too....

Anyway, Autosport might be drunk tonight judging by how little sense made by some of the quotes in this article.

Quote:
NASCAR sure new Sprint Cup car will deliver better racing in 2013
Saturday, January 19th 2013, 20:44 GMT

NASCAR Sprint Cup organisers are optimistic that the new Gen-6 car will deliver better racing than its predecessor following pre-season testing.

Last year there was concern at the number of processional races and events decided by fuel mileage.

After group tests with the new car at Charlotte and Daytona, NASCAR's vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said data and drivers' feedback suggested it was a 'racier' machine.

"We where last year's car was," he said. "With the input that we've got about aerodynamics and how cars are around each other, we set out to make a car better than that.

"Our goal was to start better than we left the last car, and we do have better numbers on the car.

"I think the drivers' confidence that they can hustle the car a little bit more will be there once they get their set-ups fine-tuned."

Cup series director John Darby added that there had been a determined effort to address the Gen-5 car's shortcomings in close racing.

"There's just a whole list of things, and all of those were in an effort to close up the competition a little," he said.

Veteran driver Jeff Burton, who has raced at Cup level since 1993, believes the changes are paying off, particularly the increase in downforce.

"My theory is based on years of experience and watching what's going on with this sport, how it's evolved," Burton said.

"The better the cars are stuck in the race track, the closer the cars run to each other. Especially on big tracks, the better the grip is, the closer the action can be."

Darby was particularly pleased with the Daytona tests, where it appeared the unpopular tandem drafting of recent years had been eradicated.

Asked if he planned any tweaks to the technical rules prior to next month's Daytona 500, Darby replied: "Hell no, I wouldn't change anything. I just can't wait to get back there."

Pasted because they'll probably fix it in the morning.

Aside from the "Well, he's bound to say that, isn't he?" factor, I'm not sure I agree with the theory that more DOWNFORCE=better racing...
Obviously Goodyear aren't going to produce a halfway decent tyre any time soon so I guess they just tried to make things better another way....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think they mean more downforce in the draft, last years car was notorious for it's insane push when following someone close, this years bodies are messier aerodynamically so should produce a better wake, when they took the downforce off last year it made the racing worse.

According to those that know these things, they were able to draft up and slingshot past at Charlotte from over a second back, last year that never have happened.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apparently, the new cars have a whole new underbody that increase dependence on ground effects and offset clean air advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We'll only know when they race a track that isn't Daytona what the racing will be like, until then that article is all PR speak (what the fuck does "racier" mean anyway). Tires and shocks are the big problem now, don't see anything happening with the tires and not sure if the shocks are different in the gen 6 car?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Rookie of the Year Class in the Nationwide Series now has a new canidate in the mix.

http://teamrab.com/alex-bowman-to-compete-for-2013-nascar-nationwide-series-rookie-of-the-year-honors-in-rab-racings-no-99-toyota-camry/

I'm glad to see Alex Bowman get a chance in the Nationwide Series. He ran very well in ARCA and looked pretty good in the couple of Nationwide Events he ran last year. It looks like Robby Benton is going to field 2 cars this year with Kenny Wallace scheduled to run 9 races, maybe more of more sponsorship is found.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They're preparing to completely overhaul the grandstands at Daytona, and redevelop some other places around the facility.
http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway ... DPROMO1742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Was just about to upload a pic, looks completely non-daytona in my opinion. Kind of sad.

There is no way in hell they will sell enough tickets to fill that many seats.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah I don't mind. Upgrades are eventually necessary. Some of those seats still have the old folding chair look. Looks like they are taking out some of the first few rows in the tri oval as well. Seats in which the sight lines suck anyway. In fact, the views from the back of the grandstands make it look very ball parkish like you'd find in MLB. I also wonder if they will be doing anything with the backstretch grandstands since they only have them open in Feb now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Hey at least there's still grass in the tri-oval.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ugh....reason number 1,954,097,613,790 to hate ESPN; They just made the woeful attempt to talk Nascar on SportsCenter.....apparently to them Robin Pemberton is Brian France.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Grandstands remind me of Las Vegas for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe4345 wrote:
Ugh....reason number 1,954,097,613,790 to hate ESPN; They just made the woeful attempt to talk Nascar on SportsCenter.....apparently to them Robin Pemberton is Brian France.....

NASCAR is like a running joke to SC. Unless there's a fight or some ridiculous wreck, they just cram a short highlights package between the stick and ball sports packages.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuck ESPN and SPORTSCENTER. They barley cover Hockey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

zippy wrote:
Was just about to upload a pic, looks completely non-daytona in my opinion. Kind of sad.

There is no way in hell they will sell enough tickets to fill that many seats.

Might wanna tell the pilots they're a bit late for the fly-over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

tell the drivers they've reduced the track width by 50% and their netcode is shit too :)

oh and pitlane is now 5 acres wide.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:33 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Looks like they're also planning to spray some purple shit all over the track at the back there, looks crap.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You just know Bruton Smith is already planning to outdo their renovation plans by tenfold over at Charlotte.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21197 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1514 515 516 517 5181060 Next