TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: How to Fix Formula 1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:02 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I don't like how the engines are quiet, but personally, there isn't much wrong with F1 at the moment. The last 4 races have been great :)

All that needs to be changed is bring back France and South Africa. Less of these money races like Bahrain.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 am 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

Change the fuel limit. Make it a fixed minimum for a race. Then it can be set at a lvl that is still trying to be environmentally friendly, as they are now, but stops drivers having to hold back because it's a track like Canada or they under fueled expecting a safety car.
This is a minimum that is set depending upon the track.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:30 am 

Now I come to think of it, go back to 2 metre car width.

Also, limit the number of people that can cross the red line to work on the cars. Then to eliminate the stacking, one pit stall per car. There is enough room for it at most tracks.

F1 needs to connect with the fans more through social media. NASCAR, IndyCar, Tudor, MotoGP - they all have dedicated Twitter, Facebook, YouTube pages with series info, updates, videos. F1 has pretty much nothing - there is the FIA Facebook page, but that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Believe in the product more.

If you NEED to make on track changes, Ground effect plz.

But F1's "problems" are completely off track. Believe in the product, market it better, bring it to where people want (IE Social media, youtube etc) and market it as the best cars and drivers on the planet.

Also drop the insistence of hiding either half or the full championship behind a paywall on TV. I don't care how much money the broadcasters in each country pay, if you lose touch with the casual audience, you might as well give up now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racing is fine. Can only comment on the sound in 3 weeks when I've been to spa. But I want them to race on tracks where there is tradition of racing and not in places like azerbeijan, china, india, korea, etc ... I want to see full grandstands at every race. If a track fails to fill the stands several years in a row don't go there anymore (watch out hockenheim).

And better tv coverage. More fta again and better tv direction. Currently it is below par

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
increase F1 cars width as the tracks are getting more wider and those slim cars doesn't look good to me

and switch qualifying for a session with one lap only (or two) for all cars, just like it happened 2003-2005 with super soft quali tyres so we can see the fastest in a clean track

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:59 pm 

They need to embrace youtube. I am not a big NBA fan but I watch it. If it wasnt for their amazing youtube stuff I wouldn't, classic clips, compilations, top 10s coming out the yazoo. It was this that brought me in as I saw stuff and thought "cool!". Do this for F1 and it could attract lots of new fans as they see how good it can be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:07 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Saturday - Sunday weekends.

Practice 1 and 2 (like Friday) on Saturday
Morning warm up and Grand Prix on Sunday
-> grid order: reverse championship standings

moreover: ban all form of radio communication.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
- Give the cars more downforce. They've slowly and slowly been taking the downforce away, I think it's time to bring 10-15% back. I don't mind the look of the cars, but they would look much better if the rear wings were lower and wider. Front wings are fine.

Agree on the looks, but find some way to do it without increasing the amount of donwforce. The less they have, the more lively the cars get and the closer they can follow each other.

Tobias wrote:
-> grid order: reverse championship standings.

Hilariously unreasonable idea, but +1000 to this. I mean it. I wish they would try it at least for one race someday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:03 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Bernie can easily fix F1, by hiring mobsters to get rid of all the whiners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

- Remove DRS
- Make the cars easier to follow each other in the corners (ground effects?), and give them less effective brakes to increase braking zones.
- Put down grass or gravel by the edge of the circuit to stop this 'track limits' crap.
- Stop building all new circuits to the same boring specifications. Narrower width, less Tarmac run offs, less long straights leading into hairpins. Actual memorable corners.
- Stop raping old circuits because they need 'upgrading'. If the teams can't fit their massive motor homes in, so what? Why do they need to bring all this fancy expense to the circuits?
- A more affordable formula that encourages teams to find the best drivers, not the ones that buy their way to the top.
- More than 26 entries. More seats for more drivers. Who cares if some of the teams suck? Have 26 starters and the bad teams won't qualify anyway.
- What everyone else is saying about YouTube and social media.
- More affordable ticket prices and better fan access. F1 could actually learn from NASCAR here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

De Cesaris fan wrote:
- Stop raping old circuits because they need 'upgrading'. If the teams can't fit their massive motor homes in, so what? Why do they need to bring all this fancy expense to the circuits?

To wine and dine the millionaires who run the companies who spend millions sponsoring the teams to run this sport. Given how much money Petronas pay Mercedes, I bet they won't be happy with a garden shed and some sandwiches.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Remove some of the restrictions like no mandatory use of both tyre types. Want to try a 1-stopper or even a no-stopper? Go ahead have fun.

Less pansy knee-jerking when cars touch, has been done already however.

Reduce dirty air to a minimum. DRS hopefully will get obsolete because of that so drop it.
Limit the pitboxes so there is more room for more teams.
Don't fine them a million and a buck if a team doesn't make it to race. The big teams will show up. The teams that don't show up probably only qualified once or twice anyways.
Lower the entry fee.
Look into customer cars but avoid situations where 2 or 3 teams run the current car which happens to dominate the field. At least 1 year old cars can be sold to others.
Allow 1-car teams
Allow different sponsor paintschemes within teams. Really, if fans cannot understand which car their favorite driver is in, we're dumber than the average NASCAR fan lot's of people put down for being a dumb redneck.

Less panicky about modern things like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc. If someone posts the full race hours after the race online, yeah bitch about it. If someone posts a cool pass or crash without injuries look the other way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tobias wrote:
Saturday - Sunday weekends.

Practice 1 and 2 (like Friday) on Saturday
Morning warm up and Grand Prix on Sunday
-> grid order: reverse championship standings

moreover: ban all form of radio communication.

What do you have against the 3 day format? I think it is great to have 3 days of F1, expecially when you go to a race in another country, you get 3 days of action and makes the trip worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I's also ban parc ferme rules and a 30 minute warmup before race if conditions change from saturday to sunday to allow wet weather racing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:26 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

micha wrote:
Remove some of the restrictions like no mandatory use of both tyre types. Want to try a 1-stopper or even a no-stopper? Go ahead have fun.

Less pansy knee-jerking when cars touch, has been done already however.

Reduce dirty air to a minimum. DRS hopefully will get obsolete because of that so drop it.
Limit the pitboxes so there is more room for more teams.
Don't fine them a million and a buck if a team doesn't make it to race. The big teams will show up. The teams that don't show up probably only qualified once or twice anyways.
Lower the entry fee.
Look into customer cars but avoid situations where 2 or 3 teams run the current car which happens to dominate the field. At least 1 year old cars can be sold to others.
Allow 1-car teams
Allow different sponsor paintschemes within teams. Really, if fans cannot understand which car their favorite driver is in, we're dumber than the average NASCAR fan lot's of people put down for being a dumb redneck.

Less panicky about modern things like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc. If someone posts the full race hours after the race online, yeah bitch about it. If someone posts a cool pass or crash without injuries look the other way.

I agree with these. Allowing 3-car teams would also be good, if you allow 1-car teams.

But what I feel would help a lot is this:

Dump the PPV-deals, make the championship available for great audience. Finland used to have 20 - 50% of the population watching the races when they were shown live on free channels. And people went to pubs to watch it too. Now there's about 5-10% of people watching and there's practically no casual viewers. When you get a good portion of population watching your show, you don't have to care about people's Youtube videos. And so what if someone is watching bits from youtube. IF they get interested about your product, they'll find your official channel much more useful.

Also, if we keep the Rule changes to minimum from today, I'd change the qualifying a bit. Remove the fuel flow and boost limits, allow special qualifying fuel and qualifying tires. Let the teams run their ERS on full tilt in qualifying, if they want so. I'd like to see qualifying be more about pure speed and have more engineering freedom for the one flying lap. If someone blows it, he'll start from the back of the field.

And make inters and wets better! Maybe the inters should not last more than 10 laps and wets should move more water without being that slow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why do we always have to assume that F1 needs fixing? Seems all this fixing has infact broken it. Its simple really, fastest drivers, best looking and fastest cars, best teams and best race tracks. Rest will take care of itself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Why do we always have to assume that F1 needs fixing? Seems all this fixing has infact broken it. Its simple really, fastest drivers, best looking and fastest cars, best teams and best race tracks. Rest will take care of itself.

There are enough things that can be better. Some of my suggestions are not directly on-track related but could improve the financial position of teams and that could improve their performance as well.
There are a few things that just aren't actual anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Basically: the sport needs to work out if it wants to be able to market itself as pure racing: the fastest possible cars racing uninhibited flat out for 2 hours every sunday.

OR if it wants to market itself as something entertaining.

At the moment it seems to be falling between two stools. Purism vs entertainment

Basically, they're incompatible.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley